Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Shoulder pain from sitting in desk chair

2,031 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The weirdest thing: when I sit in my desk chair for too long, my right should begins to ache. It gets progressively worse the longer I sit. I try getting up and moving around, taking walks, etc., but once it begins to ache it won't stop until I go to sleep. I wake up in the morning without any noticeable discomfort...until I get back to work.

Anyone experience something similar. Sucks ass, to be sure. Started happening just as I was 3 months in to very healthy lifestyle change and losing weight. I wasn't going hard with weights or anything, so it isn't like it was a gym related injury. It just appeared one day. Feels like nerve pain.
AggieOO
pinched nerve?
The Lost
Could be a posture issue. Do you lean on your arm or force it into the arm rest/desk? I had an issue from doing that at one point.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I had a very similar issue with my rhomboid area on the left side of my back that would bother me like crazy sitting at my desk and holding our baby. I started going to a chiropractor and it's amazing how much it's improved. I was always very skeptical of chiropractors, but the guy I've been going to has made me a believer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I had an issue develop several years ago. Started using my left hand to work my mouse and it cleared up. I'll only mouse righthanded if my desk is configured in a way where I can rest my arm on it (ie the desk makes a 90 degree angle where there is a portion that wraps around to my right).
Hoosegow
This will fix you

http://www.roguefitness.com/donnie-thompson-casual-bow-tie
Class of '94
Stat Monitor Repairman
Have the same thing. Traced it to slouching over to one side at the compter desk using a mouse with my right hand. The slouching also cause lumbar pain on the right side.

Chiropractor, stretching, exerciseand a stand up desk helps.
Swarely
That looks interesting. Have you ever used one?
Swarely
To answer the OP- when mine happened I went to a massage therapist a couple times, started doing yoga, and raised my desk to force me to sit up straight.

Also started doing posture exercises at my desk.
Potcake
AG
Not sure if it is an option for you but I switched to a standup monitor/keyboard 6-7 months ago. Had lower back and locked knee issues for a couple of months but no problems now. I only use chair at lunch to eat and power nap.
oldarmy76
I've been dealing with this for 6 years. Moving to a standing desk and mousing only with left hand has fixed about 60-70 percent. If I sit or mouse right handed, my whole body breaks down...
BQ2001
AG
My work put in sit stand desks that adjust to exactly where you want and they are great. If you are limited to sitting, maybe ymtry taking your wallet out. My hips used to get sore when sitting all day and I just started taking my wallet out and it helped a lot.
Potcake
AG
This. I used to get hip pain from wallet during games at Kyle.
bigtruckguy3500
No need to show off how thick your wallets are.
Potcake
AG
It wasn't from Benjamins and black AE cards. It was multiple 20 year old Trojans.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Might want to double check your chair. Had similar issues until I realized my work chair wasn't level. Got a new, level chair and the problem went away
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Thanks all.
Heisenberg01
AG
Had the same issue. Wound up getting a cortisone shot for it and had to do PT. Start doing a lot of exercise band work especially strengthening your back muscles. As others have stated it's a posture issue. I now have a standup desk that works great. I've seen others use an exercise ball for their chair while sitting at their desk, if that is something you are comfortable doing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Kettlebells baby. They suck ass, but they reverse all the damage sitting all day does to your body.
Hoosegow
Exercise ball for a chair is silly
Class of '94
RG20
You talking about swings or other kb execises?
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoosegow said:

This will fix you

http://www.roguefitness.com/donnie-thompson-casual-bow-tie
Have you used one? I'm really considering it. I know that I have a posture issue and I have been favoring that shoulder since surgery back in 2010 (weight lifter's shoulder ac repair. I had just broken that 315 mark, too. No more bench for me since).
Hoosegow
I have the formal one and use it all the time - going to and from work, the gym, squatting, etc. I would not recommend the formal one to most people. I think it'd be a bit much for regs. The casual probably works best for most
Class of '94
Geriatric Punk
AG
Thanks, my man. I'm going to give it a shot.
Hoosegow
Let me know how it works out for you.
Class of '94
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
RG20 said:

You talking about swings or other kb execises?

Yeah mostly swings for lower back stuff, but I do a lot of different stuff with them too for general mobility improvement. They work great. Between that and yoga twice a week I don't have any problems anymore.

If you are looking for a new workout, I would highly recommend going to Onnit.com and checking out their academy section. It's completely free, and they have tons of different workouts for every type of excercise you can imagine. Kettlebells, ropes, barbells, whatever you want to do they have a bunch of videos and instructions on proper form. They also have a great recipe section for healthy eating. It's a fantastic website.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoosegow said:

Let me know how it works out for you.

Came today. Wore it for a couple of hours. The correction I noticed most was when I used my phone. I never noticed how much I rolled my shoulders. It will be interesting to see how things progress.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.