Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running stride

1,606 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigemJTH12
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is going to sound stupid, but I think my stride might be hurting my progress. Does anyone have any good resources for learning how to run?
The Pilot
AG
how did you come to that conclusion?
aggiespartan
AG
My calves are almost always tight, so my husband watched me and he said it looked like I was taking weird short steps and not extending my legs somehow and not pushing off enough. My toes go numb too, and I have only found 1 pair of shoes that this doesn't happen in. Beginning to wonder if it has something to do with how I run. I've tried to lengthen my stride but it feels like I'm using much more energy to do that.
theeyetest
Where do you normally run? Outside or on a treadmill?
aggiespartan
AG
gigemtrev said:

Where do you normally run? Outside or on a treadmill?
outside
bigtruckguy3500
When I was a heel striker I used to have a long stride, and it felt weird shortening it and turning up my cadence. Now that I'm a midfoot striker, it feels weird to try to become a heel striker with a longer strike.

If you really need to adjust your stride, it'll just take time. If your calves are tight and you're a midfoot/forefoot striker, make sure you're not running on your toes, and you're letting your heel come all the way down before pushing off.
NoahAg
Quote:

My toes go numb too
That sounds more like a shoe issue. Laced too tight, or narrow toe box.
aggiespartan
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

My toes go numb too
That sounds more like a shoe issue. Laced too tight, or narrow toe box.
I've tried several pairs of shoes and several ways of lacing. It comes and goes during a run. The only shoes that it doesn't happen in (at all) are Nike Frees and those don't have much padding. Still looking for more shoes, though. I've been fitted at a running store, and they always recommend shoes that don't work - I've tried them and returned them.
htxag09
AG
Interesting. I used to have that, loosened up my laces and haven't had it since.
AggieOO
you running in a low/no drop shoe?
aggiederelict
The heel has a fat pad on it for a reason.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

you running in a low/no drop shoe?
Right now I'm running in Nike Frees because they are the only ones that don't make my toes go numb. I just got a pair of Nike LunarGlides that I'm trying out, and they are better than the Brooks pair I had, but I still have a little bit of numbness.

The thing that makes me think that it isn't the shoe is that it comes and goes during my run. In the Brooks shoes I just tried, toes went number after about .2 mile. In the LunarGlides, sometimes it takes longer, but it will go away and sometimes come back.

So I believe the answer to your question is, yes.
coop-aero-06
AG
aggiespartan said:

My calves are almost always tight, so my husband watched me and he said it looked like I was taking weird short steps and not extending my legs somehow and not pushing off enough. My toes go numb too, and I have only found 1 pair of shoes that this doesn't happen in. Beginning to wonder if it has something to do with how I run. I've tried to lengthen my stride but it feels like I'm using much more energy to do that.
How long are your runs? I ran on the treadmill for about 2 hours last night and my shins felt really tight and my hamstrings felt terrible for about the first 20 minutes. But, eventually I got warm and loosened up and ended up feeling fine. If you are going out for a 5 mile run, maybe take the first 1-2 miles really easy to loosen up. If you are going out for a 2 mile run, maybe try to do something to warm up the legs before running.

As for the toes going numb, I would guess that it's a shoe fit issue, or tightening the laces too tight. I try to always err on the side of loose shoelaces.
aggiespartan
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

aggiespartan said:

How long are your runs? I ran on the treadmill for about 2 hours last night and my shins felt really tight and my hamstrings felt terrible for about the first 20 minutes. But, eventually I got warm and loosened up and ended up feeling fine. If you are going out for a 5 mile run, maybe take the first 1-2 miles really easy to loosen up. If you are going out for a 2 mile run, maybe try to do something to warm up the legs before running.

As for the toes going numb, I would guess that it's a shoe fit issue, or tightening the laces too tight. I try to always err on the side of loose shoelaces.
My runs are not very long. I am just a beginner, although I've been a beginner several times. My long is about a 5k right now and I'm alternating between running and walking. I've been stretching before and after. I've never been able to get much better.
theeyetest
This is odd. It sounds like a blood circulation issue almost.
bigtruckguy3500
Run barefoot. That'll determine if it's the shoe or how you run.

But don't go out and run 2 miles barefoot, as you'll likely end up injuring yourself. You'd have to start at maybe 1/2 mile and build up slowly from there.
frorge
AG
I've found my toes go numb because the shoe is too narrow and any Nike I've ever worn was extremely narrow. I mainly wear New Balance.

aggiespartan
AG
frorge said:

I've found my toes go numb because the shoe is too narrow and any Nike I've ever worn was extremely narrow. I mainly wear New Balance.

My Nike Frees are the only ones that it hasn't happened in. I've tried several different brands/shoes.

Last night I went for a run, and I don't think I have been landing on my heels at all. I tried to adjust it and it felt weird, but my toes didn't go numb until the last half of my run (it usually happens at the beginning). I think at that point, I might have been overthinking it.
agcivengineer
AG
Id get a lacross or baseball size ball and roll on it on your butt. Id also get a hard roller and have your spouse roll your calves after exercising. I was loosing feeling in my legs just sitting in my car, and in my toes when cycling. I started doing that and it fixed me right up. Stretching and rolling on foam rollers did not do it for me.
aggiespartan
AG
agcivengineer said:

Id get a lacross or baseball size ball and roll on it on your butt. Id also get a hard roller and have your spouse roll your calves after exercising. I was loosing feeling in my legs just sitting in my car, and in my toes when cycling. I started doing that and it fixed me right up. Stretching and rolling on foam rollers did not do it for me.
We just ordered a stick roller yesterday. We had a lacrosse ball, but it's no where to be found. I'll have to pick up another one.
aggiederelict
Might want to have your running form looked at.
The Pilot
AG
I would have someone look at your form and evaluate that. The problem with changing your gait is that your body will naturally want to revert back to however you've been running your whole life. It can take a long time to fully transition over. Soreness could also be a cause of doing too much, either running or a combination of other activities.
aggiespartan
AG
The Pilot said:

I would have someone look at your form and evaluate that. The problem with changing your gait is that your body will naturally want to revert back to however you've been running your whole life. It can take a long time to fully transition over. Soreness could also be a cause of doing too much, either running or a combination of other activities.
Where would I go to have someone do that?
aggiederelict
Where are you located?
aggiespartan
AG
aggiederelict said:

Where are you located?
Portland, OR
aggiederelict
Should be plenty of places to do that there. Very active running community. Let me look up some places for you.
aggiederelict
Therapydia has good reviews. Give them a ring. I just looked at gait analysis on yelp.
aggiespartan
AG
aggiederelict said:

Therapydia has good reviews. Give them a ring. I just looked at gait analysis on yelp.
Thanks!
BobSacamano
One thing to keep in mind is that you can have both a long stride and quick cadence. Where the confusion lies is conflating long stride with "reaching out" and landing way ahead of your body. This will get you injured and slow you down. While you do in fact technically land slightly ahead of your body, you never want to think of it this way. Instead, think about your foot landing under your frame as you move forward. With that said, a long stride will come from leg kick. There are excellent tutorials on YouTube and you should also watch videos of elites.
gigemJTH12
AG
had the same thing happen to me. I started a thread about it. Had a bunch of blood tests and circulation tests done. Never figured out what it was. Just ran through the pain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.