Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Black bear kills teen during mountain race in Alaska

745 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link

I ran the Anchorage Marathon last year and saw a medium sized black bear around mile 11, luckily he didn't charge. It still made my heart skip a beat and I had a race official on a bike within close proximity.
AggieOO
link doesn't work, but i've seen this posted about 50 times in the past day on FB.

really sucks/sad, but this is a freak thing.
Presley OBannons Sword
I'll be in Denali in five days. Hope I live.
coop-aero-06
AG
Very sad to hear about that. As I've been trail running a lot more over the last few years, I've talked to numerous people who have encountered bears. All of them say that there really isn't anything to worry about as long as you aren't threatening the bear or as long as you don't run across a mama who is protecting her cubs. So I tend to believe the official who said that it's as rare as getting struck by lightning for a bear to just attack like that.

It's just a good reminder to be vigilant when out on the trails. Aside from trying to actually run, I'm also alternating between looking 2-6 feet in front of me so I don't accidentally step on a rattlesnake, and looking at my surroundings for other wildlife.
option short side
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Went to Denali for the first time time last Summer. I had the absolute best time of my life. We stayed 3 days but really only hiked 1. If you haven't been you must go see the sled dog kennels. Those dogs are absolutely beautiful and physically amazing
Presley OBannons Sword
there was just another fatal black bear mauling in Alaska
Presley OBannons Sword
option short side said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

Went to Denali for the first time time last Summer. I had the absolute best time of my life. We stayed 3 days but really only hiked 1. If you haven't been you must go see the sled dog kennels. Those dogs are absolutely beautiful and physically amazing
same for me actually. I took sort of a last minute trip there last summer, ended up doing three days and two nights in the park. wanted to go back this year to do it right. hopefully doing it right does not include being eaten.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.