Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Eating fruit while trying to lose weight

2,734 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Na Zdraví 87
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in a weight loss mode.

I have a smoothie in the morning with a half banana, and about a cup of frozen peaches, scoop of whey and a half cup to whole cup of goat's milk.
I eat a small apple for a snack mid morning. I eat another small apple late afternoon for another snack.
I also have some sweet cherries and blueberries on hand to snack on in the evening. Probably another cup total of those two or a little more.
Most nights when I get up to go to the bathroom ( I drink a LOT of water all day and in to the evening), I'll have another handful of cherries or blueberries.

All of this goes with eating clean for lunch and supper and no alcohol. My calculated calorie intake is below my maintain level.
Will too much fruit hinder weight loss?
Aggietaco
AG
The biggest danger with too much fruit is (primarily) carbs and sugar. If you are tracking within all of your macros and not blowing through your carbs, my uneducated brain can't see any issue with eating as much fruit as you do
P.U.T.U
AG
Sugar is sugar. Sounds like a lot of fruit and not much veggies or good fat/protein. Your body will think you for the switch and you would have to snack as much
gigemJTH12
AG
a general rule a lot of experts follow with fruit is to only eat berries.

Also, that seems like way too much fruit. replace some of those snack with carrots/celery and a little hummus or peanut butter.
bigtruckguy3500
Agree on more veggies. But, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be afraid of the sugar in fruit, because you're also getting fiber and a bunch of micronutrients. Moderate amounts of carbs also keep your metabolism from crashing.
slacker00
AG
You could eat only twinkies and lose weight by sticking to your calorie requirements. It's not healthy but it would work from a weight loss standpoint. Fruit is better than twinkies, but there are even better choices out there for the bulk of your calories and would help you form good sustainable eating habits for the long term.
ww
AG
Interested in this topic, as well.

I try to limit my liquid fruit intake (fruit based smoothies), as I previously think a daily (probably too large) smoothie hindered my weight loss.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Agree with PP, try and sub your fruit for low fat protein. Nut butters are good protein but are really a fat source if you are trying to lose weight.

Instead of a smoothie consider a protein breakfast like eggs so you are not craving fruit all day. A handful of berries after dinner can help kick the dessert craving. Good luck!
bigtruckguy3500
Disagree with the recommendation to avoid fat. Avoiding fat doesn't help you lose weight. Even though fat is calorie dense, it is often more satiating than low fat foods. Also, nut butters are considered pretty healthy source of fats.
theeyetest
As long as your under your daily caloric matinence, you'll lose weight/fat.

Eat as much fruit as you want.
P.U.T.U
AG
Do not eat all the fruit you want. Rhesus monkey fructose diet study. Yes berries and other fruit have their parts but your diet should consist mainly of a good protein source and veggies. Ever heard of an essential carbohydrate? That's because your body does not need them

Quote:

we demonstrate that a highfructose diet in rhesus monkeys produces insulin resistance and many features of the metabolic syndrome, including central obesity, dyslipidemia, and inflammation within a short period of time; moreover, a subset of monkeys developed type 2 diabetes.
Fat is your friend and often fat free foods are loaded with sugar. As stated nut butters (or nuts in general), humus, cheese, etc. are a good snack that have good fats in them. Eat some fruit but attach a healthy fat to it.
AggieChemist
AG
Reminds me of an old joke:

What do you get when you shoot a monkey with a bazooka?

Rhesus Pieces
bigtruckguy3500
So that study involved giving a fructose beverage. Fruit has fructose in it, but it also contains glucose in varying ratios. The issue with fructose is that it has to be metabolized by the liver, and most Americans already have livers full of glycogen, so all that fructose gets converted to triglycerides, and high TGs cause insulin resistance by a mechanism I can't remember.
gigemJTH12
AG
one thing is for sure, drinking fruit juice regularly is one of the worst things you can do.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Disagree with the recommendation to avoid fat. Avoiding fat doesn't help you lose weight. Even though fat is calorie dense, it is often more satiating than low fat foods. Also, nut butters are considered pretty healthy source of fats.

Yes they are a healthy source of fat, but when restricting calories specifically, can make your eating day a bit shorter. If they fit in your daily allotment, go for it. But they are a fat source and many people think that protein trumps fat, but it is still a ton of calories *when you are trying to drop weight.*
gigemJTH12
AG
also, you should get your blood work run and find out what rate you metabolize fat.

I dont know much about it, but I recently had it done.

My doctor told me I should cut back a little on even healthy fats because my body takes in a high % of the fat.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I will concentrate on adding some healthy fat when I eat fruits. So how much fruit is acceptable in a day?
2 cups? I was told by a friend nutritionist that 4 cups is ok as long as I add some healthy fat to it.
RedlineAg08
What you eat right now is too much. As said before, sugar is sugar, and any of it will diminish your weight loss potential.

I go by the guideline of "eat a little fruit" and by that I normally consume an apple a day, maybe an apple and a banana or some watermelon, etc.
Hobbes01
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

also, you should get your blood work run and find out what rate you metabolize fat.

I dont know much about it, but I recently had it done.

My doctor told me I should cut back a little on even healthy fats because my body takes in a high % of the fat.
I save all of my blood work over the years to look for trends, etc. What specifically do you look for to determine the "rate you metabolize fat"? Or is it some add-on analysis that you have to request?
gigemJTH12
AG
honestly I have no idea..I went in to see if my legs were getting proper circulation. And it was just something the cardiologist brought up to me while evaluating my blood.

I am 27 and eat really healthy. He said my bloodwork was perfect but by fat consumption could afford to be a little smaller.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Interesting! I am a 39 year old female and DEFINITELY metabolize fat less efficiently than others. I can tell when I consume the same calories with more fat calories I gain or maintain weight whereas if I consume my correct calories but reduce fat (in the form of nut butters, avocadoes and meat mostly, not sweets) I lose the weight. I recognize the importance of healthy fats in a balanced diet but metabolism is more complicated than that.
KidDoc
AG
I have been in Pediatrics since 1999 so I may be out of the loop on this but I've never heard of a test that can determine the rate at which you metabolize fat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
evan_aggie
AG
Years ago I lost about 90 lbs by lowering how many calories I was eating a day. I added exercise in the form of light jogging and weight lifting.

After dropping down to 145 I slowly put weight back on over the course of 10-12 years and hit 195-198. Subsequently, I began exercising again (much more vigorously), and got back down to 170 right now. I can see abs... 4, maybe an extra half on a good day.

Anyway, the one thing I've learned through this all is that everything should be consumed in balance and moderation. I eat all sorts of fruit. I eat all sorts of protein. I eat fats. I try NOT to a lot of junk food. I'm not snacking on Doritos, Cheetos, Little Debbies, etc.

I see all of these fad diets come and go and articles about special tricks and remain convinced that basic common sense is all you need. You could probably lose weight eating cookies and doritos all day long if you could not eat more than 2000 calories a day and still exercised. However, your overall nutrition and health would suffer.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
This is the approach I am taking. I am now keeping track of my overall calories, macros and making sure I get enough, but not too much, of each. And exercising. I'm feeling great and losing weight. I was eating too much fruit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.