Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Meniscus tear in knee..

1,084 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Corps Turd
1997aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone here successfully overcome this to eventually run again without pain?
03_Aggie
I'm not a big distance runner but I can "run" just fine. Mine was on the outside and it will occasionally swell up on the lower outside. It gets uncomfortable as it apparently starts pinching a nerve. I did a mile and a half on Sunday with a brace. Started to swell at the end but iced it and fine the next day.

Had it repaired a year ago in April. Possible that I tore it again I guess and that's the cause of the swelling again.
wangus12
AG
The 2nd time I blew my acl out playing soccer, I had a big tear in my medial meniscus. They did stitch it up during surgery for the ligament, but this was prior to running marathons which I do now with no knee issues
WestAustinAg
AG
Depends on how much miniscus they have to cut away. I have had surgery on both knees...one is perfectly normal and one can't handle stairs with out pain and it swells a bit with any use.
Endo Ag
AG
My wife did an Ironman 12 months after surgery for a meniscus tear.
aggiederelict
It really depends if they stitch it or cut it out and then how much they take out.

But that surgery has come under a lot of scrutiny lately as it often not needed and an easy momey maker for a practice.
strbrst777
While running a few years ago-- around 30,000 miles total--I felt pain in my left knee. After putting up with it for several days, I went to the orthodoc. It was a torn meniscus. He fixed it. About a year later, the same thing happened in the right knee. More surgery/fix. Both surgeries were outpatient. I had pain during the first three or four nights after the surgeries; I got up, walked a few steps and went back to bed. I don't recall exactly how long it took to get back to normal walk > little jog > run; but it not more than a few weeks before I felt back to normal. I ran several thousand miles after the surgeries. This morning, I walked three miles and ran one. (I am a very young 79.) Check with your orthodoc to get your options.
Corps Turd
AG
Just had mine repaired this morning.

I am a fairly consistent runner and hope to fully recover.

I will post updates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.