Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Braces question

1,582 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by loser97
Aggie_Eric98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The dentist told us our 7 year old needed braces, and he gave us 2 quotes, one using our insurance and one without. Not using insurance was about $1,200 cheaper, even though our insurance would cover $1,500 of it.

Is this normal? Should we get a second opinion?
ktownag08
AG
If it's cheaper without insurance go that route.

I'd also get a second opinion on the need for braces at age 7 in general before dropping that much. Obviously, I have no knowledge of your child's situation, but that's what I'd do.
Hoosegow
Oooo sounds shady as fug to me though I've been out of the orthodontist market for about 28 years. I always thought the rule was to wait until the permanent teeth are in. My uncle was one and I think all he does now is a professor. I'd text him and ask but he's a pen ez and wouldn't walk across the street to pizz on him if he was on fire, but I remember that's what he waited for on all us cousins - for the adult teeth to all come in.
agcivengineer
AG
I know they are starting kids earlier...i have 2 in braces now, buy not that early.
Wait...and get them by an orthodontist.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
FWIW, I know this isn't what you are asking but putting a kid in braces at that age is pointless imo, they're just going to have to need them again when they hit jr high/high school age.
Endo Ag
AG
Lots of ****ty information in this thread.

First comment is that I agree with what is posted above about speaking to an orthodontist. Don't have a gp do early intervention braces. There is way too much growth and development going on. The are lots of reasons to do braces on a seven year old, and in fact my daughter had them at that age.

Braces at her age are an intervention to correct a significant bite alignment or skeletal issue, not to ensure she has a perfect smile. She will in fact most likely require a second round of braces later. This possibility should be made clear.

I'm making an assumption that your dentist is using two fee schedules depending on your use of your insurance. This almost certainly violates his agreement with that company. That is not necessarily your problem, but does not reflect well upon the ethics of that dentist.

I'd recommend you go find an orthodontist for a free evaluation, and ask what the purpose of braces is and how likely it is she'll need braces again, as well as asking what the consequences of skipping round one might be.
TXTransplant
I'm taking my son (12) to get braces this morning. Our dentist didn't refer him to an orthodontist until he was close to losing his last baby tooth, and the orthodontist specifically waited until after the last baby tooth fell out.

My son also has friends who have had braces as young as 8-ish (not vary many, but it's not unheard of). And as other have stated, those kids often need a second round once the baby teeth are all gone.

Over the next few months, my son will get uppers and lowers, plus the equivalent of internal head gear. He will likely need wear them for two years, after which he will probably be fitted with a retainer.

The cost is $6k flat, all inclusive, regardless of whether we use insurance or not. I'm not enrolled in a plan that covers orthodontic work, so I'll opt to do a payment plan that allows me to utilize a limited purpose FSA and save the money tax-free. The office has been more than willing to work with me to figure out a payment plan that lets me maximize this benefit, but they have never waivered on cost.

I'd get a second opinion, for multiple reasons. As others have said, the orthodontist shouldn't charge you anything for a consult.
O.G.
True that not all braces are put on to correct a smile. Sometimes is jaw alignment etc....but 7 sounds pretty young.

Do some homework on finding the best one in your town and make sure its a real Ortho, not a dentist that also does ortho.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Thanks for the advice. My wife took him and when she told me $3,200 if we go through insurance and $2,200 if we pay out of pocket, it raised a red flag for me.
bert harbinson
AG
Endo Ag is exactly right. Early treatment is common, sometimes an integral part of the overall treatment, and not nearly as worrisome as the different fees. Get an orthodontist's opinion, maybe two, and have an orthodontist treat your child.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I'll tell you something...

I got braces in college...and hearing from other college students that got braces when they were younger, their teeth went back to the way they were before braces...they regretted not wearing their retainer..

I think when you are young, you don't appreciate braces...

Aggie_Eric98
AG
and to answer the question of weather he will need braces again, yes, they said around 12-13 he would need a second turn at them.
Absolute
AG
My daughter got them (sort of) around 10. With the understanding she would need a second round later.

The first round is more about adjusting the palette. Not a doctor or dentist, but something about the upper palette not being fused at that age, so adjustment / expansion is much easier. Her teeth spread out freaky fast. Then she had a couple different appliances. Went on about a year.

She is waiting now to get all of her permanent teeth to begin the second phase.

Pricewise our orthodontist welcomed insurance and the price was the same. Talk to some other kids friends parents. You'll get some recommendations. Pretty much ever kid we know goes to the same local guy here in Rowlett.
loser97
AG
First round usually includes expansion if necessary to allow the adult teeth to come in. Second round will be for the perfect smile.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.