Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Signed up for my first half marathon yesterday

5,130 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kbw01
kbw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will. I just changed jobs and I might have to drop out.
kbw01
AG
aggiespartan said:

kbw01 said:

Definitely, I have to check out my obligations with my fundraising team
let us know. We will be there for a couple of days before and after the race.
How is the training going? I should be good for the race.
aggiespartan
AG
Awesome that you are going to make it!

I'm still working on building up my base. It's taking me a lot longer than I thought, but I'm still optimistic. I'm not going to be too torn up if I have to walk some. Running is super hard for me.
O.G.
OP-
Too much advice on here already for me to add anything, but Congrats on signing up for your first 1/2!
kbw01
AG
You will do great, and it is supposed to be fun.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Just some friendly advice-you may want to condition yourself to use some sort of flip belt/fuel belt in time for the race, at least on runs over 5 miles. You'll want to consider carrying some Gu or a snack bar and perhaps a phone for music or timing if you don't have a watch. I carry chap stick and kleenex in my sports bra straps so I don't have to rummage for them in a pocket. Being in need of chap stick is the worst and makes me lose focus and want to die, but maybe it's a girl thing.

A few creature comforts on race day aren't necessary but may help you along the way while you make it through your first event. At the very least plan to have a zip pocket to carry your ID with you as you should any time you are running.

Congrats on your first half! You'll be addicted before too long! :-)
aggiespartan
AG
Jersey Girl said:

Just some friendly advice-you may want to condition yourself to use some sort of flip belt/fuel belt in time for the race, at least on runs over 5 miles. You'll want to consider carrying some Gu or a snack bar and perhaps a phone for music or timing if you don't have a watch. I carry chap stick and kleenex in my sports bra straps so I don't have to rummage for them in a pocket. Being in need of chap stick is the worst and makes me lose focus and want to die, but maybe it's a girl thing.

A few creature comforts on race day aren't necessary but may help you along the way while you make it through your first event. At the very least plan to have a zip pocket to carry your ID with you as you should any time you are running.

Congrats on your first half! You'll be addicted before too long! :-)
I've already gotten a spi belt and have been using it. I have to use my phone for the intervals I'm doing right now. I don't think I'll need music during the race because it's a rock n roll race. I want to take in everything around me. I may take my phone during the race just so I will have it at the finish line for pictures and whatnot. I haven't gotten to the point of needing gu or blocks yet, but I'm sure I will.

Maybe I will enjoy it at some point, but I'm still in the "oh my god, I'm dying" phase.
AggieOO
you really don't need gels for a half.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

you really don't need gels for a half.
That's what I hear. I may just do 1 though because it's at 4:00 p.m. and I may need a little boost.

I may need to get a bottle for my belt or a handheld water bottle for training. It seems like I get dehydrated pretty fast.
kbw01
AG
I am told if you are going to do gels or blocks to make sure you practice on a run to see how they affect your stomach. There is probably a free Gu gel station at mile 7, they are a R&R sponsor.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
No, the gels aren't mandatory but it falls under my list of "creature comforts" to bring along just in case. I don't feel bad at all about having one at mile 6 or so to put a little pep in my step, even if it's mostly in my head. And YES practice with anything before hand on the same schedule that you would use it in the race. I can't tolerate blocks AT ALL and only use certain brands and flavors of gels. I don't like taking anything but water from the relief tables because you never know what you are gonna get. I pack my own Nuun instead of the sugary Gatorade for example.

Anyway, what works for you best is just that...what works for you. :-)
GigEmAgs15
AG
I hadn't trained with gels but ended up eating about three packs during my race (they were passed out at a station around mile 9). It didn't affect me negatively, but I spent those last miles stressing over the notion that something could go wrong with my stomach....I wish I would have been more at ease and used them in training.....
aggiespartan
AG
My half marathon training program starts next week. Tonight, I'm not feeling totally defeated, and am slightly optimistic, so I'm calling that a win for the week.
kbw01
AG
aggiespartan said:

My half marathon training program starts next week. Tonight, I'm not feeling totally defeated, and am slightly optimistic, so I'm calling that a win for the week.
Gig'em!
aggiespartan
AG
kbw let us know if you are going to have some free time, and we can meet up. Our schedule is pretty open. We are staying at the Cosmopolitan. Flying in on Friday.
kbw01
AG
We wil, we are also flying in on friday and staying at the tropicana.
Kyle
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.