Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Signed up for my first half marathon yesterday

5,156 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kbw01
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Husband will be doing the full. It isn't until November, but I'm starting from pretty much nothing. Starting the Hal Higdon novice 1 program in August, but does anyone have any advice for building up a base until then?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Couch to 5 k
Then 5K to 10K bridge
Then go for the half

I'm running 5 miles this week. Started from NOTHING two months ago.
Phat32
AG
Tell yourself after your first run - "it will get easier" - cause it will.

Start at a super easy pace and go from there - no one starts at 6min miles.

Commit to the plan.
Wife is an Aggie
Make sure you have good shoes!
gigemJTH12
AG
I am on week 11 of Hal Higdon novice. Started from basically nothing except I have always been fit, but just from other means. (diet, lifting, crosffit)

I will say that the week day runs are the worst as you go along. then again I have 14 hour work days. and no time in the morning. So I have 5 mile mid week runs at 90 degrees after a 14 hour day (3 of which are driving)

My only advice: Dont miss a day. And during a run, just think about one think, "dont stop".
TriumphForks
AG
rasher said:

Tell yourself after your first run - "it will get easier" - cause it will.

Start at a super easy pace and go from there - no one starts at 6min miles.

Commit to the plan.
And to that I will add - not everyone gets to 6 minute miles (I am in this camp).

But seriously - half the battle is just signing up (motivation - your money is already in it!) and getting a training plan.
yestoast
bert harbinson
AG
Running 3 times a week is a reasonable goal before starting Higdon, slowly increasing the mileage. Your immediate goal is to find a comfortable pace, and as you increase the mileage it's ok to slow down or walk a little, just keep going. If you're in Texas and running outdoors, the other challenge will be training in the heat. But if you can do that, running in November will feel like heaven. Good luck!
gigemJTH12
AG
I do most of my training in Houston at 5:30 pm.

My race is in Long Beach California at 6:30 am.

Expecting my mile time to drop quite a bit.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm in Oregon, but it's going to be pretty hot for a little bit at least. Luckily the sun rises pretty early, and sets pretty late, so hopefully I can find a good time to run while it's hot. The race is the Las Vegas rock n roll half.
The Pilot
AG
I ran the RnR Las Vegas full in 2015. The half course is good, but the full sucks. The weather was also pretty rough that day, winds gusting over 40 mph, volunteers were struggling to keep the water cups on the tables.
bert harbinson
AG
Sounds like you'll be training on hills and racing on a flat course.
kbw01
AG
I'm doing the Las Vegas R&R full. See you there
wangus12
AG
The Pilot said:

I ran the RnR Las Vegas full in 2015. The half course is good, but the full sucks. The weather was also pretty rough that day, winds gusting over 40 mph, volunteers were struggling to keep the water cups on the tables.
The wind coming back to the finish sucked so hard that race. It had been awesome weather all weekend until like 1.5 hrs before the gun. Kid Rock was good though
Mr.Ackar07
aggiespartan said:

I'm in Oregon, but it's going to be pretty hot for a little bit at least. Luckily the sun rises pretty early, and sets pretty late, so hopefully I can find a good time to run while it's hot. The race is the Las Vegas rock n roll half.
I did the Vegas RnR half last year. There are lots of distractions to keep your mind off the 13 miles while running. My phone told me the run was closer to 13.5 miles though...
hbc07
AG
Should see if we can meet up at the start of the race (I'm the other half mentioned that's doing the full).
hbc07
AG
The Pilot said:

Yeah, i've heard that about the full, but I'm hoping running the strip and around fremont will make up for the random detours into back alleys and loops around a parking lot.
aggiespartan
AG
So, how long before I don't feel like I'm dying? My legs just don't feel strong enough to carry me very far.

I need to get some more cushy shoes. It's not going to be comfortable once I can go over 3 miles. I have some of the more minimalist running shoes.
gigemJTH12
AG
go to a running store and get fitted.
P.U.T.U
AG
Jumping from nothing to HH novice is probably too big of a jump, C25K is probably a better starting point
gigemJTH12
AG
nm
P.U.T.U
AG
The HH program starts at 2-3 miles a day plus a long run of 4. While it does not sound like a lot to an experienced runner that is a ton for someone just starting off. Start with C25K and work up from there. I can almost guaranty injury starting off that heavy.
gigemJTH12
AG
P.U.T.U said:

The HH program starts at 2-3 miles a day plus a long run of 4. While it does not sound like a lot to an experienced runner that is a ton for someone just starting off. Start with C25K and work up from there. I can almost guaranty injury starting off that heavy.
can confirm. Literally just went through this. And I was in really good shape when I started. Just not running shape.

The individual runs really arent that bad, its the day in day out grind of it.

but it makes you so strong.

And you dont realize how good it makes you at running until you take a little rest and do a run after a couple days off. The program works really well.
bert harbinson
AG
Um, she's not starting Higdon until August.

Definitely go to a running store for help finding the right shoes. Keep at it, set modest goals, go slow, running for as long as you can but walk if you have to, to build mileage. For no reason, some days will feel worse than others. Try to work through it, but be reasonable. You'll get there.
aggiespartan
AG
bert harbinson said:

Um, she's not starting Higdon until August.

Definitely go to a running store for help finding the right shoes. Keep at it, set modest goals, go slow, running for as long as you can but walk if you have to, to build mileage. For no reason, some days will feel worse than others. Try to work through it, but be reasonable. You'll get there.
Right, HH doesn't start until the end of August. I've done about a mile and a half 3 times this week plus a 5k mud run. Walking quite a bit, but a little less each time.

I've done 5ks in the last year, just not very well, so I can get through 3 miles, it's just not pretty.
htxag09
AG
Are you on a program now or just running?

I did C25k, a beginner HH 15k program, then a HH spring/summer training to maintain and build a little before my HH marathon training.
aggiespartan
AG
Just running. I've tried the C25k plan before, and keeping up with the intervals is just not something that I can easily do.
kbw01
AG
Definitely, I have to check out my obligations with my fundraising team
aggiespartan
AG
kbw01 said:

Definitely, I have to check out my obligations with my fundraising team
let us know. We will be there for a couple of days before and after the race.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiespartan said:

Just running. I've tried the C25k plan before, and keeping up with the intervals is just not something that I can easily do.
The app tells you when to run and when to walk.
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Right, and I don't carry my phone when I run. Pockets not big enough, and too clumsy to hold it in my hand.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Right, and I don't carry my phone when I run. Pockets not big enough, and too clumsy to hold it in my hand.

If only there were bands or belts designed to hold phones.

aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Things like that bother me. I don't want anything strapped to me.
P.U.T.U
AG
A $10 watch can do intervals, my old 310xt can come up with more interval options than I know what to do with
Rudyjax
AG
aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Things like that bother me. I don't want anything strapped to me.

Flip belts bother you?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.