Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

training final 2 weeks before half...need advice

838 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigemJTH12
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I am using Hal Higdons novice training.

I have posted a few times about this being my first half, and that I am pretty novice. I hadnt run 3 miles before I started this program. So every week is a new PR for me.

However, I have also posted about how my legs hurt and my recovery isnt the best.

I am on week 10 right now.

My plan is to run that 10 mile run this week instead of next week. And then just do like 8 miles the last Sunday before the run. I want to do the 10 because I need to know what it feels like to run that far, but I also feel like that long of a run just one week out from the race wont be good for me.

Just kind of making an adjustment based off knowing myself and my recovery.

so then I would run 8 miles a week before the race and use his advice for race week.

do you see any problems with this?
coop-aero-06
AG
Looks like a good adjustment to me. Good luck with the race!
AggieOO
nope. do it.
aggiespartan
AG
I am probably going to do this program for a race in November. Any advice since starting the program? I've got some time before I need to start the program, so I'm going to work on building up a solid 5k base.
wangus12
AG
Sounds smart to me. Always listen to your body. You could even lower the 8 if you wanted during that last week.
NoahAg
Quote:

You could even lower the 8 if you wanted during that last week.
I agree. 2 weeks out from a race, you're not really going to do anything to help your time/results. So err on the side of caution, and run less rather than more. Don't try and push it. It's not like cramming for a test.

Congrats on the progress, and good luck.
gigemJTH12
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

You could even lower the 8 if you wanted during that last week.
I agree. 2 weeks out from a race, you're not really going to do anything to help your time/results. So err on the side of caution, and run less rather than more. Don't try and push it. It's not like cramming for a test.

Congrats on the progress, and good luck.
thank you! good advice.

Wangus, was hoping you would chime in, I appreciate the insight.

I think I am going to dial that down to about 6.

Then run about 8 Monday-Wednesday. Rest Thursday and Friday, then race Saturday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.