Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Chattanooga Half IM Roll Call

1,322 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag Eng 92
Ag Eng 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody doing this race Sunday? If so, welcome to Chatt-town. Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Spider69
AG
Spider69
AG
Ag Eng 92 said:

Anybody doing this race Sunday? If so, welcome to Chatt-town. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Do well Ag Eng 92 & TL! Pulling for your team! Dad
Spider69
AG
Delete
Ag Eng 92
AG
Can't imagine another venue putting on such a great race, but I'm sure there are other great ones. TVA couldn't get the river flow dialed back slow enough from the upstream dam, so they had to cancel the upstream portion of the swim (and associated return) for the age groupers. Pros did the full event. The age groupers just swam 0.8 miles downstream. I won't complain too much as I PRed by 35 minutes from 2 years ago. The change would have added ~15 min to the swim. Fast course today on top of the swim change. I highly recommend this 70.3 to those interested...
wcb
AG
I heard there were some pro women making no progress swimming up the current. Brutal.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Wow- hadn't heard that. I just knew the age groupers got all bunched up to walk the plank to start, and then we just stood there for 20 min.

I killed a little time today and looked up the swim times of all 33 folks from my company participating, and the fastest swim was 19:29 with #24/33 under 25 minutes. The river flow and short distance equalized that portion.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I was there and it was a great race! Clif's notes version of the race report below:

Finished with a 5:19, which based on the shortened downstream only swim, was a solidly mediocre performance for me (would have been around a 5:30-5:35 on a course with a legit swim).

Considering my general disdain for any real training since IMAZ, which has literally been 2 half ass swims, a decent amount of biking, and inconsistent running at best, I have no complaints as I got exactly what I earned. My bike split was much better than expected, and run time was blah, but about what I was expecting on a bum ankle and lack of miles.

Swim (18:52): We swam the river on Saturday when the flow was much greater (25,000 cfs vs 8,500 cfs on race day) and it still wasn't that bad swimming upstream (about 8 minutes to swim 400m upstream). Personally, I was disappointed about the shortened swim and really didn't think it was necessary, but it is was it is, you race the course you're given. Morning of, I made two big mistakes, 1- thinking that people would actually seed semi-accurately (which has been my experience at full ironmans with a rolling start), but with no signs to help corral people I should've known better and 2- I started a little further back (not much) so I could start with my sister since she was doing her first ever 70.3 and was crazy nervous. Well, not getting up front definitely affected my swim and I was fighting traffic the entire time. After all the reading I did about the swim there, I was really surprised that it was one of the most congested swims I've ever had in a 70.3, WAY more congestion than any of the Ironman rolling starts I've done. They really need those corral signs if they even remotely want people to seed accurately. I ran up on literally 15-18 people before even the first turn buoy. Granted, it's partially my own fault for started back a little, but there were lots of people I saw that had no business being in the water that early. Oh well, lesson learned.

T1 (4:07): Pretty long T2 run with a steep up hill, but nothing crazy. I take great pride in fast transitions, so this was embarrassingly slow for me. I was battling a mildly sprained ankle from the day before and it definitely affected my ability to run barefoot. Oh well.

Bike (2:37 at 21.4mph): Absolutely amazing bike course! I can't repeat enough how much I loved this bike course. Decent quality pavement for the majority of it, beautiful visuals out on the country roads, rolling hills that were surprisingly fast. Considering the elevation listed on the maps, I was really shocked by how fast this course was, I only had to drop into my small ring one time for 30 seconds at mile 26ish (one of the steepest climbs I've ever done, but luckily it's really short). Aid stations perfectly placed to allow me to only carry a single bottle all day. If you like to bike, this is a great course.

T2 (3:04): T1 was a little odd. Rookie mistake as I didn't realize the isle numbers were different, I was isle 2 coming in from swim and isle 3 coming in from bike, so I went down the wrong isle and of course because I had a center spot, had to backtrack to rack my bike. I was really not in good mood about that. Also, I forgot to change out my laces for elastic laces before leaving Houston and it felt like an eternity as I stood there tying my shoes. Is what it was, but still annoying.

Run (2:15): I knew coming in that I was kind of out of shape, and with the bum ankle, I figured I'd still give it a go and see what happened. I just told myself, worst case if the ankle bothered me, I'd just walk the run, but I refuse to get a DNF. Surprisingly, it held up pretty good and I was able to keep moving forward. My split definitely reflected my lack of miles this year as I went slower for this 13.1 than I did for either of my laps at IMAZ just 6 months ago. That said, I really enjoyed this run. Considering that you're always going up or down, it's a pretty nice run. There's one really bad hill that forced almost everyone to walk, but it was short. The rest of the hills were gentile enough that you could actually run them up and down. Decent crowd support and good aid stations. We got really lucky with the clouds, but I could see this course being brutal on a sunny day as there is very little tree cover, especially on the portion that is on the highway shoulder. Overall, not terribly disappointed in my run as it was about what I expected.

Overall: Crappy swim, great bike, decent run but overall really happy with my "race". I hit my nutrition spot on; had great energy all day, stomach never went sour and never got dehydrated. I highly recommend this race to anyone considering it and for those in Houston, it was a pretty easy drive. If you do go, definitely spring for the hotels downtown you can walk to everything.

Oh, and my sister (also an Aggie) that I referred to earlier....She had a great race! All her training rides had been in the 14.5-14.9 mph range yet she rode a 16.9 mph bike and then followed it with a solid run/walk 13.1 that was only a couple minutes off her 13.1 PR. We were projecting her around an 8 hr finish, and she came in at 6:57!
wcb
Ag Eng 92
AG
I mine it's late, but I'll add my race report to Crazy Ag's...

His is spot on, though. I'm local, and I work for the sponsoring company, so I have no excuse not to do well. I'm a converted runner, so the swim and bike are still growing on me. I did the half and full IM in 2015 in 5:56 and 13:02, respectively. My stretch goal for 2017 was 5:30, with 5:45 my backup. The shortened swim reduced everything by 15 minutes.

Swim- crazy must be a good swimmer, because I've tried to go upstream when the current was natural (unrestricted), and I could barely move. I'm not a great swimmer, but still, that current can be tough. I swam the short course in 22:05. That was a great time for 0.8 miles for me (I'm about 35 min/mile in the pool). I didn't experience the congestion as I self seeded at 45 min for the full course (a little sandbagging).

T1- I knew what to expect climbing up to the bikes, but I was still 5:25. Would have liked to have been faster, but oh well...

Bike- ride of my life (2:47, 20.4 mph). I hadn't had a training ride faster than 18.8 mph. It was a clean ride all around. I screwed up hydration and electrolyte replenishment because I let the clouds and mild temps fool me into thinking I was ok. I had gotten a 2:53 in 2015, so those 6 minutes were nice...

T2- 3:32. Ok but again not great.

Run- I suffered through a 2:04 in 2015. Sadly, I repeated it almost exactly in 2017 (2:03). My left quad was trying to cramp the entire first loop, and I had to run-walk much of the 2nd loop. Finished in 5:21 (didn't know I was chasing Crazy Ag 97!). It was 6 min off my stretch goal, and with a run that was 15 min slower than I hoped, I'll take it.

I'm 90% ready to pull the trigger for the full in September (company has a few spots left for employees). I hate to let my fitness go wasted. I'd love to shoot for a 12:00...

Glad you and your sister had a good time. My brother in law raced his first HIM that day too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.