Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Supination & Ankle Sprains

856 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiederelict
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I supinate when I walk/run. From what I understand, pronation is much more common. Anyhow, thought I might find some others on here that tend to run more on the outer foot and see if you have frequent sprained ankles and if you've used any successful methods to help correct/prevent this. Seems like every time I get in a good routine I sprain my friggin' ankle.

Thoughts? I was thinking maybe some sort of ankle support I could wear when running. Any suggestions?

Thanks
91AggieLawyer
AG
Try Hoka shoes and maybe neoprene ankle supports. The Hokas have a thicker sole and may help. Or, you can try trail running shoes. They are more rigid than standard running shoes.

Good luck.
PetrolAg
AG
I'm a supinator as well and the best thing I ever did was switch over to Newton shoes and a midfoot/forefoot strike. The last on the Newtons is perfect for my foot and I feel like the way I run now helps my foot roll properly. I also have very tight achilles and lower legs so keeping them stretched helps substantially too.

I've been moving into ultra distances lately so I've become more interested in the maximal shoes like the hokas. For me, the last on a lot of their shoes seems to keep the outside of my foot hanging off the edge of the shoe and my foot wont roll in completely. I havent rolled my ankle or sprained it but the outside of my feet will start cramping and theyre pretty toasted by the end of the run.

I guess my advice is make sure you have a shoe that truly fits your foot and take a serious look at your running style/form. If you're continually experiencing the same injuries then you may be doing something wrong.
aggiederelict
It's hard to roll your ankle if you don't strike with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.