Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How many miles do you run on a pair of shoes?

890 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sooner Born
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to get better about tracking mileage on my shoes. I run until something starts to hurt and then think "geez I wonder how far I've run in these shoes?"

My right knee and right arch were aching after today's run. I looked up when I got these shoes and it was November - that's about 350 miles on these shoes.

I've heard 300 as a good cutoff point for shoes. What say TexAgs? Do you have a set mileage or time frame for getting new shoe?
AggieOO
I run until the shoes dont feel good anymore.

But I'm probably terrible to answer your question since I've been running so long I can feel when the shoes are done.
Dill-Ag13
AG
How much do you weigh? Plays a big role. I've heard 250-500 depending on weight, terrain, and shoe quality.
pinkdog
Had a professor in PT school who was a 2:31 marathoner when he was young. It does vary on terrain and such. He seemed to think most people can get around 500 miles; he thinks the 300 pound mark would be more for heavy runners or those with poor running form. I tend to do a little under 500 just to be on the safe side; but I don't think I would do it as often as 300.
wcb
AG
I've started tracking and at 250 I'll introduce a second pair and start swapping back and forth. I'll run on the first ones until I can tell a considerable difference between the two (or if I notice any pain).

Currently at 405 and 191. Guessing the 405's are almost done.
Walter Kovacs
AG

~350-400 on a 3 pair rotation
AgPediRPh
AG
400 miles. I do notice wear by around 350 miles, but I'm stingy and OCD about rounding up.
wangus12
AG
I run until they don't feel good anymore. Unfortunately, I also hate spending lots of money on shoes so I also stall from that point. My current pair are well over 1000 miles and they are just starting to bother my feet so I'm about to get some new ones.

DO NOT FOLLOW MY STINGY EXAMPLE
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

I run until they don't feel good anymore. Unfortunately, I also hate spending lots of money on shoes so I also stall from that point. My current pair are well over 1000 miles and they are just starting to bother my feet so I'm about to get some new ones.

DO NOT FOLLOW MY STINGY EXAMPLE
my road shoes, i'd guess my "they don't feel good anymore" spot is probably 500-600 miles. My trail shoes can approach 1000, though its probably closer to 800-900 miles as long as the shoe holds up. Trail is easier on the body, but water, mud, sticks, rocks, etc are a lot harder on shoes, so the uppers don't always hold up.
The Pilot
AG
I'm probably closer to the 500 range, but I don't worry with tracking since I rotate through a few shoes. I can usually tell by looking at the bottom of my shoes.
Big Cat `93
AG
~450 miles
bert harbinson
AG
Just added it up. I'm over 500 on current pair. About time for a change.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

I'm probably closer to the 500 range, but I don't worry with tracking since I rotate through a few shoes. I can usually tell by looking at the bottom of my shoes.
i'd caution some people against this if you run on soft surfaces. The foam will give out before the outsoles in some cases. Pilot knows what he's looking for.
CDub06
AG
My magic number seems to be 400-450
NoahAg
500+

But usually I start off tracking mileage and then get lazy/forget. Then when I finally get a new pair, I'm like wow, I guess I needed new shoes!

I think body weight has to be a factor, because, you know, science. I'm <150 lbs, so I'm sure my shoes last longer than someone who's 200.
wcb
AG
On a related note, everybody knows about Shoe Kicker, right?

https://shoekicker.com/
NoahAg
wcb said:

On a related note, everybody knows about Shoe Kicker, right?

https://shoekicker.com/

I do now! Thanks!
monarch
S
I track my mileage and go right to 300; of course I use two pair of the same shoe, one for workouts and the other for competition. The competition pair lasts a lot longer obviously.
strbrst777
Lots of factors including quality of the shoes, running surfaces and your I've used many brands including Nike, Brooks, Saucony and New Balance. I settled on New Balance. My experience was that a pair lasted around 400-450 miles. After that they were useful for routine walking or yard work. Watch for heel wear and significant reduction of resiliency. Most of my running was on concrete or asphalt street pavement or sidewalks. Also you might check out orthotics. I feel safe in saying that over a 35 years period I ran in excess of 40,000 miles. (Running became a habit.) Long walks of 4 miles or so have replaced running. I now walk about five days a week.
Rudyjax
AG
Im lucky to get 300.
Sooner Born
438 miles. If I am going to hit the mark mid-run, I just carry the new pair of shoes with me and then stop, change shoes quickly and throw the old ones in the next trash can I see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.