Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Increasing running cadence

4,697 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jim01
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any tips on how to do this? I own a 910xt, current plans are:

• Buy a foot pod to see what my natural cadence is
  • Use a metronome to push it upwards by 1-2bpm per week
  • Cadence target? 175? 180?

Any tips from people who've made the journey?
wbt5845
AG
Everything I've ready said your cadence should be between 150-200. I recommend you get a good baseline of what you're doing now on different terrains and then try to increase it by 5%. Take a while to get 5% burned in, then go another 5%.
AggieOO
start with a cadence of about 400 and work your way down.

be sure to post that first video here so we can break it down for you.
wessimo
AG
I discovered last week that the Spotify app has an option for running where it can detect your cadence and play songs with a corresponding beat. You can also pick a target cadence.
Dill-Ag13
AG
How do I look?

wbt5845
AG
wessimo said:

I discovered last week that the Spotify app has an option for running where it can detect your cadence and play songs with a corresponding beat. You can also pick a target cadence.
What a great idea. Frankly, I quit running with music for a number of reasons, one of which was screwing up my cadence.
wcb
AG
I went through this last year. 910, got a footpod and started tracking. Think I was in the 150's when I started. Made my way into 160s and now I'm generally 170s, maybe 180s at tempo / 5k pace. I did most of it on the treadmill so that I could track things in a controlled environment.

Fair warning - be prepared for your calves to turn to rocks. Changing your cadence wreaks havoc on them.
gd28
AG
I made this change literally overnight last fall. Went from 160's to 180's and am a big believer in the benefits. Focus on shorter, lighter steps, don't worry about pace at first. It will feel very weird but you will find you are running much more efficiently and your endurance should improve. I'm also a big believer that there is a lower injury risk with the lower impact steps that come along with higher cadence.
Phat32
AG
Just tried this and was 30-45 sec per mile faster at a much lower HR...
wcb
AG
rasher said:

Just tried this and was 30-45 sec per mile faster at a much lower HR...
Come back and report on how your calves feel tomorrow...
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I'll add another vote for music. I zoned in my running cadence by making a playlist of music that was all around the right range of bpm so i don't have to think as much, just run to the music
Phat32
AG
They feel fine. I only went 10 spm faster, so we will see when I get to around 180.
Jim01
AG
Cue up the Benny Hill theme music on the iPod?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.