Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thoughts on running a half marathon in 8 weeks?

560 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bert harbinson
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me - 55 yo male, 6'0", 240 lbs. Had a history of distance running with several marathons and a lot of half marathons under my belt in the 90's. Quit running in 2002 - gained a ****load of weight. Started running again a year ago January - have lost about 40 lbs since then.

I am presently running about 16-18 miles a week with my long run being 5-6 miles on the weekend. I ran a very hilly 5K on Saturday and felt good enough to go out for a 6 miler recovery run this morning. I also am doing Camp Gladiator three days a week which I think has helped my running a lot.

I was toying with training for and running a half marathon this fall. But I was looking at the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 program and I've kinda done the first 3 weeks prepping for the 5K I ran yesterday. There is a Mellew half marathon on June 25 that I would be ready for if I jump in the Higdon program at Week 4. This particular marathon runs along the Trinity Trail in Fort Worth and is very flat.

Thoughts from y'all? I want to do the Cowtown in Feb. 2018 and if I do this in June, I'll have a nice long rest over the summer to keep the pace I've built up and hopefully do a good time in the Cowtown.
htxag09
AG
My very uneducated opinion is I'd imagine you could do a half in that time frame. But I'll defer to the more experienced guys to chime in.

I really just wanted to say a half in Fort Worth in June sounds miserable.
wbt5845
AG
It starts at 7 AM. June is usually not too bad yet.
wangus12
AG
Yeah I think its doable. I assume this is the Jalepeno one by mellow.

Running along the Trinity is almost entirely flat. There can be a strong wind of the water sometimes. I think its feasible to do in 8 weeks with a 15m/wk base built up. Just need to increase your long runs on the weekend and see how you cope. I have a feeling this summer is gonna be a hot one.
wbt5845
AG
If it helps - I normally do most of my running on the Trinity Trail. I know the route very well.

And yes it's the Jalapeno Half.

I'm tempted to hit the next two weeks training and see if I hold together.
The Pilot
AG
Sometimes in June/July/August it doesn't matter if you run at 5am, it will be hot and muggy in North Texas.

Given that you are already running some, I don't think a half marathon in 8 weeks is out of line.

I'll warn you that Mellew has a reputation for screwing up races. I believe the Jalapeno Half a few years ago had a few aid stations run out of water.

If you want a good DFW race that is around that distance, I'd look into Too Hot To Handle (15K), it's in July, it would give you a little more training time.
Hoosegow
No problem. Get after it
JDL 96
You can ABSOLUTELY do it.
Bighamp03
AG
You can easily do it. Just don't try to do it too fast.

7-8-7-8-9-10-taper-Race.
bert harbinson
AG
Yep, up the mileage on the long runs, and taper more than Higdon suggests. You can do it with your base plus 8 more weeks to prepare.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.