Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cold virus and marathon training

2 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Counterpoint
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am sure this has been debated before but figured I would get a consensus. This weekend was going to be an easy "short" long run, like 12 miles and then next weekend was gonna be my final long run before the marathon doing a 3 week taper. I have a cold, like thick yellow mucous but I don't think it's anything worse than a cold. I really don't feel that bad but have some congestion and coughing. Would u do the 12 or just skip it in fear of making sickness worse? I figure I will skip it so I can maybe just count on being well for the big long run of 22. What would u do? Seems logical to rest, but there's that antsy feeling of wanting to strap on the running shoes and head out the door.
Cancelled
AG
This has been the worst winter. I've had a cough off and on since December. I had X-rays in December and he diagnosed me finally with pneumonia. But I still had to beg my md for antibiotics and it cleared up. Now about 3 weeks ago the cough is back. Not as bad. I probably shouldn't be training but I don't have much of a choice.
bigtruckguy3500
So long as it's just all up in your nose, no fevers, chills, body aches, and it has been going on for a few days, I'd say just take some benadryl, use a neti pot, and go for a run. So long as you're getting enough sleep and food, I think your body should be fine.

Sometimes a "cold" can start as just congestion and then work it's way down and end up more system like the flu. But if it's localized to your nose/sinuses, benadryl is pretty good at drying up nasal secretions (even if you don't have allergies).

But if you're feeling tired or exhausted, I'd say skip it, or just do 3 or 4 miles just to keep the legs lubricated.
Oogway
Keeping in mind that this is my own personal experience, I would suggest following the usual runner's mantra of below the neck (i.e. coughing, fever) then sit out, above the neck then light running or other forms of exercise.

Also keep in mind that you risk jeopardizing your ultimate goal of the marathon and is how one ends up in the hospital with pneumonia and a rather long recovery. Not to be all Debbie Downer and some people take this risk all the time to no harm, but I was young, somewhat fast and invincible and I learned that you can miss the finish line when you are distracted by the hurdle and trip over it. You still have time to heal and run regardless. And if you rest and still can't run, there will always be another opportunity to test your mettle. Some folks may think there won't be, but life has a funny way of turning your life upside down when you least expect it.

Assess how you feel and let your body be your guide. Best of luck to you for a great race.
pinkdog
Oh, none of that offends me. I've decided not to run this weekend cuz last night the coughing was bothering me and I just feel tired. But I like to hear what others have done and their experiences. At the age of 35 I take a lot fewer risks than I did when I was young. And on this issue it seems like you may also get varying answers depending on which doctor you ask. And everybody has their own voodoo. My husband swears by orange juice. I believe in hot tea with honey and lemon. Then you have my husbands grandfather who believed so strongly in Vicks he would put it inside his nostrils.
Counterpoint
AG
pinkdog said:

Oh, none of that offends me. I've decided not to run this weekend cuz last night the coughing was bothering me and I just feel tired. But I like to hear what others have done and their experiences. At the age of 35 I take a lot fewer risks than I did when I was young. And on this issue it seems like you may also get varying answers depending on which doctor you ask. And everybody has their own voodoo. My husband swears by orange juice. I believe in hot tea with honey and lemon. Then you have my husbands grandfather who believed so strongly in Vicks he would put it inside his nostrils.
You're still young! Get well soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.