Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

NOT COOL? OR NOT A BIG DEAL

3,439 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wangus12
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/04/human-chains-medal-thievery.html

AggieOO
dont' even have to click the link. This is the guy who took two medals at Boston, right?

i think he's an asshat. I understand the sentiment, but if you appreciate her SO much, give her your damn medal. Don't steal a second one.
coop-aero-06
AG
Taking the 2nd medal, absolutely Not Cool. I completely agree OO, give her your medal. That would be a bigger and more meaningful gesture.

The other incident from the article, the human chain was this (for those who didn't click the link)

Given the circumstances, I wouldn't quite say this is Not Cool, just annoying.

However, let's say the circumstances were that they were finishing up running a 3:00 half-marathon and I was trying to finish up a 3:00 full marathon and I came upon them, then yeah, that would be be Not Cool.
Rudyjax
AG
The guy who took a medal is a complete asshat.

Not only did he not wake up with the baby, he gave his wife a stolen medal.

The chain at the finish line, not as bad. But they're still obliviots. Ruined the picture of several people and maybe slowed someone down.
AggieOO
the finish line chain is just as bad, IMO, if not worse. I dont' care if its a 4:30 marathon, which is considered a "slow" time to a lot of people. I guarantee there's at least one person in that picture that was pushing for as fast as time as they could (look at the runner in yellow on the right), and these oblivious women were potentially impeding their progress.

Not only that, but they like straight up ruined many people's finish line photos. I don't care about finish line photos, but there are people that do care, especially at a race like Boston. Completely inconsiderate asshats.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

the finish line chain is just as bad, IMO, if not worse. I dont' care if its a 4:30 marathon, which is considered a "slow" time to a lot of people. I guarantee there's at least one person in that picture that was pushing for as fast as time as they could (look at the runner in yellow on the right), and these oblivious women were potentially impeding their progress.

Not only that, but they like straight up ruined many people's finish line photos. I don't care about finish line photos, but there are people that do care, especially at a race like Boston. Completely inconsiderate asshats.

And I bet there was someone Behind pushing to requalify.
wangus12
AG
If I saw that, especially at Boston of all places, I'd Red Rover that mofo! It'd be like breaking the tape!
The Pilot
AG
The medal guy is a straight up thief, I hope baa bans him. I would bust right thru the human chain if that happened in front of me.
pinkdog
Both cases are selfish and inconsiderate of others. Chain people are impeding other runners. 4:30 can still be a qualifying time for older folks or people with physical impairments. Even if it wasn't a qualifying time I think it's still disrespectful to other runners just trying to run a good race. Medal theif is just that; a theif. I can't even think of why you would want the medal if you didn't run the race. "Oh you ran the Boston marathon?" "No, but I supported my husband so I figured I should get one"
Oogway
Yeah, he's a thief. But to be honest, if my husband ran a marathon and wanted to show his appreciation for accommodating his training, I'd rather he brought me a beer.

I never have put a lot of stock in the whole finisher medal thing. I miss the cotton t-shirts though, before everyone started up with the dri tech.
wangus12
AG
Why? I'm not sure I even own cotton t-shirts anymore
AggieOO
I wear cotton t-shirts all the time. Way better than the cheap ass "tech" shirts given out at a lot of races. Some of those things are like sand paper. I love the soft cotton shirts.
wangus12
AG
Don't get me wrong. I have some of the blended cotton stuff. And I give most of my t-shirts to charity. I have basically no normal clothes. Just scrubs and workout clothes. Spartan Race gives out the nice soft cotton shirts.
The Pilot
AG
Wouldn't be surprised to see BAA change the process for getting medals, currently it's pretty easy to get multiple medals. They basically have long rows of people on both sides of a street handing them out without checking for anything except maybe a bib.
Oogway
Pretty much what Aggie00 said. A unisex tshirt I can wear around the house or wherever, but a lot of the dri tech shirts don't fit or feel as well. I do wear some dri tech or blended shirts because it gets so hot here, but if I was choosing between finishers' medal vs cotton tshirt I'd pick the tshirt every time. I realize road racing has changed and costs are costs, but I get nostalgic now and then....
Rudyjax
AG
Most of the tech shirts don't work for me in winter. Static on my chest hair.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is their world. The rest of us are just living in it.

That's the attitude of these people and far too many others these days.
AgPediRPh
AG
The Pilot said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see BAA change the process for getting medals
I agree. I expect BAA to start scanning bib bar codes before handing out medals.

There are plenty of nice souvenirs at the expo for your family and friends. But if you MUST give your wife a medal, give her yours.
JDL 96
Both are NOT COOL.

Human Chaining should be against the rules, and subject you to automatic disqualification. The other runners have trained for MONTHS and done a very long and grueling run and their finish impeded and thunder stollen by some ass hats who decided to make a show and block everyone. NOT COOL.

Taking 2 medals doesn't bug me nearly as much, assuming there was a medal for every legit finisher. It doesn't effect anyone else. That said, if it became a widespread practice, it would be a problem. So for that reason, people who take 2 medals should also be automatically be DQ'd.
O.G.
Not cool at all.
CDub06
AG
Why can't people just be considerate and decent anymore.

(I'm talking to you, lady standing in front of the touch screen soda machine, leisurely sampling cherry lime Pepsi and vanilla strawberry Big Red while a line forms behind you. I JUST WANT ICE)
wbt5845
AG
wangus12 said:

If I saw that, especially at Boston of all places, I'd Red Rover that mofo! It'd be like breaking the tape!
This. I'd break that mofo for sure. They're so wrapped up in themselves it'd be a piece of cake. And then you'd have a finish line photo with a crowd of mad, screaming women right behind you. How sweet would that be?
Presley OBannons Sword
I'd wager that 95% of marathon finishers had a family member or friend who supported and helped the runner a great deal through their training. The notion that somehow HIS training was more challenging, or HIS family situation was more difficult, or HIS wife was somehow more supportive than everyone else is annoying as hell.

Quite frankly, I think he just wanted to give it to her so he could make that social media post to show the world what a GREAT COUPLE they are!!! #soblessed!

I hope he blows out a knee.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Quite frankly, I think he just wanted to give it to her so he could make that social media post to show the world what a GREAT COUPLE they are!!! #soblessed!
Winner winner chicken dinner
AgPediRPh
AG
http://www.abc6.com/story/35178344/amputee-gives-marathon-medal-to-hasbro-cancer-patient

THIS is how you do it!
Rudyjax
AG
The Pilot
AG
Apology from runner who took extra medal
CDub06
AG
Remorse has crashed his website.
AggieOO
just read that elsewhere.

at least he owned up to it.
Rudyjax
AG
He did the wrong thing then the right thing.

But morality is when no one is watching.
Presley OBannons Sword
Unthought Known said:

this is annoyingly over the top dramatic.

I don't see this as some devious, stealing-the-mona-lisa crime. He made a dumb decision in the moment, then ran to social media to scream "LOOK AT ME". He's an idiot, but I don't think he's a cold blooded, amoral crime boss.
wangus12
AG
I don't know. This may be the beginning of an illicit underground medal racketeering gang
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.