Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Calling aggie00 or any pocono marathoner

995 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pinkdog
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought I saw you post that you had run this one at some point. I am signed up for it and yes I have done lots of hill training although I don't have the terrain of steady downhill for miles to train on. So I can't say I am completely prepared. Any advice or thoughts on this course is appreciated. I know it could end up hot, in which case I will have to take it fairly slow. TIA.
AggieOO
i ran it twice. I'd do a bunch of squats, even if the are just body weight. That downhill can/will blow out your quads. After about mile 22, you have some hills to climb and the flat/rolling ground to tackle. People fall apart in those last 4 miles. Might not hurt to do hill repeats stressing running hard on the downhill part.

There's also a bigger danger of going out to fast and then holding that even longer than normal. You have some rollers to start before the long section of downhill. If you go out too fast and then roll into that long downhill and continue to push too hard, you are going to run into some issues.

Overall, its a great race. I love the small races, but if you don't, prepare yourself. There will be little to no crowd support for much of the race. I'm sure its grown since I ran it, but I still wouldn't expect a big crowd.

I had fantastic weather both years I ran.
pinkdog
Thanks. Sounds like u had good races. Do u mind sharing your pacing/time on the first 6 miles versus the 2nd 6 miles and so forth? Seem like I read that it's steep downhill from 6 to 13 but looking at the elevation profile 13 to 19 looked about the same, really. Both times you did it do u feel like u paced it pretty well without "hitting the wall" too much? Thanks again!!
AggieOO
I'll have to go back and see if I can find my data.
AggieOO
here are my splits from the second year I ran. We had a gnarly headwind for the first few miles:

Mile 1: 7:13
Mile 2: 6:59
Mile 3: 7:00
Mile 4: 7:19
Mile 5: 7:04
Mile 6: 7:15
Mile 7: 7:09
Mile 8: 7:03
Mile 9: 6:14
Mile 10: 6:42
Mile 11: 7:04
Mile 12: 7:13
Mile 13: 7:19
Mile 14: 7:09
Mile 15: 7:08
Mile 16: 6:53
Mile 17: 6:58
Mile 18: 6:53
Mile 19: 7:05
Mile 20: 7:02
Mile 21: 7:01
Mile 22: 7:11
Mile 23: 7:18
Mile 24: 7:15
Mile 25: 7:02
Mile 26: 7:08
Mile .2: 1:27

Mile 9 is a very steep downhill. It hurts to run down that damn thing. Just looking at my splits you can tell where the hills are, both down and up.
pinkdog
Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all those splits. I can't believe they are as even as they are on that course. Gives me some hope. Any advice on mile 9? Do u just try to shuffle down and take it as slow as u can?
AggieOO
pinkdog said:

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all those splits. I can't believe they are as even as they are on that course. Gives me some hope. Any advice on mile 9? Do u just try to shuffle down and take it as slow as u can?
i tore down that hill like a mad man. Hence the 6:14 split.
AggieOO
pinkdog said:

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all those splits. I can't believe they are as even as they are on that course.
and yes, i ran pretty even. I was only 13 seconds slower on the second half.
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

Mile 18: 6:53
Only in my dreams.
pinkdog
Well I know u were flying but I wondered if it was this mutant hill where even though u r trying to go slow u ran a 6:14. 7:19 slowest mile. In my dreams.
pinkdog
Hello, again. Aggie00 do u remember the last year/s you ran it? Has there ever been much of a course change? Is there a danger of me getting lost if it's this small race? I don't mind lack of crowd support, but I have a bad sense of direction even if I'm not tired. Sorry, that's my last question; just are there any less well marked areas on the course I should be careful about? Okay, 2 more days then I can stop *****ing and moaning.
AggieOO
just pulled up the map. Looks like the same course as I ran both years.

its been a while since I ran (7 or 8 years), but from what I remember of course marking, you'd be hard-pressed to get lost.

be prepared for the hills at the end. if you don't have anything left in the tank, they'll crush you. They don't show on the elevation profile, but they are there. somewhere around mile 22ish. Might be a little earlier, I can't remember. Once you get to 24, its pretty much flat to the finish.
wcb
AG
Those look like my 5k splits on repeat.
pinkdog
Ok, good to know. I have seen a (fast) friend get lost on a bike course. After: "weren't you looking at the signs?" "I thought I was looking at the signs". I wouldn't get lost from being out in front, but u never know how sparse it can get out there. This whole downhill thing scares me, but at least when it's over I can have the experience of a downhill course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.