Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

MS150 Roll Call

2,058 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RO519
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man the wind in Friendswood has been a best all morning. Are they riding? And if so how are the conditions?
mm98
AG
Not riding but last I heard it was still on for today.

Lots of people left katy at Rhoades this morning

Mostly a cross/tail wind today.
drewbie08
AG
The wind helped until about Bellville (mile 50 if you started from Tully). Then it was mostly a cross, with several spots near La Grange with a killer head wind. Tomorrow is going to be very tough if it's going to be a 15 mph head wind for 70+ miles.

I haven't heard any talk here in the tent village about relocating due to weather. Just ate some fajitas in the team tent. Now in need to find a beer..
mm98
AG
That kind of headwind is 2012, day 1, all over again.

If that holds up I'll be interested to hear how many riders drop out during the ride, or who might require medical attention.
rao11010
AG
For the sections we did hit a head wind, they were pretty brutal. I'm hurting from today alone so I can't imagine tomorrow with head winds the whole time.
drewbie08
AG
Last year wind was much more favorable than this years.
AggieOO
Plenty of beer at karbach.
Frok
AG
wind....so much wind
drewbie08
AG
I was expecting worse than it was, but a headwind for 70 miles is mentally tough. But it is a pretty cool thing to see when you are about 2 miles out and can see the Austin downtown. That's when you realized you just ride your freaking bike a really long way!
mm98
AG
Agree. And congrats.

I wish I could bottle up that feeling as you descend into downtown off that last hill. Where can I get 50 refills of that!
AggieOO
What a rough, rough two days of riding. That said, I had a ****ing blast.
Big Cat `93
claym711
AG
Good way to take down a first MS. The rest should be a...breeze.
Jerzzy
What a great first day: grinded out 100 miles and beat the hubby into camp for the first time.

Second day hubby told me I was not riding due to low grade fever and nausea....blessing in disguise. Congrats to everyone who battled the headwinds.....brutal day for everyone to grind through
LRHF
AG
Fun couple of days but very hard. Finished Saturday about 1:00, very windy and super hot on the road. Felt like 104 on the road. As others noted, the headwind this morning was stout! Snuck out of camp and on the road about 6:45 am. Rolling into Austin makes you feel like a Rockstar! Hooked up with a couple of fast teams to help get to the finish just before 1:00.
txags92
AG
We had a pretty good two days. Started at the house on day one and made really good time to about Nelsonville, then the sun came out, and the heat and my MS started trying to shut me down. The headwind into Fayetteville didn't help much either. I honestly was sitting in Fayetteville contemplating which part of Sunday I was going to SAG based on the predicted headwind. Got back up, got on the bike, and finished with 93 miles on day 1, feeling pretty beat up. Ol Army took good care of us as always and even though I didn't sleep all that well due to the wind and storms shaking the team tent, I woke up feeling surprisingly good on Sunday am. My wife and I went over to the fairgrounds to start at the front with the "Because We Can" group of riders with MS. The Club 300 top fundraisers started right behind us, and we quickly linked up with two of them wearing butterfly wings and with a great attitude about the ride. When the rider they were drafting off of pulled off to talk to somebody else a few miles later, I went to the front to help them out...and ended up pulling them the entire rest of the way to Austin. It was the best decision I made all day! They were fun, they were motivational, and being there to help them gave purpose to the suffering. I have always told people drafting off of me that I am happy to let them do it, as it is the least I can do to express my thanks for their fundraising. With a Club 300 member on my wheel, that feeling was magnified tenfold. My wife and I certainly could have finished much faster, and driven ourselves into the ground to do it. But instead, we took it easy, rode at a very easy pace, and finished with smiles on our faces and feeling good, despite conditions that were more challenging than any Day 2 of the BP MS150 since I started riding it in 2008.

Thanks again to everybody for riding and raising funds! Remember that you still have time to raise more, and I hope to see all of you out there again next year!
MooreTrucker
AG
Did the Carney Men have a good group?
txags92
AG
I saw signs directed at them out along the course, but don't specifically remember seeing any of them. My wife said she saw one on day one and gave him a cheer. I didn't see any signs or any of them on day two.
RO519
AG
What a fun event! I can't wait for next year, hopefully the wind cooperates though.

We left from Tulley Saturday morning around 7:00. The first 40-50 miles were fast and flat. After lunch in Bellville, we started to hit some hills and fought the cross wind. The couple I rode with Saturday utilize the heck out of the rest stops (more than I likes, but they invited me to their team, so I hung with them.) We averaged 14.7 mph for the day, but didn't get to La Grange until 4:00. We spent way too much time sitting around.

Day two, I got in a sweet draft line of guys from the law firm I was riding with (Norton Rose Fulbright) that were flying. We rolled out of camp at 6:30 and didn't stop until the 2nd break point at 28 miles. It was at that break point we realized that the start was delayed until 8. We kept moving, skipped lunch, and stopped at the 4th break point at 50 miles. We got some nourishment, refilled out bottles, and kept on rolling. We skipped the last break point and rode into Austin. I crossed the finish line right at 12:00 Sunday. I felt like a pro riding through the finish by myself. There were hardly any other cyclists around when we finished. We averaged 14.3 mph through the hills and headwind. Sunday was a tough ride, but I had a blast. Met a few Ags along the way, and upset a few t-sips when I said "I've never been so happy to see the tu campus in my life" when we rounded the corner in town.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.