Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

any backpackers/hikers in here?

14,846 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wangus12
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a few over on the outdoors board, but that board is mostly hunting, etc. I'm just wondering if any of you guys do any serious backpacking or hiking
AggieOO
yep.

Hitting Zion in 2 weeks (though its a running trip this time)
Big Bend memorial day weekend
Eagle Rock Loop in AR in June.
Presley OBannons Sword
Awesome. I did the rim trail at Big Bend about a year ago for the first time in ages. I love it out there.

Currently getting ready for a trip to Denali at the end of June, doing five nights in the backcountry. Most ambitious trip of this type I've ever done. Really excited about it.
bert harbinson
AG
I'm a marginally serious backpacker/hiker. But I do enjoy it. Just went hiking at Big Bend last month. Hiking to the top of a peak is always great fun. I have an opportunity for a multi-day backpacking trip in Yosemite in August. That would be the real deal.
RedlineAg08
I love it.
Did the South Rim over Christmas. Thinking about doing the Outer Loop in Big Bend next weekend for our anniversary.

Have permits for several segments of the JMT this summer. To avoid as much snow as possible we'll probably opt for Sept 23rd entry at South Lake for about a 60mile, 6 day hike.

AggieOO
RedlineAg08 said:

I love it.
Did the South Rim over Christmas. Thinking about doing the Outer Loop in Big Bend next weekend for our anniversary.
OML is an awesome hike.
wangus12
AG
ERL is awesome.

AggieOO
wangus12 said:

ERL is awesome.

we are super excited to go up and tackle it. I've had my eye on it for a long time.
wangus12
AG
Done:

John Muir Trail
Wonderland Trail
Chunks of AT and PCT

22 14ers

We are headed to RMNP this year for a week of backpacking. Hoping to get my gf her first 14er as well.
Big Bend hopefully this winter
wangus12
AG
I would go and do it on the weekend to get some elevation training with a full pack. Plenty of campsites along the trail and decent up/down, especially on the west side of the loop
Cancelled
AG
I am. Mainly northern New Mexico. Did pecos baldy. Nothing serious.
AggieOO
I'm sure there are plenty of people who are familiar with BBNP since its one of our two national parks, but if anyone wants/needs advice on Big Bend, there's not much out there I haven't done.

The two things still on my list are a float trip and knocking out Mesa de Anguila. Well, that's a lie, my list is a mile long, but a lot of that stuff is off-trail.
RedlineAg08
Zion and Grand Canyon R2R2R are on my list.

As is the full JMT someday when I can take a full month off.

Having to work full time screws up the fun things in life. Wish I would have discovered backpacking in my college years.
coop-aero-06
AG
I did a fair number of solo backpacking trips when I was in grad school and I could take a week off in the summer. So far I've done various spots in northern New Mexico (Wheeler Peak and Cabresto Lake) and a few spots in southern Colorado (Blanca Peak, Handies Peak, and some more areas near Silverton).

Since moving out west, I unfortunately haven't done any overnight backpacking trips. When I head up to the trails these days, it's for a 20-25 mile trail run instead of a 25 mile overnight hike.
Presley OBannons Sword
AggieOO said:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are familiar with BBNP since its one of our two national parks, but if anyone wants/needs advice on Big Bend, there's not much out there I haven't done.

The two things still on my list are a float trip and knocking out Mesa de Anguila. Well, that's a lie, my list is a mile long, but a lot of that stuff is off-trail.
I've only done the basic trails like the south rim, emory peak, lost mine, etc. What lesser known stuff is out there that you recommend?
AggieOO
One of my favorite places in the park is Banta Shut-in. Its in some guide books, but its VERY lightly traveled and you should be familiar with light route finding and hiking in washes/arroyos. Going down the arroyos is easy. Coming back, you can get lost if you aren't paying attention. Its about about 15 mile round trip, with the majority of that being in the wash, which makes for slow going. Also, there's little-to-no shade. It can be done as a day hike, but its a long day.

Banta is a tight canyon where there's a running creek (tornillo creek). this is a terrible shot of it (not my picture)

Waterworks is pretty badass, but you are definitely looking at multiple days. Its a very sensitive area, so not going to post directions. Email is in profile.

If you've not done Marufo Vega, that hike is awesome as well. You'll want to wear long pants, there are a lot of briars and mesquites along that trail, especially down by the river. Randall's Overlook is an offtrail vista overlooking the Rio Grande that is off the MV trail, and the view is incredible.

Mariscal Rim Trail is really nice. You can do it as point to point, but you'll need multiple vehicles. We've hiked each side of it as an out-and-back, Mariscal Rim and Cross Canyon.

Dominguez Spring is a good one that ends at a spring and ruins of an old ranch. Again, you should be familiar with hiking washes/arroyos.

Indian Head spring (start hike outside the park in Study Butte) is a cool short hike. Lots of Petroglyphs along the way!

Maple Canyon is fun to poke around in. LOTS of bear activity there.

May of the "hidden gems" of the park are down in the desert, so they are really only accessible on the cooler months. There are a lot of other places I'd love to explore, but you need ropes. I don't have enough experience with that stuff to feel confident. My indoor (and limited outdoor) rock climbing experience isn't enough to make me feel comfortable going up into Cattail Canyon, but above the falls is some incredible geography/scenery.
wangus12
AG
Man I wish I lived closer to BB. So much I haven't done out there.
AggieOO
wife and I go about 3 times a year. and I typically go out solo for a week in december.

I've been twice already this year.

We got engaged on the top of Casa Grande (another great "off trail" hike that I forgot to list above).
wangus12
AG
Nice, I've told every girlfriend I've ever had that if they want a ring, they'll get it above 14k feet.
Presley OBannons Sword
wangus12 said:

Man I wish I lived closer to BB. So much I haven't done out there.
same here.

OO where do you live?
AggieOO
I'm in Austin. Its a 6.5 hour drive for me, but worth every second of the drive. Sometimes we'll leave after work on a friday and just drive out for a quick weekend. Long drive, but better than sitting in front of the tv on a friday night. We do long runs on saturday mornings, so we never do anything on friday. Short weekends, we'll take the dogs with us and just trade off doing a long run or hike in the morning. Then relax the rest of the afternoon and have some drinks saturday night. We'll leave the park mid-day and be home by 8 or 9.

I need to spend some more time in GUMO, which isn't much farther when driving. We keep talking about getting into Northern NM, but the drive is too long for a weekend trip.
Presley OBannons Sword
Pretty jealous. I moved back to Houston last year, and pretty much out of close driving distance of any good places to hike or camp. I would kill to be in ~6hr driving distance of BB. I'm hoping to make a trip out there this summer to a little hiking with my dad, but I'm not sure yet.
Presley OBannons Sword
what kind of gear are you guys using? I'm in the middle of building up the quality of my stuff.
wangus12
AG
What kind of gear you looking for? Packs, tents, bags etc?

AggieOO
depends on the type of trip and time of year. You asking backpacking specifically?
RedlineAg08
Got this stuff that I'm willing to part with

2 - THE NORTH FACE ALEUTIAN 20 DEGREE SYNTHETIC SLEEPING BAG - $90/each (Bought for $130/each at Academy)
1 - Kelty 2 Person Backpacking Tent, Copper Lakes 3 season - $90? (Paid $120+ for it at Academy)
1 - 75L High Sierra Appalachian Backpack - $80? (Paid $100 for it)
1 - 3L Platypus Water Bladder - $15 (Not sure what I paid $25-$35)

Also have 2 self inflating sleeping pads. Free for purchase of sleeping bags.

Everythings been used once. No funny business in the sleeping bags. I've already bought new packs, but still plan on using the rest unless someone wants it. It's good stuff, just needs to be lighter if I want to go on long hikes (ie Full JMT).
Presley OBannons Sword
wangus12 said:

What kind of gear you looking for? Packs, tents, bags etc?

nothing in particular, just making general conversation about backpacking in general.
Presley OBannons Sword
RedlineAg08 said:

Got this stuff that I'm willing to part with

2 - THE NORTH FACE ALEUTIAN 20 DEGREE SYNTHETIC SLEEPING BAG - $90/each (Bought for $130/each at Academy)
1 - Kelty 2 Person Backpacking Tent, Copper Lakes 3 season - $90? (Paid $120+ for it at Academy)
1 - 75L High Sierra Appalachian Backpack - $80? (Paid $100 for it)
1 - 3L Platypus Water Bladder - $15 (Not sure what I paid $25-$35)

Also have 2 self inflating sleeping pads. Free for purchase of sleeping bags.

Everythings been used once. No funny business in the sleeping bags. I've already bought new packs, but still plan on using the rest unless someone wants it. It's good stuff, just needs to be lighter if I want to go on long hikes (ie Full JMT).
yeah that looks about like my original gear set that I'm slowly replacing with lightweight stuff
hurleyag
AG
I'm wanting to get into it more. Did the Incan Trail last May and looking at Zion for my next one.
RedlineAg08
Wife shot down the BB trip, but it looks like she said yes to the "buy a boat" pitch (for now) so I may be boating instead.
wangus12
AG
She said no to BB, but yes to buying a hole in the water to throw money in. I'm sorry
RedlineAg08
It took me a long time to convince her and I know I'll probably regret it, but I like to experience mistakes first hand.
wangus12
AG
Can't blame you. Days out on the lake are awesome. My old roommate and I just had a crappy boat that only worked 60% of the time.
AgEng06
AG
wangus12 said:

Can't blame you. Days out on the lake are awesome. My old roommate and I just had a crappy boat that only worked 60% of the time.
Sex Panther is a great boat name...
agcivengineer
AG
Im taking 12 boy scouts to Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base camp in June. We are planning to do 2 days of whitewater rafting, 2 days of backpacking (hoping to summit 14,000 ft), and will finish off with half day of mountain biking or climbing /rapelling. Im pretty excited. I grew up backpacking in the wind rivers, gila wilderness, and Uintahs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.