Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Race day eating/fueling(day of)

2,608 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by P.U.T.U
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my first half is on June 3rd. I am looking for advice on how to eat the day of.

I feel like my digestion is slower than others in that I can not eat ANYTHING and then immediately start running. I need some time. For example my running partner was eating a banana like right before we took off for 5 miles sunday. I could never do that in a million years.

So how should I fuel the morning of?

And how about during the race?

thanks!
P.U.T.U
AG
Here is a start

Eating is just like training, not everyone is the same and has to be worked on. I used to not handle Gatorade well but since a lot of races use it I started training with it. Took about a month but no issues
gigemJTH12
AG
what is a shot block?

is that like a gel pack?

how do yall carry this stuff while running?
wcb
AG
I ran a PR at the Cowtown half on no breakfast. I'm like you, I prefer an empty stomach. I had a decent dinner the night before (maybe fish / quinoa / asparagus, nothing crazy).

Personally I prefer gels / gu over shot blocks. The blocks are basically the same thing but in gummy bear consistency. With gels or blocks be sure to chase them with +4oz of water. I failed to chase blocks with water early on and by mile 7 I felt like I had a pack of them undissolved sitting in my gut.

I usually carry my own hydration just because I hate getting slowed down at the aid tables. I usually have EFS (similar to gatorade) in either a handheld or a fuel belt. Both have pockets that I keep my gu in. One gu every 45 minutes has become my go to nutrition plan.

Depending on where you are June could be warm. Be sure you're getting salt / electrolytes. Tracking heart rate could be helpful as well - sometimes when you push too hard it becomes difficult to get anything down. Especially in the heat.

Be sure to dial it all in on your long run days, breakfast included. You'll quickly figure out what works.

Lastly, I typically recommend chunking out any expectations for a first of anything (half, marathon, triathlon, whatever). I've never hit my expectations on my first attempt at any distance. Chalk this one up to learning. Then set expectations from there for your next one.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
P.U.T.U
AG
And are you talking about a half in running or triathlon?
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks a lot! I honestly have no expectations because as of 2 months ago I had never run more than 3 miles. And that was one time.

I am on Hal Higdons novice training plan.

on my 6 mile week now.

I will start treating my weekend long run as a race day and try out different breakfasts
gigemJTH12
AG
running
bert harbinson
AG
I'm kind of new to the longer distance runs (I've done 3 Half Marathons, all in the last year) and I once felt the same way you did. I used to run on an empty stomach. But as the training runs got longer it became clear that I was running out of gas at mile 8 or 9. Now I'll have oatmeal or granola bar, maybe a banana about an hour before, then a Gu gel 15 minutes before the start. Then a gel or chew just before a water station at mile 6 or 7. Should have had another at mile 10 on Saturday, as my pace fell off the last 3 miles (you learn something new every time).

You're going to need fuel, and fortunately you have time to experiment and figure it out. Don't be surprised if you don't feel so well the first couple of times you try this.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Consider going low-carb high-fat. www.runonfatmovie.com
RedlineAg08
Man, when I was doing long distance weekend runs I'd come home hungry as a badger and eat everything in the house. I miss those days, minus the long runs..
AggieOO
Its Texas Aggies, dammit said:

Consider going low-carb high-fat. www.runonfatmovie.com

Not sure about the movie spam (not clicking), but this is the new fad. I tried it and felt awful. Training suffered drastically and I had to drop out of a rave at mile 20. Brought carbs back in and i feel a thousand times better.
coop-aero-06
AG
Definitely get your nutrition dialed in during training, and try not to deviate from your nutrition routine on race day.

Everyone is different, so figure out what works for you. For me, when running a half marathon, I'll eat a filling dinner trying to stay away from anything greasy. In the morning I usually have oatmeal or a granola bar at least an hour before the race, hopefully earlier. During the race, I'll just grab a few sips of water at each aid station.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
It's not spam. It's a documentary about low-carb high-fat for endurance athletes. It takes a while to become fat adapted. Until that happens, you may not feel so great. Also you can use exogenous ketone supplements to make the transition to a ketogenic diet easier. Google Tim Noakes if you're interested in more information. Lots of athletes have used this type of plan with great success but they don't talk about it because they don't want to give away their secret.
champagnepapi
gigemJTH12 said:

So my first half is on June 3rd. I am looking for advice on how to eat the day of.

I feel like my digestion is slower than others in that I can not eat ANYTHING and then immediately start running. I need some time. For example my running partner was eating a banana like right before we took off for 5 miles sunday. I could never do that in a million years.

So how should I fuel the morning of?

And how about during the race?

thanks!

2 hours before event consume a banana and half a bagel with peanut butter. Start sipping on black coffee too, it will open you up and get you energized.

During the event, don't over eat as it is only a half and won't take too long. Take a couple GUs, Cliff Shot Blocks or honey stingers to eat every 45 mins with water.

Good luck man.
AggieOO

It's not spam. It's a documentary about low-carb high-fat for endurance athletes. It takes a while to become fat adapted. Until that happens, you may not feel so great. Also you can use exogenous ketone supplements to make the transition to a ketogenic diet easier. Google Tim Noakes if you're interested in more information. Lots of athletes have used this type of plan with great success but they don't talk about it because they don't want to give away their secret.

Secret. Lol. Sure.

I'm quite familiar with keto diets.
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks man! that sounds pretty dang close to what I would have done. Maybe oatmeal instead of a bagel.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
The secret was the fact that LCHF improved their performance, not that LCHF exists. Of course there are those that don't agree with the approach, but it's hard to argue that there are a growing number of scientists and top athletes who are getting great results with this way of eating. Given this, its at least worth considering. For example, see https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm
P.U.T.U
AG
That is the FASTER study, nice in the article they left out the 3 high carb athletes that had the same numbers as the low carb people.

Give low carb a try for awhile and see if you like it but give it at least 2 weeks for your body to adapt. It works for some people and others it flat out does not.

The keto diet is so new (from a scientific standpoint) and from my knowledge has not been widely tested on female. A keto diet with fasting seems promising but I like my beer so I will keep on doing the same thing
AggieOO

The secret was the fact that LCHF improved their performance, not that LCHF exists. Of course there are those that don't agree with the approach, but it's hard to argue that there are a growing number of scientists and top athletes who are getting great results with this way of eating. Given this, its at least worth considering. For example, see https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm
guess you missed the part where i tried it and felt like ***** added carbs back and felt great. On the surface, it sounds like a great option for someone like me who runs ultras to be able to run on fat stores. I've gotten the spiel several times from fellow runners.

everyone is different, but i don't think fat adaptive/keto is the "magic pill" that you are trying to sell. It might work for some, but isn't going to work for everyone. And next year there will be a new trend in diet for endurance exercise.
Phat32
AG
Nutrition is a discipline in itself. For a half, you won't need a ton. I had a CLIF bar about an hour before Cowtown and then 4 GU's throughout the race, but I'm a big guy. I second the poster that said to chase them with water.

Really all you should be focused on is what works for you. Whatever you do, don't do something new on race day or you'll be wasting 3-5 minutes in a port-o-john.

AggieOO
rasher said:

Nutrition is a discipline in itself. For a half, you won't need a ton. I had a CLIF bar about an hour before Cowtown and then 4 GU's throughout the race, but I'm a big guy. I second the poster that said to chase them with water.
FOUR gels in a half?
Phat32
AG
Yeah I'm a fitness newbie & big guy so my calorie needs are pretty high. Bonked at Dallas half with 2 and PR'd with 4 so it worked great.
AggieOO
whatever works, but i'm curious if you don't mind humoring me.

what miles did you take those 4 GUs at and what was your finishing time or pace?
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Nothing missed or being offered for sale. Just having a discussion. Have a nice day.
Phat32
AG
AggieOO said:

whatever works, but i'm curious if you don't mind humoring me.

what miles did you take those 4 GUs at and what was your finishing time or pace?
I think: 1 before, 1 around mile 4, 1 around mile 7, and one around mile 10. Finished at 1:44. Big guy - 6'2 190.
P.U.T.U
AG
I wouldn't call 190 a big guy, yes bigger than the strict runner guys but not that big. With that being said 1:44 for a 190 pound guy is not too shabby.

But with your time 4 gels is a bit much. It takes around 30 minutes for your body to get a gel to where it is needed. You have around 2000 calories of energy ready to go, more than enough to finish the race strong. If you are "bonking" in a half your daily diet is poo or your pacing sucks. That or you are pounding gels for an easy 30 minute run.

Your blood sugar does jump slightly when you taste something sweet so putting a small portion of the gel will get you through any downs you think your body will have. A half should be freaking hard and 200 calories an hour is a ton, learn how to use what your body has readily available. Do some fasted easy runs, if you feel dead doing it good, do more fasted runs.

I look at long term health as well, throwing down hundreds of calories an hour of sugar is not good for you. If you read that this pro takes this much nutrition an hour awesome, you do not need it since you are not running at the same intensity level they are.

AggieOO
Pretty much what he said.

Your gel at mile 10 isn't even hitting your system until you've already crossed the finish line.
Phat32
AG
I appreciate the thoughts, but it worked for me. I'm not worried about the long term impact of an additional 40-80g of sugar that happens 2-3 times per year.

Do you have any additional suggestions for the OP?
pinkdog
What we are saying is don't be a glutton. I agree with the above that you don't need that much. But assuming he only takes in that much sugar a time or two a year (not enough to make him a fatty) what are the potential consequences? My understanding is if his blood sugar gets high, he could start feeling sick. But if he's not getting sick on that much, I guess it's not doing much harm either? Just wondering. I'm not an expert on this.
wangus12
AG
I'm walking proof that Triple Meat/Triple Chees from Whataburger with fries and a powerade is the appropriate way to prepare for a half-marathon as of this morning
gigemJTH12
AG
so do you think gels at like mile 4 and 8 is about right?
gigemJTH12
AG
what miles should I do the gels in your opinion?
The Pilot
AG
What do you use in training? Do that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of gels, I'm not sure it really helps much. I'll take UCAN before the race and just drink water during the race.
AggieOO
I don't think you really need anything for a half. You've got the energy stores for it already. When I was racing halves, I usually just took in some water.

That said, if you think you need them 4 and 8 sounds good. It's likely more mental for you than anything.

or if you are not eating anything prior to the race, maybe a gel just before the start and then one at mile 6ish.
Phat32
AG
Based on what I've read about your racing prowess, I think a beginner will need more than you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.