Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running and drinking....

1,945 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rudyjax
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching this video has me pondering the question, how does one drink and run at the same time?

https://twitter.com/AidanBuckley/status/854002185872396288?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I end up either choking or it falls out of my mouth. If I stop to a walk I can get it down.
Big Cat `93
AG
Seriously. I have to walk, and even then I end up hacking and coughing if I start running again too quickly.
P.U.T.U
AG
Run, open mouth, pour in fluid, swallow, repeat. If you are drinking from a paper cup it helps to pinch the top so the stream of fluid is thinner.

For longer races if you cannot drink while running then by all means walk. Getting the fluid in will only cost you a few seconds
Rudyjax
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Run, open mouth, pour in fluid, swallow, repeat. If you are drinking from a paper cup it helps to pinch the top so the stream of fluid is thinner.

For longer races if you cannot drink while running then by all means walk. Getting the fluid in will only cost you a few seconds
I ended up doing that at the R&R half where I know I needed it. Gatorade AND a water. If I had known they'd run out on anyone over 1:55, I wouldn't have taken both.
AggieOO
pour out all the extra fluid that you aren't going to drink. you typically only need a sip. then pinch the cup, angle your head and drink. its not that hard.
bert harbinson
AG
Stopping to walk for a few seconds to actually get some down and not choke on it is well worth it.
AggieOO
and btw - i thought this was going to be a beer mile thread or something similar.
CDub06
AG
Attempting this in my first race was an absolute failure. Water all over the place, I was choking... My beginner status was on full display.

I had never really thought about the physics of it all before. The thought had honestly never crossed my mind. It turns out, drinking & running takes a bit of coordination.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

and btw - i thought this was going to be a beer mile thread or something similar.

Did you see the guy that drank a beer for every mile in a half? Ran a 1:43.
JDL 96
Maybe 10 - 20percent makes it in my mouth.
Rudyjax
AG
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703278-runner-drinks-a-beer-for-every-mile-of-half-marathon-finishes-in-under-2-hours?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
AggieOO
Yes, there's a thread on it.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

Yes, there's a thread on it.

Dammit.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

pour out all the extra fluid that you aren't going to drink. you typically only need a sip. then pinch the cup, angle your head and drink. its not that hard.
A sip? Have you seen how much I sweat?
AggieOO
we are talking road marathon. there's an aid station every mile typically.

trail is a different animal.
Rudyjax
AG
LIQUID HAZARDS

McMillan suggests a water bottle.

Quote:

CARRYING TO A PR
Why not just carry your own? Nearly all marathoners should consider this strategy. Here are my reasons why:
  • You're in charge of your own destinyno more mishaps at fluid stations.
  • You can drink on your own scheduleI like to drink two to three good-sized swallows every 15 minutes, until the last hour of the race when I drink every 10 minutes.
  • You can drink what you want to drink. Carrying exactly what you've found works for you is so much better than having to rely on the supplied drinks, which may or may not work for you.
  • You don't have to slow down. No more slowing, weaving, bobbing and grabbing at fluid stations. Just cruise by them.
  • You can remove one more race-day stress.
VARIABLES TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU CARRY YOUR OWN
First, you have to make peace with adding weight. We typically want to be as light as possible while racing (hence lightweight racing flats instead of heavier training shoes). One ounce of water weighs 0.0652 pounds. At first I was concerned with this, but I found that I never really noticed the weight; after all, it's marathon pace, not 5K pace. I certainly felt the benefit of better fueling that comes with carrying fluids was worth the added weight early in the race. Of course, you also get lighter as the race goes on.

Second, you'll have to try several types of fluid packs to find the one that fits you best and minimizes bouncing. I tried on several at the store and purchased three different styles. After several runs, one stood out and became my race pack. Packs are so advanced now and come in so many different styles that I suspect every runner can find one that works.

Third, you have to calculate how much fluid you'll need. One standard-sized water bottle, holding 21 ounces and weighing 1.369 pounds, is plenty for me on a normal marathon day, but every runner is different. A runner finishing in 3 hours will obviously need less fluid than someone finishing in 5 hours. As with most things in running, I learned from training runs several of which lasted near my goal marathon finishing time just how much I would need. Of course, I knew I could always supplement what I carried with the on-course fluids.

Fourth, you have to practice your fluids in training. This is something you do anyway, and carrying your own fluids makes this process a breeze. No more stashing bottles hoping they'll still be there when you return, no more finding someone to help you out, and no more agonizingly long fluid breaks. Instead, you can focus on running smart, getting in your nutrition and hydration and dreaming of a new PR.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.