Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IMTX 2017

4,235 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jim01
CATAGBQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's running?

1724, my second and probably last one...gotta beat my first time!

AggieOO
CATAGBQ04 said:

Who's running?

hopefully they are swimming and riding as well.
TriumphForks
AG
I'm in as well. Will also be my second. Goals are to beat my previous time of 15:25 (many, many things went wrong so this should not be a problem) and to beat my buddy who is also racing.

Forecast kinda sucks. Here's to hoping that cold front comes in a day early. Of course Sunday and Monday's weather looks beautiful.
Jim01
AG
Just volunteering this year. Will be at run special needs from 1:00 - 5:00.

Good luck!
JDL 96
I can't fathom doing a 12-15+ hour event. Especially 110 miles on the bike? How do you guys do it?!?! I ask as someone in my 3rd season of trIathlons. I've done a number of Olympics and will do mt first 70.3 at Buffalo Springs in June.
P.U.T.U
AG
You do long days in practice so it is just another day. We did a few rides of 120 miles or so
TriumphForks
AG
It's just an incremental ramp up of mileage when it comes down to it. I bet a lot of people would think a 70.3 is unfathomable so it's really just taking what you're already doing a step further.

Although from what I've heard as far as 70.3s go Buffalo Springs is almost as hard as doing the full thing anyways so maybe you will find out first hand .
AggieOO
If you train right, race day is the easy part. The 6 months of training is harder, IMO.
JDL 96
P.U.T.U said:

You do long days in practice so it is just another day. We did a few rides of 120 miles or so
JDL 96
AggieOO said:

If you train right, race day is the easy part. The 6 months of training is harder, IMO.
Having seen my wife train for and run a marathon, that makes sense. [But race day sure wasn't easy]. There's no way I have the time to train for an IM for 6 months.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Crazy Ag 97
AG
JDL 96 said:

I can't fathom doing a 12-15+ hour event. Especially 110 miles on the bike? How do you guys do it?!?! I ask as someone in my 3rd season of triathlons. I've done a number of Olympics and will do my first 70.3 at Buffalo Springs in June.
I thought the exact same thing after my first couple seasons. The mileage jump seems so huge. Even after my first 70.3 the thought of doing double that just blew my mind. But as others have mentioned, you just build up that mileage and eventually it starts to seems like something you can actually do.

The best advice I ever got was not to rush into the longer distances to soon, to enjoy triathlon at each distance for a couple seasons to set a goal at each distance before progressing to the next one. For me, it was sub-2:45 Olympic (first one was a 3:15) before moving to 70.3, sub-5:30 70.3 (first one was a 6:20) before moving to a full. having those goals let me build my mileage and my speed before jumping into full's. That said, I am probably done with the full, the soon-to-be wife was extremely supportive in 2016 with the understanding that Lake Placid and Arizona would be my last ones.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

Who's running?

Good luck! Looks like good weather, especially compared to previous years.
AggieOO
Crazy Ag 97 said:

The best advice I ever got was not to rush into the longer distances to soon, to enjoy triathlon at each distance for a couple seasons to set a goal at each distance before progressing to the next one. For me, it was sub-2:45 Olympic (first one was a 3:15) before moving to 70.3, sub-5:30 70.3 (first one was a 6:20) before moving to a full. having those goals let me build my mileage and my speed before jumping into full's. That said, I am probably done with the full, the soon-to-be wife was extremely supportive in 2016 with the understanding that Lake Placid and Arizona would be my last ones.
so you are saying I shouldn't have gone from sprint to IM?

I'd run ultras and ridden my bike from Texas to Alaska though, so my "jump" wasn't that big, except on the swim.

I'm lucky in that my wife does endurance sport too, and we did her first IM together. Part of her ultimate decision to to her first was seeing me do my first two.

I know I want to do another IM some day, but I'm not mentally ready to put in the training. It takes way less time to train for a 100 miler, even though the 100 is way harder than the IM.
Dill-Ag13
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

Who's running?

Best of luck man. The mileage you're posting up on Strava is inspiring me.
HooliganAg
AG
In for my first (1425). With the time commitment and a little one on the way this will probably be a one-and-done event but I'm pumped for it. Hoping the weather holds out for the swim at least. I'll be happy to finish the day but thrilled to make a sub 15. Good luck out there!
dave99ag
AG
AggieOO said:

Training. Meh!

Y'all have fun on the Hardy.
AggieOO
dave99ag said:

i completely forgot they re-routed using the toll road. blech!
dave99ag
AG
Yeah, we thought about coming in for the weekend, but the bike course goes right by our place. Nope, nope, nope.
JDL 96
Crazy Ag 97 said:

JDL 96 said:

I can't fathom doing a 12-15+ hour event. Especially 110 miles on the bike? How do you guys do it?!?! I ask as someone in my 3rd season of triathlons. I've done a number of Olympics and will do my first 70.3 at Buffalo Springs in June.
I thought the exact same thing after my first couple seasons. The mileage jump seems so huge. Even after my first 70.3 the thought of doing double that just blew my mind. But as others have mentioned, you just build up that mileage and eventually it starts to seems like something you can actually do.

That's very solid advice. This is season 3 for me and I'm doing my first 70.3 at the end of June. We'll see where that takes me. I'm pretty sure I'll be closer to 7 hours for it. We'll see.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
AggieOO said:

Crazy Ag 97 said:

I'd run ultras and ridden my bike from Texas to Alaska though, so my "jump" wasn't that big, except on the swim.

I'm lucky in that my wife does endurance sport too, and we did her first IM together. Part of her ultimate decision to to her first was seeing me do my first two.

I know I want to do another IM some day, but I'm not mentally ready to put in the training. It takes way less time to train for a 100 miler, even though the 100 is way harder than the IM.
Ha, that's fair, but I'd say you had a touch more fitness than most when you started in tri. When I go that advice in my first season, I was a solid 70 pounds heavier than I am now, and could barely do a mile under 12:00.

Yea, the fianc does marathons, so she gets it....sort of. She likes when I'm training, it's just the 3 sport commitment that's hard for to handle. I thought I was good with not doing another Ironman after shattering my goals at AZ, but seeing all my friends getting ready for TX this week has me thinking that I definitely want to do another Ironman. Not at the moment, but possibly in 2018 or 2019, getting her buy in will be the hardest part.
AggieOO
better get it in before kids come into the picture or you will likely never get her buy-in.

Our timeline for kids is still up in the air, but we were just talking about IM the other day. The wife actually said, "maybe you should do your next IM when I'm pregnant. Then I can do one after the kid is born."
dave99ag
AG
I'm not sure which will be more of a challenge. Being gone while the wife is pregnant or she being gone while you watch after a little one. Just make sure neither of you do a PhD at the same time.
dstuckey4
AG
I'll drink beer and watch you!
easttexasaggie04
AG
FOR SURE do an IM before you have kids. I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old. I'd love to do IMTX in 2018 but I would have to do 100% of my training before work every morning. There just isn't enough time.
AggieOO
easttexasaggie04 said:

FOR SURE do an IM before you have kids. I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old. I'd love to do IMTX in 2018 but I would have to do 100% of my training before work every morning. There just isn't enough time.
everyone's schedules and priorities are different, but i know plenty of people that have kids and do IM, even people with young kids.

Not saying its easy, but people find ways.
drewbie08
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

AggieOO said:

Crazy Ag 97 said:

Ha, that's fair, but I'd say you had a touch more fitness than most when you started in tri. When I go that advice in my first season, I was a solid 70 pounds heavier than I am now, and could barely do a mile under 12:00.

Yea, the fianc does marathons, so she gets it....sort of. She likes when I'm training, it's just the 3 sport commitment that's hard for to handle. I thought I was good with not doing another Ironman after shattering my goals at AZ, but seeing all my friends getting ready for TX this week has me thinking that I definitely want to do another Ironman. Not at the moment, but possibly in 2018 or 2019, getting her buy in will be the hardest part.
Whistler 2018?
CATAGBQ04
AG
Save a beer or 10 for me!

I'll need to get you in touch with my sherpa
CATAGBQ04
AG
AggieOO said:

dave99ag said:

i completely forgot they re-routed using the toll road. blech!

2 laps of the Hardy...lol
Crazy Ag 97
AG
drewbie08 said:

Crazy Ag 97 said:

AggieOO said:

Crazy Ag 97 said:

Whistler 2018?
We do already have a place to stay there for cheap....
dstuckey4
AG
Tell her we will be around the PR tent. I'll send you the location. I make no promises on saving beer though!
TriumphForks
AG
I did my first before kids and now I have a 15 month old at home. Training is so much harder..... Fortunately my wife has done an IM so she understands the commitment and has been very accommodating. We are planning to have another soon ish and I am certain this is my last IM until whatever kid ends up being our last is in high school at least.
AggieOO
Death on the swim today.

54 year year old doing his 7th I'M.

Spectators dove in and got him out of the water, but they couldn't revive him.
wcb
AG
On a lighter note, if I'm seeing things correctly Emge is sitting at first in his AG 83 miles into the bike.
wcb
AG
And Starky goes 4:01 on the bike. Unreal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.