Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thoughts on running with nothing but a watch (and clothes and shoes)

1,185 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mrsbeer05
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've gotten in the habit of running with my phone strapped on my arm, app running to track my run, and Bluetooth headphones on listening to music.

Since it's rainy today, I said "screw all that". Just my old runner's watch and a 3 mile route where I know the splits.

Went out at what felt like an easy pace. Looked down at 1 mile and I was 20 seconds faster than my "easy pace".

Picked it up a bit and finished 3 miles at a 30 second/mile faster pace than I normally do my daily run.

Anyone else ever have this experience? Got me to thinking maybe I'd be better off just running without all that crap. For a long run, I enjoy listening to podcasts. But maybe I need to just go primitive on my daily runs.
tamuags08
AG
I run without earbuds/audio when it's raining and I'm by myself. I also run without anytime I'm with a group.
bigtruckguy3500
I think I've only ever run with music once or twice. I personally hate it. I run to be in my own thoughts (and exercise of course). I feel like it's easier to get lost in my own thoughts and just pound away than it is with music.

And as long as I'm not going on a weird long run where I feel I might be isolated/away from people in an emergecny, I don't carry my phone either.
Big Cat `93
AG
Ditto. When I'm out in nature, I want the full experience. And I've spent a lot of time praying and thinking through some pretty tough stuff on my runs the past few years.
hillcountryag86
AG
Not related to OP question of better performance but, I've always been concerned about safety and running with earphones. No sidewalks, only roads where I run and I have to be aware of vehicles.
AggieOO
i'll run with music occasionally on the road b/c i find road running mostly boring. i practically never run with music when on trails.
wangus12
AG
On trails, I carry nothing. On road, I carry an ipod nano.
The Pilot
AG
I always run with only watch and clothes. I do run quite a bit with friends so that helps pass the time during long runs.
P.U.T.U
AG
Unless I run on the treadmill I never listen to anything when running. Let's me stay alert and shut the brain off from technology.
wbt5845
AG
This is interesting. Seems like every race i do to, 75% of the people running have earbuds in. I run on the road most of the time so I'm thinking it would be safer as well.
Wife is an Aggie
iPhone on arm band & watch on my left side plus usually carry a 20oz hand strapped water bottle on my right. I haven't tried running without music for a long time but I might give it a try.
monarch
S
Watch, shorts and a top; the top will go by the end of April as it gets warmer. The positive side of that is you can get a tan too.
monarch
S
For those of you who remember what streaking was back in the day, me and two of my best friends had a wild hair one morning and decided to start on the corner of St College Blvd and Chapman. We went north a bit, veered to the west a tad, passed the business building, crossed Dumbo Downs and ran in front of the gym, crossed the street and ran behind Titan Field and a parking lot and came out near Commonwealth and Yorba Linda Blvd, crossed Commonwealth and ran up the hill to Johns house. F*****G hilarious stuff for three college idiots. It didn't hurt that we were all track and CC guys so it wasn't that we were big fat dudes lumbering down the street. I will remember that day until I die. What a blast.
monarch
S
Oh yeah; for those of you wondering, Cal St Fullerton, class of '76.
mrsbeer05
AG
I need my music. It distracts me from the run. I can focus on the beat and the words and forget that my coach is trying to kill me. I don't run with anyone and I run the same trail every time so it gets boring without music.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.