Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What does it mean for protein to be "clean"?

1,474 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by shano0603
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GNC rep said "you need this stuff bro, it's super clean"
AgMarauder04
AG
queso1 said:

GNC rep said "you need this stuff bro, it's super clean"

"Even though you'll probably get similar results from lots of other brands, by labeling it as 'clean,' we can charge you a lot more"
hph6203
AG
Back in the 90s/early 2000s that would have meant that the protein was really cool.
Presley OBannons Sword
haha I'm sure queso knows this already and is posting sarcastically, but pretty much if a GNC guy says you need it, you know you don't need it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Same reason Advocare charges like $80 for a canister of 25 servings
Cancelled
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

haha I'm sure queso knows this already and is posting sarcastically, but pretty much if a GNC guy says you need it, you know you don't need it.
well, I know that. But, what is "clean"? I'm sure it means something to him.
P.U.T.U
AG
An assumption is clean means it is tested and verified what is on the label, being a dietary supplement most are not. But with GNC it probably just means more expensive.

Walked by GNC yesterday and saw a big display with "pure" water. Right
O.G.
"Cleanest" protein I have found is called Eat The Bear, it can be found at HEB. Zero sugar.

The sugar content of a lot of the other name brand stuff is staggering.
RedlineAg08
Walked into GNC for some Amino Energy because I was short on time. Laughed when I saw the price ($36) and asked the lady at the counter what the trick was. Did I need to sign up for some special membership or something because I buy the same stuff down the road for $17.

She just stared blankly and didn't know what to say other than there is no membership.

I genuinely thought they must have some sort of members discount program that cuts the prices dramatically.
victory
AG
so what are some of the "good" brands of protein powder that are not over priced? Thanks

Im absolutely done with ordering from advocare.
AgEng06
AG
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
bigtruckguy3500
Could be a couple things I suppose. If it's a protein isolate it could mean that it's "clean" of other things like carbs/fat/fillers. It could help you "clean bulk" instead of dirty bulk. Umm... Could be it isn't nitrogen spike to artificially increase nitrogen and make it appear like protein is higher than it really is. Or it could be just something to con folks that don't know any better into buying it. It's like when I knew someone who swore by musclemilk because it said it's for "lean muscle" on the bottle, whereas my protein didn't say that.
PetrolAg
AG
I like ProMix Grass-Fed Whey. Pricey but I feel like its worth it.

https://promixnutrition.com/products/whey
Matsui
AG
What is everyones favorite SOY protein? Prefer low carb or something without a lot of fillers.
AggieChemist
AG
I kill between three and seven deer every year with my bow.

Cleanest protein going.
Represent830
AG
As AggieLAX used to always say, "does clean mean you just washed it?"
AggieOO
Matsui said:

What is everyones favorite SOY protein? Prefer low carb or something without a lot of fillers.
does edamame count?
bigtruckguy3500
It wasn't this brand of protein was it? Because then things would make a lot more sense.

shano0603
AG
If it wasn't the brand that BTG just posted, then it could be one of a few things. You don't really want a protein with a lot of added sugar. Also, some companies add certain things which show up on a test as protein, but aren't really protein. If that makes any sense. Or any protein with a super long ingredient label and/or whey protein isolate isn't the first ingredient.
Good

Bad

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.