Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Barbell / Dumbell "Complexes"

1,443 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pahdz
jagvocate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been revisiting this way of working out with more intensity than I previously did, and with enough intensity, I'm starting to think they are a key tool for busy folks who want to maintain muscle while trimming up.

Doing a set of these exercises, in succession, without putting the weights down in between movements and without stopping for a breather until the circuit is complete is a very efficient way to workout.

As an aside, a former Texas A&M weightlifting coach, Istvan Javorek, is credited as The Godfather of Complex conditioning.

Strength coach Dan John has some great complexes to do. One complex I've been doing with good results is based on one of Alwyn Cosgrove's:

-Deadlift
-Romanian Deadlift
-Bent Over Row
-Hang Clean
-Front Squat
-Push Press
-Back Squat
-Good mornings

Doing the entire circuit, non-stop is one set. I've tried to stick with 6 sets and the following reps / loading scheme ...

-6 reps @ beginning weight (don't be afraid to start with a 45lb bar if you've never done Complexes)

-Add weight, 5 reps;
-Add weight, 4 reps;
... etc.
-Add weight, 1 rep.

Adding 10-20 lbs between sets can get challenging quickly, so set ego aside and start smaller and lighter to get the feel of things. 5-10 lbs is fine.

Pretty soon, you'll move all the weight you need in a short amount of time, and the post-exercise high and calorie-burn feels pretty good. Limit rest between sets and you can be smoked and done in no time.
RG20
This is done in addition to your regular program right?
culdeus
AG
That's a **** ton of legs for one session.
Hoosegow
Here is a great collection of complexes. If you take time to look at it, for those that care TimD, who started the thread was a helluva guy that passed away. More people in the fitness industry should strive to be like he was.

Happy reading.

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3818
bmks270
AG
What is the goal with this type of workout? Looks like high intensity cardio.

Closest thing I have done is my own made up workout, I would call a complex as you describe, though I had never heard of a complex until now.

I just did front squat, overhead press, barbell row, repeated 3 times with no rest, except changing weights. Really does get the heart pumping and gives that feeling where you can't get enough oxygen and are panting like crazy once it's over. I look at these no-rest workouts more as cardio workouts.
Pahdz
this is so bizarre, three days ago i could click on all the links in that post and they worked, now none of them work. i was reading Javorek's site on my phone and I went back today for reference and I keep getting a AT&T search page saying it's not found
Hoosegow
If you look down on the page, Doc posted a lot of them because they were having the same problem.
Pahdz
Yeah the others "work" but Tim's post is a decade old so it appears the pages have died or been relocated
Hoosegow
I looked up istvan- it appears none of his stuff is available anymore. Doc listed a lot of the complexed so that should help.
Pahdz
I think he realized he couldn't sell his books if it was all on the webpage
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.