Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How long to rest before race?

1,651 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rudyjax
Wife is an Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a half on Sunday. I have only done one other half before and due to a lingering foot issue I didn't run 8 days prior to the race and my legs turned into tree trunks about 5 miles in.

Obviously not doing that. I ran 13 miles last Saturday. Took Sun/Mon off. Ran 4 on Tuesday, 5 yesterday, might do 2-3 tonight and then probably take Friday/Sat off but will be out mowing the lawn and some other light work/walks to keep legs going on Saturday.

I'm still figuring out this entire running thing.. Just curious what is usually recommended to have your legs in "optimal" shape come race day?

TIA.
The Pilot
AG
Can't do anything about it now, but I probably would not have ran 13 miles the week before a half marathon, unless it's a pretty experienced runner who runs a lot.

The last 2 or so weeks in training you really can't improve your fitness very much. The goal is usually to rest up and allow your body to fully heal, reduce miles but not necessarily intensity. You don't want to completely turn the engines off either. You cannot cram for a race and try to squeeze in long runs and expect them to greatly benefit you come race day. The risk rarely outweighs the reward, usually just means you arrive to the start line tired.

The week of the race some people like to rest a few days before the actual race, I prefer to do a run the day before to shake out the legs and prevent any race day stiffness.
AggieOO
you ran 13 miles a week out from your half? wouldn't have done that, but to answer your question, i typically rest two days before the race. day before the race, i'll do a 2 mile SUPER easy shakeout run/jog.
Wife is an Aggie
Hal Higdon Int 1 plan calls for 12m one week out. My gps went out around mile 9 and I estimate my ending tally was between 12.5-13. The last four miles were pretty easy.
BigTimeAlum
AG
The real answer is it 100% dependant on the person and your own best mental preparation. It is true that your body will not adapt to any significant training you do in the last week or so, however if you are properly trained, it also does not take too much recovery to be at 100%.

You do not want to be doing "exhausting" workouts, but good solid controlled efforts are perfectly fine. I've always raced better on what most people would consider "training through" a race. When I rest, I always get that sluggish feeling that negatively affects me mentally. I always feel better stacking good weeks and good workouts.

So listen to your body and do what feels best for you. The mental is way more important than the physical at this point.
JDL 96
Here's what I do before a Sunday half marathon:
Sunday -RACE
Saturday - off
Friday - easy 4
Thursday - easy 5
Wednesday - off
Tuesday - 2 X 1.5 miles at a tick over race pace
Monday - off
Sunday - 14 miles

Tuesday is the latest you want to do anything intense. I always am tempted to speed work or race intervals Friday or Saturday, but everything I've read and been told (including by my wife who is a very serious and knowledgable runner) says that would be a BAD idea.
bert harbinson
AG
BigTimeAlum said:

So listen to your body and do what feels best for you. The mental is way more important than the physical at this point.
This approach has worked well for me. I also did a long run last weekend with a Half this Sunday. I don't think it was a mistake (I'll find out soon), and I feel much stronger and better prepared than I did for the same race last year. I plan to rest Friday and Saturday after a 4 mile run today.
Wife is an Aggie
Thanks all. I ended up taking today off and probably tomorrow as well. Plan to wake up and get a nice easy 2 miler in on Sat morning to wake the legs up a little before Sunday race.
wangus12
AG
I usually run Sun-Weds. Take Thurs/Friday off and a shakeout run on Saturday before the race.
P.U.T.U
AG
BTA hit it best, listen to your body. I had my best race after a week of traveling and not much sleep, its all mental in the end.

Some people do better with a reverse taper, you just have to try something new on B and C races. I always tried something new for every race.
Phat32
AG
I did the Higdon intermediate for my first half and felt the mileage was too high at the end. I bonked for other reasons, but I'm sure the high mileage didn't help.

Runner's World plan did wonders for me on my second, and it decreased mileage significantly the last two weeks. I think the Sunday before was like 8 miles.
HelenaMitchell
I think its all depends on the person, his mental preparation and his stamina.
Rudyjax
AG
I like to get my last long run in 2 weeks out. Do 1/2 the distance on the Sunday before, and then pretty much take it easy the next week. Maybe 5k Friday or Saturday at a very easy pace.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.