Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

New Workout Suggestions

1,721 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by culdeus
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some workout suggestions. I've learned over the years that I get much better results following a regiment rather than just winging it day-to-day. I live in a rural area, so I don't have access to a lot of specialized gym equipment. I have plenty of room to run, ride, and hike. I have a pretty light dumbbell collection and a power-rack with barbell and plates.

My winter regiment was:
S - Stairs, Ab-Ripper X, 5x5, Pull-ups/Chin-ups
M - Run or Ride
T - Stairs, Ab-Ripper X, 5x5, Pull-ups/Chin-ups
W - Run or Ride
R - Stairs, Ab-Ripper X, 5x5, Pull-ups/Chin-ups
F - Run or Ride
S - Rest or heavy pack hike

I've enjoyed this workout, but the weight I'm lifting in 5x5 is getting very difficult and I'm relying on the safety features of the rack (usually don't have a spotter). In addition, as the weight has increased, stairs and ab-ripper are not a sufficient warm-up so I've had to implement push-ups and light squats. This is making my work-out too long (75-90 minutes). I'd like to reign this back into 60 or less. My winter regiment focused on building strength and I don't want to lose my gains, so I'm interested in more barbell work. But overall I want my spring regiment to focus on leaning up my core.

Any suggestions before I settle back into my staple P-90x workouts?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Quote:

But overall I want my spring regiment to focus on leaning up my core.

Any suggestions before I settle back into my staple P-90x workouts?

review your eating habits.
MattTheBrave
AG
Tactical Barbell is what you're looking for. Read both the books (one for the strength portion, one for conditioning) and then get to it.
arrow
AG
Always a good recommendation.
arrow
AG
I like it. Thanks.
The overview sounds like what I'm looking for.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
arrow said:

Always a good recommendation.

it sounds like you get plenty of cardio, diet can go a long ways to reaching your objective.
AggieLitigator
Abs/stomach area are made in the kitchen. Cut out sodas and sugars. Drink lots of water. Eat smaller portions and eat more frequently.

There's your diet help for core.
AggieLitigator
Also, 5X5 is great for beginners trying to build strength but you need a better plan if you want to achieve muscle mass.
arrow
AG
I agree with 5x5 being mainly a beginner weight routine. I remember in high school and college having these great weight room sessions, I just can't remember the organization. But 5x5 did let me exceed my goals this winter (get back to squatting 2x my weight and benching 1.5x my weight).

I like changing up my routine seasonally so I don't get bored. Winter=strength training focus, Spring=lean body focus, Summer=archery&cardio focus...

Spring I typically do P90-X Chest&Back, Shoulders&Arms, Legs&Back routines, which I think are great. But I wanted suggestions to keep barbell exercises in the mix. I really like the Tactical Barbell suggestion. I'm not going for bodybuilder physique, more like lean w/ functional strength.

As for my comment on lean core, I have definition there, but it seems the slowest to improve. And that is no doubt from diet. If I keep running and stay away from the carbonation (beer) I'm sure I'll get there. I just thought this forum could point me to a new routine that haven't considered (that I can do with my equipment at home). Which it has! Tactical Barbell is in my Amazon cart. Any more suggestions before I purchase?
AggieLitigator
It may not be something you want to pursue but I'm a big believer in using a trainer to get a program that fits what you're wanting. I lifted for probably five months and saw improvement in some areas muscle wise but then got a trainer and gained 15 pounds of muscle over the next 8 months. I'm on month 9 with a trainer now. If you have the time and money, it's worth it.
rshackelford
AG
I'm amazed you're able to recover from a 5x5 routine squatting 2x your body weight and bench at 1.5x, with all the other supplemental HIIT and cardio you're adding in.
arrow
AG
The 2x squat and 1.5 bench are 1-rep max. Not what I was lifting during my 5x5 routine.
bmks270
AG
Your workout is way higher intensity than I could sustain. Props.
culdeus
AG
Time to switch to an intermediate routine like phul phat or a standard ppl.

5x5 is boring after awhile and hard to put mass on.

And if you like tv workouts. Body beast >>>>> p90x.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.