Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hard time losing weight - 66 year old male

3,978 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ok I'm an old (have to watch my heart rate) and have a question for you fitness gurus. Joined a gym a couple of months ago to tone up and lose weight (mind you I'm 66 and going from sedentary to exercising). I do 30 minutes of resistance followed by 60 minutes (500 calorie sessions) on a treadmill, 6 days a week. After 2 months I've only lost 5 lbs (194 to 189). My Fitbit says I'm burning an average of 2700 calories a day, and my intake is about 1500 cals a day (I record it). I can't figure out what my problem is. My pants do fit looser, but gee where is the weight loss? Thanks for helping.
ATM9000
AG
Probably getting those muscles in conjunction with your weight loss.

Oogway
Maybe think long term? If you marked on the calendar when you began your program and then consider marking about 8 to 10 months out from there you might be more encouraged, especially if you are diligent about the regular portion control and exercising. Without meaning to sound like a nag, which I probably will, a lot of folks get discouraged when they don't see results as quickly as expected. It really does help to see this from the rear view mirror, looking back from 8 months or so and realizing that you have lost (I just realized, what is your goal exactly for weight loss?) 10-20 pounds, which is around 2 pounds a month. That is a nice measured amount of weight and something to be proud of. Most people do still keep a regular weekly/daily note on their progress, but I hate to see them get frustrated and then overdo and get hurt. In other words, patience grasshopper!
Hoosegow
What are you eating?
Rockdoc
AG
Oh yeah I know I should be patient. I just know my long history with exercising and eating. I guess that's why I prepaid 18 months for the gym membership (to force myself to go). I want to weigh about 175 to 178 so only 12 to 14 more to lose which isn't that much.

As far as my diet, this is what I shoot for per day:
Calories - 1500
Fat - 54gr
Cholesterol - 200 or less
Carbs - 100 or less
Protein - 65 or more.
Kool
AG
Rockdoc said:

Oh yeah I know I should be patient. I just know my long history with exercising and eating. I guess that's why I prepaid 18 months for the gym membership (to force myself to go).

Since you asked for advice, the second sentence above says a lot to me about your problem. It sounds like working out isn't that much fun for you. I am in that same camp. I hate the gym. You need to find something you enjoy doing, and preferably someone with whom you can be accountable. For me, that is playing singles tennis on a clay court. For you, that is probably going to be something different. If you don't enjoy exercise, you will quit doing it once you have reached your fitness goal or get frustrated with your lack of progress. What you really want is a lifestyle change, and to find an activity that you enjoy that brings you health - not a second job that doesn't pay you or give you other tangible benefits.

Your initial post makes me think you are spending too much time in the gym. Especially if you don't like working out (I am with you), make your time in the gym more productive by making it short and intense. The link below is to a book I purchased after hearing an interview with the author. It is a somewhat technically difficult book to read, but the premise is that what you need is short, intense workouts that make you create more mitochondria. Plus a diet that does not poison your mitochondria. I found it really motivating and helpful.

Also, if you are getting frustrated because you haven't lost that much weight (you haven't gained weight, either, which is the norm for U.S. adult males), look at other parameters. Can you do more push-ups, bench press more, walk or run a mile faster in the same amount of time? Can your gym measure your body fat percentage and track it? If so, great. Weight loss isn't everything. Best of luck. Cheers.

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Fitness-Power-Performance-Endurance-ebook/dp/B00QA8TXSQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489343285&sr=1-9&keywords=fitness+and+mitochondria
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rudyjax
AG
You need to eat more. You're in too much of a caloric deficit. Your body is holding onto the fat. How tall are you?

Figure out your RMR or an aproximation. You probably should be eating in the 2000 range.

Rockdoc
AG
Oh crap. 6' and 189 lbs.
Rockdoc
AG
If I eat more than 1500 the carbs climb. Blood sugar and 66 years old is that prob.
bigtruckguy3500
I agree with you eating too little. I consider myself fairly knowledgable in diet and nutrition, and it's a trap that I've fallen into as well. Online calculators are only estimators, and we estimate our exercise intensity and dietary intake as well. Lots of estimation can add up to big differences. For me, I tended to overestimate how much I ate and underestimate how many calories I burned exercising, thinking that if anything it would just result in better fat loss. I ended up slowly heading towards being skinny-fat. I never reached that point, but it took me longer than it should have to realize my mistake.

I came across this on facebook recently - http://www.glamour.com/story/these-photos-show-how-under-eating-can-sabotage-your-fitness-goals

This lady was eating 800 calories a day and not seeing results. Going up to 1800 caloreis actually helped her out.
bigtruckguy3500
Rockdoc said:

If I eat more than 1500 the carbs climb. Blood sugar and 66 years old is that prob.
Don't be afraid of eating more fat. Without knowing much about your medical history, I'd say that at the very least you can throw in some avocado, pecans, peanuts/PB, walnuts, olive oil salad dressing, salmon, etc into your diet to get more calories, and that fat from those sources will be a good addition to your diet while giving you extra calories.

Check out a discussion here - https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2826857/1
Matsui
AG
Good article
On that lady increasing her consumption.
Rockdoc
AG
Well unfortunately that makes perfect sense. And getting too few calories during the day is probably why I run out of juice towards the end of my resistance sessions. I'll try bumping my daily calories up to 1800 or 1900. Thanks guys.
bigtruckguy3500
I'd probably actually go up to about 2200-2500 for about a week, get your metabolism firing on all cylinders again, and then slowly decrease from there. And, of course, eat more veggies.
Rockdoc
AG
Well now remember, I'm 66. That's a lot of food for me.
Rudyjax
AG
Life itself is probably burning 1800 calories per day. Eat the 1800, and go with 35% C, 35%P, 30% fat

Just my opinion I'm not a RD.
pinkdog
Another thought too; sometimes I have skepticism towards how many calories exercise machines and fitness devices estimate that you are burning. There is a lot of variation from one person to the next. Just an FYI.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah I thought about that. But I know how many calories are going in my mouth every day, and I know my metabolic rate is 1700 cals per day. And I spend about 35 mins on resistance and 60 mins on treadmill per day (that reads out 500 cal burn). So I know i have at least a 600 to 700 cal/day deficit.
Spore Ag
I get too routine in the gym and had to change things as my body acclimated to the exercise. Also results acquired by setting an out of the gym goal like doing some 14 k peaks or long, like 16 mile walks. Last but least is alcohol. I cut out the beer and wine and went to spirits.
Rockdoc
AG
Ok more questions after a few days. I've plateaued at 189 lbs and would like to lose about 10 more. Exercise regimen is the same, and have tried to up my calorie intake to 1800 from 1500 but having a hard time (I guess because of my age). I agree my body is holding on to the fat, even with all the exercise and resistance training. Anybody have a way to add 200 or 300 healthy calories. I know stupid question.
P.U.T.U
AG
2 tablespoons of a nut butter, whole fat Greek yogurt, avocado, are some easy ways to get in some healthy fats and 200+ calories.

I helped a friend that is a workout freak that wasn't loosing weight. Told her to eat more and she lost 10 pounds while having more energy.
Rockdoc
AG
Thanks I'll give that a try. My problem is when my weight is up, so is my blood sugar. That's the main reason for limiting my carbs.
P.U.T.U
AG
Sounds like most people. Fat is not your enemy, sugar is
TAT2DAG
AG
I agree with PUTU (which is good, because he's smart about these kind of things).

My advice to add to his is:
1. Purge all processed carbs. In fact, the less packaging in your daily diet, the better. Don't lean on protein bars and that sort of convenience food that is marketed as healthy. Use oil and vinegar instead of dressing (almost all of them have added sugar). If you are going to eat carbs, make them whole grains. Oats, quinoa, etc.

2. Eat protein and veggies at breakfast. If you can stomach it, something resembling an omelet for breakfast.

3. Drink the everloving **** out of some water. All damn day. You should be peeing once an hour. If it gets boring, add mint or lemon or lime or ginger or cucumbers.

4. Quit drinking basically anything else, especially if it comes in a can or plastic bottle. Diet sodas will make you crave sugar more.

5. If you are hungry, grab a fat/fruit or veg combo. Full fat yogurt (none of the flavored stuff, it all has sugar added) and some berries. A protein shake you make yourself with fruit (protein powder that doesn't have crap sugar added). A boiled egg and some peppers. Cheese (not crap cheese, good cheese) and cucumber slices. Or just grab some almonds (not the ones coated in crap) or nut butter (without added sugar).

It's not just the amount of calories, it's the QUALITY of your food. Yeah, carbs are an easy way to increase your calories, but so are almonds and other fats. I think once you start focusing on making yourself feel better with what you put in your mouth, start focusing on the quality of fuel you are giving yourself to get your stuff done, then you'll start seeing some results.

Don't get frustrated. I know plenty of older guys that are in the best shape of their lives. Oh! I was listening to the guy from thehappybody.com yesterday. He's 62 and can do all sorts of weight. Maybe check out his sight. Maybe you should be doing more strength training instead of resistance?

You can do it!
Matsui
AG
Great advice. For me, the reason I am craving snacks or the bad stuff is that I didn't give myself enough of the good stuff like fats/carbs/protein. And with you working out, your body is craving calories, so make sure it is good calories and not empty calories, which involves sugar.
Rockdoc
AG
On my way to HEB to get some almond butter!
Aggietaco
AG
Rockdoc said:

On my way to HEB to get some almond butter!
If you like peanut butter, grab some of the self-grind honey roasted peanut butter as well. That stuff is ridiculously good.
TAT2DAG
AG
Grab some giant bags of good nuts - like almonds and walnuts and cashews. Actually order them on amazon or get them at Sam's/Costco.

This is not only healthy, it can be a constant source of amusement if you and your spouse are juvenile like my husband and I. "I got your nuts here in my bag." "Don't forget to take your nuts to work." "I'm so glad I have nuts." "You mom has nuts." (this last one is aimed at our teenager, he doesn't know whether to laugh or be mortified.) It basically never gets old.
Rudyjax
AG
We grind our own peanut butter. Very tasty.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Add 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to a glass of water when you wake up, then before your evening meal.
Tailgate88
AG
Most days, skip breakfast. Work out near lunch time and then eat good fat, veggies, protein after.
Oogway
^^I would not necessarily do this myself as it can raise your blood sugars. I often run in the AM prior to eating, but I usually have a little something, and def some protein afterward.
Rudyjax
AG
I would say eat more calories early in the day rather than later or space the caloric distribution throughout the day.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah I have to have breakfast or I can't function. I'm still stuck at the same weight with the same daily workouts and diet. I have to assume and hope that I'm replacing fat with muscle (at my age hard to tell). My weight training is progressing, and my cardio/fat burn sessions are getting easier so maybe I'm on the right track.
Oogway
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.