Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

running tips needed (running shorts rec - other )

5,148 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh, here's another. Keep your toenails well trimmed.

Or said in the spirit of the classic dentist office poster:

You don't have to trim all of your toenails, just the ones you want to keep.
Oogway
Regarding socks, what Aggie00 says is true, plus personal preference. Mostly, you want socks, like shoes, to fit your feet. If they are too short, then sometimes the shoe fabric in the back can rub. If they are loose, then they can bunch up and rub in weird places. Any small thing that you might not think much about mushrooms into a big thing that is all you can think about on a long run. Especially if that something is a big ole blister.

For most daily runs, (<10-12 miles) I wear whatever. Just a well-fitting cotton blend sock. I have a few others tucked away in the drawer like these:
Socks that are more expensive like Thorlos and Bombas that I really like for several reasons:
I am old and losing the 'fat' on my feet, so they help keep my feet from feeling so tired on longer runs. (longer is relative). They also keep my shoes from slipping (skinny feet) so I get better pushoff on my stride. The Bombas I received as a gift but I probably wouldn't usually buy them for myself. They are nice, though. The Thorlos I have had for awhile, I am not particularly hard on socks.

I don't like those styles so much when it is hot so I also have thinner socks that are still absorbent to keep my feet from squelching (I have decided that is a technical term exclusive to Texas running ) in the summer.

I don't wear racing flats anymore, but I liked the Asics socks for that.

My suggestion is usually to start with the cheaper blended socks and see how those work.

I am so happy to be running again, I guess my feet are happy, too!
The Pilot
AG
I buy a lot of my socks from Marshall's or Ross. You basically want socks made of synthetic materials, stay away from cotton.
Presley OBannons Sword
interesting, I've never given two seconds worth of thought to what socks I run in. might have to give this more consideration.
NoahAg
To me, the biggest difference between socks is the toe seams. The higher end ones don't have the annoying stitch knot at the toes.

I've found good deals on packs of Under Armour and Asics socks I'll use for shorter runs. For longer runs and races I'll use my "expensive" Balega socks.
MidnightYell2003
AG
I love my Balega socks. I have these:

and these

Though, I've only done 'serious' runs in Balegas. I might have to try the Target C9 some time just to see the difference.
JDL 96
C9 at Target is the BEST workout gear. It fits great, wears great and looks great. I have a few items of other brands (because I had gift cards I had to use from *****, etc) and I don't like them nearly as much. I don't have any high end runner only shorts by Asics or Brooks or anything, so maybe that would change my mind. But I doubt it.

I DON'T think running shorts matter that much. Occasionally I run in regular workout / basketball shorts (if I'm out of running shorts), and really I don't notice a different. That said I'd prefer to run in running shorts, but I really don't think it makes a difference. I've done speed work and 14+ mile runs in long basketball shorts, and really didn't notice any difference. Who knows.

Anyway - I'll go for C9 every time. It's better than the allegedly higher end Champion line at *****.
Aggietaco
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

interesting, I've never given two seconds worth of thought to what socks I run in. might have to give this more consideration.
If your current socks don't cause any issues, don't worry about it. No reason to spend $12+ on a pair of socks when the bulk pack suits you.
AggieOO
JDL 96 said:

I DON'T think running shorts matter that much. Occasionally I run in regular workout / basketball shorts (if I'm out of running shorts), and really I don't notice a different. That said I'd prefer to run in running shorts, but I really don't think it makes a difference. I've done speed work and 14+ mile runs in long basketball shorts, and really didn't notice any difference. Who knows.
i run a lot farther than you, but i think shorts make a HUGE difference.
P.U.T.U
AG
Agreed, shorts and socks make an enormous difference. The little things that don't seem like big deals on 10 mile runs become 100x worse when you are drenched in salt/dirt/etc. and you more than double the mileage. I like the C9 stuff for around the house but they don't hold a candle to my more expensive stuff.

Same goes for most gear like sunglasses, I wore Tifosi for short races but my Oakleys were my go to for longer stuff. Comfort for me was worth the extra cost.
AggieOO
I've run 50 milers in C9 socks, but I need comfortable, non-chafing shorts and shirts.

As for sunglasses, I'm all about goodr. 25 bucks and they are awesome. Made by runners for runners. I use them cycling too.
kbw01
AG
Wear Blue
easttexasaggie04
AG
14 mile run in long basketball shorts? Did you lose a bet?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

• Unlined shorts with briefs - I did this for a while and it got really uncomfortable, the briefs move around too much

This is what I wear and have worn for years but apparently, I'm in the minority. Brooks had briefs that were top of the line but have discontinued them. I'm not sure what I'm going to get now. Lucky I have 7 pair of Brooks and would have bought 2 dozen pair if I'd known they were going to stop making them.
AggieOO
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

• Unlined shorts with briefs - I did this for a while and it got really uncomfortable, the briefs move around too much

This is what I wear and have worn for years but apparently, I'm in the minority. Brooks had briefs that were top of the line but have discontinued them. I'm not sure what I'm going to get now. Lucky I have 7 pair of Brooks and would have bought 2 dozen pair if I'd known they were going to stop making them.
i have a couple pair of brooks runerwear that i have leftover from my NYC days. They were worn under tights for a little extra warmth for the boys. I never wear them anymore.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

i have a couple pair of brooks runerwear that i have leftover from my NYC days. They were worn under tights for a little extra warmth for the boys. I never wear them anymore.
So.. how do you feel about used underwear, 91Ag?
Aggietaco
AG
BTW, Target has C9 gear on sale 20% off this week with their cartwheel app.
AggieOO
Aggietaco said:

AggieOO said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

So.. how do you feel about used underwear, 91Ag?
swimmerbabe11
Are you by chance volunteering on an ms150 team this year?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.