Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

running tips needed (running shorts rec - other )

5,150 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
healthaggie1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Training for my first half marathon. I am NOT a runner at all. 3 miles is a tough run for me right now. About to start the Hal Higdon training guide for beginners.

I have heard that buying actual running shorts are a game changer. any cheap(er) ones that you like?

Any other tips I should know?

I am so sore usually after runs...do I need to be stretching afterwards?

thanks for any help!

AggieOO
not sure what you are running now, but yes, you need running shorts.

if you want cheap, C9 from target is probably one of the best values.
rilloaggie
AG
Not sure where you're located but I've had good luck finding asics gear at tjmax and similar stores.
Big Cat `93
AG
I've never been able to find Nike shoes that work for me, but their shorts and tech shirts/singlets are outstanding. Academy always has a good selection.
AgBQ-00
AG
Take it from someone who just finished their first marathon. Stretch before and after all you runs. My lack of stretching nearly caused me to not be able to run my race after all those months of training. Please for all that is holy be religious about stretching
The Pilot
AG
Surprised no one has mentioned lululemon shorts. I got my second free pair at a sweatbox in Austin this past weekend, I like them, especially free.
Wife is an Aggie
The Pilot said:

Surprised no one has mentioned lululemon shorts. I got my second free pair at a sweatbox in Austin this past weekend, I like them, especially free.
What is this sweatbox you speak of?
The Pilot
AG
sweatbox

I wasn't aware of it until this past weekend, I heard about it while running in Austin. They basically let you try either shorts or a shirt while running on a treadmill for 2 minutes, complete a short survey and you keep either the shirt or shorts. A staff member told me Austin was their only stop in Texas. They are making a push to attract more marathon runners and are following major marathons. She mentioned they'd be in Boston in April so maybe I'll get free pair #3.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

sweatbox

I wasn't aware of it until this past weekend, I heard about it while running in Austin. They basically let you try either shorts or a shirt while running on a treadmill for 2 minutes, complete a short survey and you keep either the shirt or shorts. A staff member told me Austin was their only stop in Texas. They are making a push to attract more marathon runners and are following major marathons. She mentioned they'd be in Boston in April so maybe I'll get free pair #3.
They were at my race this weekend.

follow them on FB. they announce their locations 24 hours in advance. They are only in austin for a few more days though.

to me, their shirts are nothing special, but their shorts are pretty much the best I've ever worn.
Aggietaco
AG
What are you running in now? Gym shorts?

I workout and run exclusively in lined shorts, what most people refer to as running shorts. My largest collection is Nike, because I can usually find them on sale at Academy, but my favorites right now are some New Balance accelerate shorts that I picked up online, mainly because they have a little bit of give in them that most of my Nike shorts don't. I picked up a pair of the lulu shorts Saturday, so we'll see about those. My least favorite are the BCG shorts (Academy house brand) that like to hold on to sweat and quadruple in weight. I usually only wear those on cooler days or days I think I won't be sweating as much.
Aggietaco
AG
I forgot to add I also have some BOA 3.5" splits that I like to wear to scare people with my pasty white thighs on race day.
htxag09
AG
I'm a little overweight, a year ago I was a lot overweight. When I started running I wore gym shorts and compression shorts. Have been building my inventory of lines running shorts, but mainly only with the longer boxer brief style lining. I'm finally getting to wear I can wear normal lined running shorts comfortably.

I've actually been more particular about my shirts. I've always liked looser fitting shirts and I found they, especially after losing weight, moved around too much, causing chaffing, and get heavy and even baggier with sweat on my longer runs. So I've gone to more snug fitting shirts for running.
htxag09
AG
Also, when I was where you are I did couch to 5k. Then progressed to Hal higdon's plans. Now I'm with pilot. Never really looked out hal higdons beginner plans but I'm sure they're a good starting point.
Oogway
Socks. Socks are key. People have their favorite brands and styles, but good socks on longer runs can be worth a lot.
Big Cat `93
AG
Amen. Do NOT skimp on socks.
CDub06
AG
Not to hijack, but what is with the fondness for lined running shorts? In big box stores, it's hard to find any that aren't lined - which I've never been fond of.
AggieOO
CDub06 said:

Not to hijack, but what is with the fondness for lined running shorts? In big box stores, it's hard to find any that aren't lined - which I've never been fond of.
i assume you run with compression shorts under them then?
CDub06
AG
Yeah, I've always been a compression shorts guy. I have a couple with the liners (which I only use on laundry day), but they're less comfortable and can pinch or ride up.

I've never understood why I'm in the minority in this - what am I missing?
coop-aero-06
AG
CDub06 said:

I've never actually had a conversation about this, so I'm sort of cringing as I type this out. But this is what I see as the options that a dude has for running.

• Unlined shorts with briefs - I did this for a while and it got really uncomfortable, the briefs move around too much
  • Unlined shorts with a jock - no thanks
  • Unlined shorts with nothing else - no thanks
  • Unlined shorts with compression shorts - sounds good
  • Lined shorts with nothing else - yes, please

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm crazy or weird, but that's how I break things down.
AggieOO
i have a few pair of shorts with built in "compresssion" liners. I like those, but they aren't true compression. Wearing compression shorts is uncomfortable to me. Feels like its all squeezing my junk. The liners keep everything in place but don't feel like my balls are being pushed into my abdomen.

I don't have problems with my cycling shorts, so maybe its just the compression shorts i've tried with running.

plus, i don't have buy two pairs of shorts to wear if i'm just wearing a good pair of shorts with a liner.
AgBQ-00
AG
I found the combo of unlined shorts with performance boxer briefs worked the best for me. Was comfortable and eliminated all chaffing issues I had in that area and my thighs
agcivengineer
AG
Im curious as well. Ive used compression shorts and unlined shorts for years and like that, i dont have to worry about chafing, they usually last a long time, etc. Am i missing something as well?
O.G.
You need to go to a legit running store to get fitted properly. At least at first.
They will help you find the right shoes, gear etc.

A kid working at Academy that just got finished stocking inflatable swimming pools, will not have
the same expertise as someone that does it full time.
After that, you will kind of pick up what you like and what you don't and you can order on line etc to
save money, but in the beginning, you need to talk to experts.
CDub06
AG
Since I hijacked the thread somewhat, I'll also contribute:

Register for a race so that you have a goal and a date to look forward to. You might also want to find a 10K race that lines up with your training program so that you can have a practice run in that type of environment.

Develop a routine. Once you've got one, it makes it easier to motivate yourself to keep it up.

People have discussed finding the right shoe. Get advice from specialty stores, try a lot of shoes on, and if you don't like them - return them. Once you find the shoe you like, then you know what to get next time.

The Higdon program is a good one FTR. I did the novice for my first marathon. I'm not sure what the progression is for the 13.1 as his website is currently down. Just make sure you're not doing too much. If .3 is a struggle, you may want to pad a few weeks on before Hal's week 1, or do the C25K program first.
NoahAg
Quote:

if you want cheap, C9 from target is probably one of the best values.
This. The C9 stuff is really good for the price. I've had a couple pairs of C9 shorts for 10 years. Elastic is starting to give way, but they work fine for shorter runs. BCG at Academy, however, is garbage.

As a training reward, treat yourself to some nice Nike shorts for the race.

Stick with it, and good luck!
Aggietaco
AG
CDub06 said:

Yeah, I've always been a compression shorts guy. I have a couple with the liners (which I only use on laundry day), but they're less comfortable and can pinch or ride up.

I've never understood why I'm in the minority in this - what am I missing?
I think most runners try and get as close to naked as possible while running. Compression shorts, to me, are hot and restrictive. Even the Nine Trail shorts from Patagonia feel like they inhibit my movement and these are much more like a boxer brief than a compression short. Splits with a liner feels like running in loose briefs to me.
The Pilot
AG
Quote:

I think most runners try and get as close to naked as possible while running.
Pretty much.
PetrolAg
AG
I'm a fan of the asics 2 in 1 short. Basically shorts with compression all in one. I hate the little liners
hurleyag
AG
I don't mind compression shorts for anything up to 10K, but I wear my liner shorts for anything longer.

I'll also stress good socks. I ran in normal socks when I started until it gave me a foot fungus, then I realized I needed good socks.
gigemJTH12
AG
what do you mean by good socks? like Nike? Any recs?
gigemJTH12
AG
anyone seen these? on sale today

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3LM09S/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_MissionA_cdl_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-1&pf_rd_r=JYA068EHYKG35WVMYM7Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=98a8026b-050d-4700-acd3-6d19d3e39cda&pf_rd_i=16354513011&tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=1cec4044efceba6e14342ff1df1e9cbfd785a6ad&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttps%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FbDVSRpJeeo%5Bks%7Ctwitter%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1793169757%5Ba%7CB01L3LI1M8%5Bau%7C5876237249236602398%5Bb%7Cdeals&th=1
hurleyag
AG
I like swiftwick and pro compression. But there are several other good brands.
Presley OBannons Sword
Silkies or GTFO.

gigemJTH12
AG
Oogway said:

Socks. Socks are key. People have their favorite brands and styles, but good socks on longer runs can be worth a lot.

any recs?
AggieOO
honestly, i've been have just as much luck with C9 from target as I have my more expensive socks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.