Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What do you consider "too much" training?

1,500 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by culdeus
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To the point it's no longer good for you, but breaking down your body? Or perhaps good for you now, but you'll regret it later?
wcb
AG
My body seems to handle volume ok. It's intensity that wipes me. Shocker.

I do wonder sometimes what the volume's doing to me in the long term.
Big Cat `93
AG
Seems to be something that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. For me, training for a couple of marathons a year seems to be my limit. I can easily see myself breaking down if I attempted to train for an ultra. As it is, I've been training too hard on my speed days, which was the cherry on top of the dismal weather in Houston last month. Live and learn.
RedlineAg08
In general, I think people don't push themselves nearly as far as they could because of fear about overtraining. It's hard to overtrain if you're eating enough food to recover. The problem is most people don't eat enough food.

That being said, I agree with bigcat. It's a case by case basis. And increased training should be a gradual thing.
txags92
AG
Track your HR and it will help you determine if you are overtrained. If you reach the point where your ability to do intense efforts feels limited by your HR not rising as it should, you might need a little more recovery. As said above, it is actually hard for most people to overtrained based on expended effort. It is usually lack of adequate recovery or adequate nutrition.
Hoosegow
When it stupidly affects other parts of your life...

I can't take my daughter to the zoo today because all the walking will effect my squats this afternoon.

Some of you know what I'm tAlking about...
bam02
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

In general, I think people don't push themselves nearly as far as they could because of fear about overtraining. It's hard to overtrain if you're eating enough food to recover. The problem is most people don't eat enough food.

That being said, I agree with bigcat. It's a case by case basis. And increased training should be a gradual thing.

Pretty much what I came to post. Most people don't even come close to overtaining. Our bodies are capable of pretty amazing extremes.
Hoosegow
When it stupidly affects other parts of your life...

I can't take my daughter to the zoo today because all the walking will effect my squats this afternoon.

Some of you know what I'm tAlking about...
The Pilot
AG
For myself, Probably over 90-100 mpw. Quality starts to suffer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Medically - your hormones go out of wack such as testosterone and adrenal. Physically or mentally tired

Real life - when your hobby negatively affects your personal life or work.
The Lost
As mentioned above, food and rest time are key. I've been exhausted too much during the days before working out which was my sign. I'm also not perfect about food
AggieOO
P.U.T.U said:

Real life - when your hobby negatively affects your personal life or work.
my hobby essentially IS my personal life.
culdeus
AG
I think if you are well adapted to a specific program then it is easy to evaluate where overtraining level is. Problem is that if you are new to a program and in the process of making "noob gains" whether it be cardio or weight level you can easily "Ego lift" or push yourself over the limit when those gains slow down a bit.

Also agree that if you are training hard and trying to lose weight at the same time you are asking for all sorts of trouble. Very few programs for marathons or weight lifting are programmed such that weight loss goals are in mind, most cardio programs assume you want to stay the same weight and weightlifting programs assume you are eating a ton of protein and everything else. That's not always the case for people and people don't really know why they should be eating X thing for Y program. It's a big gap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.