Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marathon Investigation website

10,795 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CDub06
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
catching cheaters cutting courses or using others to run for them.

Especially upsetting seeing people getting into Boston without a legit run.

Website
O.G.
We have one prominent one here locally......just sayin'.
AgEng06
AG
Wow. The level of detail that guy went into to nail the cheater is awesome.
AggieOO
happens all too often. so often that i don't even really get mad anymore.
AggieOO
AgEng06 said:

pretty much goes into that much detail every time. great site.
The Pilot
AG
Like the most recent girl, I'm amazed people can cheat and then go on to BROADCAST their fake accomplishments.

This LINK has a lady who setup a gofundme (still active) to fund her travel expenses to Boston and gave two TV interviews.
wangus12
AG
Usually the biggest reason is to get to Boston, but even then people are dumb about it.
AgEng06
AG
AggieOO said:

AgEng06 said:

pretty much goes into that much detail every time. great site.
Yeah, the Boston one is amazing for a guy like me who likes data... http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/02/an-inside-look-at-boston-marathon.html
Vernada
AG

Quote:

In the 2014 race, an analysis of her performance showed widely divergent times on the four loops of the bike course, suggesting that she had completed some segments of the course in virtually impossible times faster than the fastest male professionals in the race, officials said.

Ironman barred Miller indefinitely from its races, citing repeated rule violations the harshest penalty given to a competitor in memory. (In recent years, two other athletes have been given two-year suspensions for cutting courses, officials said.) In November, Triathlon Canada announced that Miller would be barred from its races, too, for two years, for "multiple breaches" of its rules. It also barred her from competing for Team Canada outside the country, and stripped her of an award she had previously won, the Triathlon Canada Award of Excellence.

Quote:

"There was a crowd of girls who almost hero-worshiped her," said Sheena Harris, a triathlete in Squamish. "She had a full-time job, ran her own business, trained full time she was always killing it."
Repeat Triathalon Cheater
The Pilot
AG
found the BCS guy.

Looks like he's not running Boston this year.
Rudyjax
AG
I hate those people. If you want to run Boston and can't get in, find a charity and raise money.
Swarely
This story in the New Yorker blows my mind. They still can't figure out how this guy is cheating.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man
98Ag99Grad
AG
The Pilot said:

found the BCS guy.

wow. the splits from the first half to the second half; I mean it's so obvious how is no one else questioning this? I guess they just look at overall time and accept it huh?
AggieOO
98Ag99Grad said:

The Pilot said:

found the BCS guy.

wow. the splits from the first half to the second half; I mean it's so obvious how is no one else questioning this? I guess they just look at overall time and accept it huh?
b/c a lot of races just don't care. its sad, but true.
wangus12
AG
AP4P2020 said:

This story in the New Yorker blows my mind. They still can't figure out how this guy is cheating.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man
So that guy legit invented a marathon in Wyoming to run (and win). Seems like a good idea to me.

'The West Wyoming Marathon did actually exist. It was set up to accommodate our family trip to that area. In planning our vacation, I launched the website for the race, which was set up with race day registation. Over a dozen people indicated that they would likely come & run. I had a local resident lined up to help out. Race morning I got quite a surprise when no one showed up. I ran anyway. As the only entrant I placed both first and last. The first issue of the results contained only my name. A tech savvy friend convinced me this would look ridiculous & he could add some additional names. After thinking that this would in no way harm any other actual person, I agreed. So yes I am absolutely responsible for that. I regret making this snap decision and I realize I should not have ruined something that was meant to be legitimate.

The reviews of Marathon Guide are good.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=3777100703
Rudyjax
AG
A racing buddy just BQd at Dallas.

I ran with his bib last year at the Dallas half and put up a 1:38.

His times are all in the 3:30s-3:40s previously to his 3:23:18. (We know this is boarderline)

He also has several 1:35-1:40 halfs.

I hope we didn't screw him.
AggieOO
a one-off isn't going to trigger anything.

i ran with a friend's bib at chicago one year because she was injured, before i understood what that does to others running (don't do it anymore). I definitely got her a "BQ," but she didn't even try to use it. I doubt it even crossed her mind.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

a one-off isn't going to trigger anything.

i ran with a friend's bib at chicago one year because she was injured, before i understood what that does to others running (don't do it anymore). I definitely got her a "BQ," but she didn't even try to use it. I doubt it even crossed her mind.
In this case, we are almost the same speed, same age, etc. But I got ya.
CDub06
AG
Whoa! I stumbled upon this site last week and actually came over here to post it. Glad I searched before I did.

I was captivated by these investigations. Good for them for calling the cheaters out!

What kind of sociopaths cheat on these races, which are meant to be personal achievements?
Rudyjax
AG
CDub06 said:

Whoa! I stumbled upon this site last week and actually came over here to post it. Glad I searched before I did.

I was captivated by these investigations. Good for them for calling the cheaters out!

What kind of sociopaths cheat on these races, which are meant to be personal achievements?

Face bragging?
CDub06
AG
Oh, that's certainly it. But that's seriously some sociopath type stuff. I say put them in prison.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone that cheats in golf or running is a moron.

I cheat in golf all the time, but I'm not going to try and claim results based on my toe wedge or improving a lie.
rilloaggie
AG
Spotify has a Runners World podcast that has an episode on this. Absolutely worth a listen!

http://www.runnersworld.com/human-race/episode-12-villains-and-vigilantes
wangus12
AG
I cheat at golf too. Because I'm awful at it.
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

That's why I do it too.
AggieOO
Unthought Known said:

wangus12 said:

That's why I do it too.
replace "golf" with "running" and "awful" with "slow" and you are now see why people cheat.
wangus12
AG
Yeah, but I play golf like 2 times a year and have never in my life signed up for a tournament
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

wangus12 said:

That's why I do it too.
replace "golf" with "running" and "awful" with "slow" and you are now see why people cheat.
Here's the deal. I'm the perfect candidate to benefit from cheating. I run 1/2s in the 1:38-1:40 range, and my first full was 3:33. I only need a 3.22 to BQ. So, if anyone benefited from cheating, it would be me.

So I'm not slow, I'm top 15% for my age. But I'm not fast.

AggieOO
Unthought Known said:

AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

wangus12 said:

That's why I do it too.
Here's the deal. I'm the perfect candidate to benefit from cheating. I run 1/2s in the 1:38-1:40 range, and my first full was 3:33. I only need a 3.22 to BQ. So, if anyone benefited from cheating, it would be me.

So I'm not slow, I'm top 15% for my age. But I'm not fast.

"slow" and "fast" are relative. I'm faster than you. But I'm slow compared to A LOT of my friends.
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

Yeah, but I play golf like 2 times a year and have never in my life signed up for a tournament
you don't think people are cheating on their "PRs" on strava too? just b/c they aren't racing doesn't mean they aren't cheating in other ways.
wangus12
AG
Good point. I didn't think about the training apps and sharing times.
AggieOO
I don't understand cheating either, but just pointing out how some people might view cheating in running like you view it in golf.

In reality, there are probably thousands of reasons people cheat.
culdeus
AG
ok, that podcast was insane. I love it how the races won't do anything because they have nearly no free cash flow to defend themselves from a lawsuit. It requires independent investigators to do this stuff for free.
rilloaggie
AG
My favorite part was when they offered an accused cheater $100,000 if he could match his time that qualified him for Boston. Dude didn't even attempt it.
AggieOO
rilloaggie said:

My favorite part was when they offered an accused cheater $100,000 if he could match his time that qualified him for Boston. Dude didn't even attempt it.
that's b/c Rossi is a cheater.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.