Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running in DC

1,115 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JimDandy
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in DC next week for a conference and don't want to spend all my runs on the hotel treadmill. I've looked at the Strava heat map and it looks like everyone just runs everywhere, especially the places closest to the White House and Capital areas.

Do I just hop on the sidewalk outside my hotel and start running or are there trails?

Also, would it be safe for me, petite woman, to run alone in the early morning (between 5-7am)?
Cancelled
AG
In
Potcake
AG
I ran past the White House, through the Mall, around Washington Monument, past WWII, reflecting pond, Korean, and Vietnam Memorial. There was a group of vets there for a ceremony. I stopped, observed, got dust in my eye, and ran on after they were through.
wangus12
AG
Run through the Mall. I did it around sunrise and sunset when I was there. Really cool experience
hurleyag
AG
I try to get at least one run around the Mall almost every time I go to DC. I just start at my hotel and head that direction for a loop.
Andy07
AG
Running around the mall is pretty safe.

Rock creek park has some nice trails but I hear it gets a big stabby
Endo Ag
AG
Where are you staying? The mall is great. I ran near old Town Alexandria and it is a great neighborhood. I was amazed how large and how heavily used their greenway system is.
mrsbeer05
AG
I'm actually staying two places because I'm adding a vacation to the end of a work trip. I'm starting at the Washington Hilton and moving to the Marriot Mayflower. Both are on Connecticut less than 2 miles north of the White House.
O.G.
Run in and around the Mall area and you will be safe. Along the Potomac out around Haynes point is ok too. Stay in the tourist areas. Multiple layers of Law Enforcement in that area as well as surveillance.
JSKolache
AG
There is also a run/bike trail on the Virginia side of the river for good views and no traffic
JimDandy
Love the Mount Vernon Trail...

https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/mtvernontrail.htm

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.