Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Simple question about gym workout

1,603 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AtlAg75
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
66 years old. Want to lose about 15 lbs and get in better all around shape. First off I want to tone, not worried about building. I've searched the web and the recs are all over the place so I'm asking real people. I do lower body one day, upper the next, and about 45 to 50 mins on the treadmill every day pushing heart rate to 75 to 80% of max (for my age).
Question is: cardio first or weight/resistance first? And thanks.
JoCoAg09
AG
Most the stuff I've read leans toward weights/resistance first and then cardio after. So, that's what I tend to do.
Big Cat `93
AG
I would just do whichever is toughest first.
Endo Ag
AG
Do the one you care about most first. The second workout will suffer. If you aren't training for a specific goal, then I'd do the weights first. You will still get your HR up when you run, you just will get to the same HR at a slightly slower pace. If you run first, you will likely see a more dramatic decrease in the quality of your weight lifting. Eventually, you may find you cannot sustain doing both in the same day as the weight increases, at least that has been my experience.

For a little bit extra unsolicited advice, I'd recommend only going to 65-75% of max HR for a longish run after lifting. You may be digging a deep hole otherwise. Keep it to easy aerobic.
Hoosegow
What you are actually saying is that you want more of your muscle to show. There is one of two ways to do that. You can build muscle which means excess calories and fat or shed fat which means calorie deficit and lose some muscle. Naturally, there unfortunately is no way around that. You can gain strength but that will mostly be neurological adaptation.

So to answer your question, you must ask which one is more important. At 66, I'd say lose fat. In which case, I'd want to get the fat burning portion done first. So I'd do the cardio or HIIT training and then hit the weights.

You can combine weights into an HIIT workout that would help with your strength - which is also very important as we get older. This is probably too advanced for a beginner, but I do a medley of strength implements for my cardio work - prowler, yoke bar, farmers handles.

Seriously you may look into a group class like Body Pump. It ain't no joke if you put the work into it.

Bottom line, though, do something. Do anything. Find something you enjoy. Going for a walk is even a good place to start. Just don't stagnate
10andBOUNCE
AG
I feel like I accomplish more when I get my cardio in before resistance. Easier to keep my HR up the entire workout and I am usually gassed at the end.
irish pete ag06
AG
Good info and well said.
94DallasAG
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I feel like I accomplish more when I get my cardio in before resistance. Easier to keep my HR up the entire workout and I am usually gassed at the end.

Exactly what I do, and why I do it. I've gone the other way and don't notice a significant difference in my lifting. Plus cardio can sometimes be a drag so I force myself to knock it out first
Rockdoc
AG
Thanks. All good info. My first goal is to burn fat. A close second is to tone up.
AtlAg75
AG
Check out a book called "Younger Next Year". If you read it you will probably then focus on cardio. I just bought a Peloton Cycle (see the thread with that in the title) as a result of the book. It describes the benefits of cardio 6 days a week, especially for those of us in our 60's. Great book.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.