Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

"miracle rice"

1,938 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieChemist
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy of mine at work told me about this stuff. It's made from the root of some Japanese plant, and is 100% galactomannan. It has no calories and no carbs.

I ordered a six pack to try it off of Amazon and made seared tuna over "rice" with wasabi, soy, and sriracha. It was really good and scratched the itch I was having for an Asian meal.

the texture is more risotto-ish than rice, but with a little imagination I couldn't really tell the difference. They make pastas out of this stuff too, but I haven't tried them.

I try to keep very low carb, so rice is something I don't eat, but I love Asian/indian dishes and I miss the rice.

This isn't a bad substitute. And, eating a very low carb, low residue diet, I can always use the extra fiber.
bigtruckguy3500
Is that like shirataki noodles? I've had the noodles before. Don't think they get digested at all...let's just say it looked like I had eaten a bunch of worms the next day.

I personally prefer doing the cauliflower rice, although more carbs and calories.
AggieChemist
AG
Yes, the same stuff.

I think the cauliflower rice just tastes like cauliflower.
SJEAg
AG
Interesting, think I will give this a try. Thanks

I do low carb, and most foods I don't miss much...but rice is something I really like with asian food, chili, and meals with gravy.
AgEng06
AG
Interesting.

I eat rice specifically for the carbs, but this could still be something I'd be interested in trying.
Hoosegow
Interesting- so you get full with no calories?
P.U.T.U
AG
Sounds like a pointless food, I am going to eat it for the texture knowing I am going to poo it all out.
Hoosegow
Pointless food?!?!?

My God it must be nice to not struggle with weight.

For what it is worth, there is a satisfaction with being full. For some people pointless food would be a Hod send
P.U.T.U
AG
A food that does nothing for you is pointless. Researching the noodles more they are a prebiotic so they aid in digestion, I would say that is a good thing.

I am up at 4:30am every day to work or work out and am disciplined about what I eat. Not going to apologize for that
newhowdyag2004
I wake up every morning early as well, to either w/o, go to my main job, or train somebody. I also watch everything I put in my mouth and while I LOVE beer, went cold turkey to stay low carb.

THAT being said, not everybody has that will power and anything that can aid in them losing weight, getting healthier while avoiding chemicals or drugs is a great thing. Once people get over that hump, they don't need those aids any more. My boss lost 100 lbs with diet alone and now craves little to no sweet (was drinking a liter of Diet Coke a day).

So, you don't have to apologize for yourself, but you can understand that not everybody has that strict willpower.
SJEAg
AG
Well, I bought some off Amazon and gave it a shot. Not a fan. The taste/smell is whatever...it basically has no flavor which is fine. But I just found the texture too off-putting and unnatural. At no point could I fool myself that I was eating something resembling rice. I tried it both with chili and just mixed with some cabbage and soy sauce.

Anyway, it was worth a shot...always willing to try something new.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
try being asian and low carb...hard as efff...

the shirataki rice is no where near a good sub for rice...
bigtruckguy3500
Perhaps this trick might be of use to some of y'all:

http://time.com/3754097/rice-calories-resistant-starch/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/?utm_term=.8b6a56c0a4b2
AggieChemist
AG
P.U.T.U said:

A food that does nothing for you is pointless. Researching the noodles more they are a prebiotic so they aid in digestion, I would say that is a good thing.

I am up at 4:30am every day to work or work out and am disciplined about what I eat. Not going to apologize for that
I'm up at 5 am every day to work out and am disciplined about what I eat.

I have lost 80 lbs and gone from fat-ass to overweight. I abused myself in my twenties and thirties, and weight doesn't come off very well in my forties.

Weight loss will be something I work on/struggle with for the rest of my life.

Not going to apologize for that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.