Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Post workout Carb drink

2,206 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.U.T.U
tmas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I take protein after my workouts but want to up my carb intake immediately after my workout.

What do you recommend?
Geriatric Punk
AG
IPA
Cancelled
AG
Learned this morning that you can't do as many IPAs after a hard run as you can if you're a lazy *******.
wcb
AG
Low fat chocolate milk has been a go-to for me in the past. Good 3:1 carb:protein ratio.
bigtruckguy3500
I eat a banana or some other fruit.
Phat32
AG
wcb said:

Low fat chocolate milk has been a go-to for me in the past. Good 3:1 carb:protein ratio.
+1 - grab one for my weekly long run. Nice reward too.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
Assuming you are also taking protein post workout, are you just mixing the protein powder into chocolate milk?
wcb
AG
I think it depends on what kind of workout here. Chocolate milk is great following long cardio workouts. Restores the glycogen and has some protein to boot.

Following a hard gym workout, I'm assuming protein would be the primary objective. I'd defer to Hoosegow or some of the other lifters for their suggestions.
Phat32
AG
The workout in question is usually a 10+mi run, so I'm not caring about protein at that point. Just gimme carbs.

culdeus
AG
If not looking to spend much money maltodextrose is what the bros usually use. If willing to spend money you can use all sorts of stuff including just simple juices and of course regular milk.
747Ag
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

IPA
Make mine an Imperial IPA.
tmas
AG
Thanks. I do a 30 minute workout every month. Some combination of HIIT, carbo and weights.

I've been doing protein, but sounds like I might want to up my carb intake right after the workout.
RedlineAg08
If you're looking for a supplement I recommend these 2 for recovery shakes

Torrent by Universal - Green Apple only - 302 calories, 20g protein, 52g carbs
Myogenix After Shock - They all taste fine - 290 calories, 34g protein, 30g carbs

I work out in the am and just switch from Torrent to Aftershock to reduce my carbs. I take it right after workout and then head home and cook breakfast.
Hoosegow
Or just drink chocolate milk for 16g of protein and 44 g of carbs for a **** ton less $
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Hoosegow said:

Or just drink chocolate milk for 16g of protein and 44 g of carbs for a **** ton less $

i have seen and completely agree with real foods as your protein source and have seen you comment on it many times. as a power lifter do you really not use any whey or similar protein supplement?
txags92
AG
rasher said:

The workout in question is usually a 10+mi run, so I'm not caring about protein at that point. Just gimme carbs.

Your body needs some protein to go with the carbs after a longer endurance workout like that. If you don't give it some, it may harvest it from your muscle tissue to use with the carbs you consume. 3:1 carbs to protein is a good ratio with some science behind it and choc milk is a good all in one natural source for it.
Hoosegow
How about this? For the most part, no. I have whey and casein in the cabinet. The casein is probably 1 year old. The whey maybe 6 months. I'll get on kicks where I'll take some to work because I've been hungry in the afternoon or morning.

But yah. I don't use anything. I used to try everything. Every new supplement that comes out says the exact same thing as the ones from 15 years ago. I have magazine adds to prove it. If you do your research, you won't find one of the ingredients in Brand X have been proven to work. Creatine does work, but not enough in my opinion to take.

A lot of guys i lift with take pre-work out for the stimulants. The ingredients are caffeine or some herb that has caffeine in it. But none of it has proven to do anything but keep you up. You don't get any increase in gains (for lack of a better term).

I've been at this a long time. I've wasted a lot of money on supplements. I understand protein is nothing but food. It is not a supplement. It is a highly processed food and thus it is simply a part of your diet.

There are supplements that work and work really well. HGH, vitamin T, igfs. But I'm 45. There is no money in using drugs for me. The legal and health risks just aren't worth it to me.

The other fake supplements, look at the risk vs the questionable reward. There is no scientific proof they work. There is no research on the negative effects. You are basically a science experiment. I've had friends go to the doctor with jacked up livers because of this crap.

None of it,0, zip, nada is worth it.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
appreciate the response. i'm not a supplement guy other than whey. i eat a lot but find it helpful as a meal supplement in a pinch. i guess i'm more curious how you eat enough protein in a busy day with only whole foods. i guess i could always carry an extra chicken breast/can of tuna or two or some eggs in the big bag of food i walk out the door with every morning. i weigh 240 lbs and the 1g protein per pound deal is hard to achieve when you're usually strapped for time (i know people have differing opinions on that metric).
P.U.T.U
AG
For an endurance athlete you should be able to get enough protein in your normal diet that you do not need to supplement with anything.

Some recent studies say using just a carb drink after a long run is as good as a carb/protein. Others say 3:1 or 4:1 is ideal. Just get something in, preferably from real foods. I am in the same boat as I have some protein powder but rarely take it, real food does it for me and I gained 40 pounds in a few months.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
for the record (not sure if you were answering me, p.u.t.u.) but i don't do the triathlon thing anymore. i was asking hoosegow questions more in line with weight training (sorry for the derail).
Hoosegow
I'm going to ask one question ruddyduck. From what scientific base of knowledge are you getting 1g of protein?

Also, whey is not a supplement. It is food. When you choose to use it, you are making a menu choice. There is nothing magical about protein. If you put olive oil into your shake, you don't call it a fat supplement.
P.U.T.U
AG
It is not that hard, eat a good source of protein for every meal. At 240 pounds that is a lot of food and it sounds like you are on the right track with carrying chicken or tuna cans with you. Eat more to get bigger less to lose weight. Meals based on steak or eggs are your friends.

Do a workout and eat something, if you do not have time to get a meal of real food then take the protein supplement. There is no replacement for hard work and good food in the long term.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.