Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2017 CrossFit Open

28,151 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by emando2000
jbanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone feel like this was the toughest open in it's existence?
OutdoorAg
AG
HHH 95 said:

9:13 Scaled. All unbroken. Admittedly, the scaled weight was really light, I just wish I could do double unders.

I'm right there with you. I'm doing scaled in the morning. I know the weight is going to be too light for me, but I simply can't do DUs. I mean like I can't even get two in a row. Oh well. I'm hoping to get under 12:00.
OutdoorAg
AG
AggieT said:

I skipped 17.5. 17.4 did a number on my lower back... Does anyone have a recommendation for a belt?

I'm definitely in worse shape this year than last, and it pisses me off. Serious lack of effort (attendance) for the past six months. I'm now incredibly motivated to get back in the gym and get back in fighting shape. Not an excuse, but it's crazy the amount of time that young kids consume.

My Open performance this year was pathetic and eye opening. In that sense, the Open is beneficial for tracking how much you have improved, but also how much you haven't. Next year...

I agree. I've been way too inconsistent this past year. Funny thing is I've been more motivated to workout ever since the open started. Can't wait to see the results next year!
AgMarauder04
AG
Crossfit is Stupid.
Crossfit is dumb.
I hate Dave Castro.
My body hates me.
DuckDown2013
AG
13:56 RX on the redo.
Not quite the improvement I had hoped for but I think the :37 second improvement was still Worth it
YourFavAggie
AG
Was going great and stringing together DU's (which I was very pleased with), and then tweaked my wrist catching the bar weird on the thruster. I tried to keep going, but figured it wasn't worth the injury. Oh well, this will be a good year to hopefully show progress against.
gambochaman
AG
Friday I was excited about trying again this week. but after the L1 this weekend, there was no way I was going to try that again. We had to do Thruster/burpees on saturday and medball cleans yesterday...arms and leg are hurting too much
jbanda
AG
Congrats on the L1!
gambochaman
AG
thanks! it was an absolute blast...of course I dont find out if I passed until sometime next week

any of you volunteering in San Antonio for the South Regional? I will be on the timing team.
AgEng06
AG
Don't forget to put your 17.5 scores in the sheet if you want to be counted. I will finalize everything Wednesday afternoon.
RedlineAg08
Dropped 10000 spots because of 17.5. Out of top 10% lol.

Dubs got me again
emando2000
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

Dropped 10000 spots because of 17.5. Out of top 10% lol.

Dubs got me again
I feel your pain. prolly jumped about 1500 times that night.
DuckDown2013
AG
I hereby motion to eliminate Htownag10 from the 2017 Texags Crossfit Open Leaderboard!
gambochaman
AG
seconded
AgEng06
AG
Alright guys (and gals), I have updated everything in the spreadsheet. I dropped those that haven't filled in their 17.5 scores from the table. (I didn't, however, go back and update the ranks from each prior workout.)

Congrats to Mrs RedlineAg08 for topping us all, and for DuckDown2013 for topping the Individual Men division.

And great work to all that participated!
gambochaman
AG
thanks for doing all that work for us man!
DuckDown2013
AG
Awesome- Really enjoyed this! Looking forward to next year already!
Mrs Redline is a beast!
DuckDown2013
AG
It is awesome to see improvement from my first Open last year.

2016:
Worldwide: 54,897
Region: 3,911
State (Virginia): 902

2017:
Worldwide: 23,810
Region: 1,605
State (Virginia): 372

RedlineAg08
She keeps me on my toes. I won't live this open down now.

Ah well, next year hopefully it won't be a workout that solely focus' on DUs and I'll redeem myself
RedlineAg08
http://www.menshealth.com/is-crossfit-a-cult

Good article. I know a couple of the people in the photos. Makes me really want to go to Wodapalooza next year.
DuckDown2013
AG
great article.
DuckDown2013
AG
now that the open is over, a few people form my box are doing the 100 burpee challenge if anybody wants to jump in. Why? Why not??
100 burpees a day for 100 days in a row (in addition to regular programming).

I am 4% done (400/10,000)
gambochaman
AG
I PASSED!! CFL1!
DuckDown2013
AG
congrats!
emando2000
AG
gambochaman said:

I PASSED!! CFL1!
Congrats!

What does it entail? I ask because my coach approached me about possibly coaching with the box. I've only been in crossfit since February but starting next week I will be shadowing other sessions where I'm not actually doing the workouts. We don't have a timeline, he just wants to see if I'd like to do it after seeing things from a coaching perspective. If I like it and it makes sense on both sides then we'll get to that point.

A friend of mine has sent a few people to take their L1 and not everyone passed.
gambochaman
AG
If you're interested, go ahead and download the l1 guide from the crossfit website. All testing material comes from that. The cost is $1k
You do a 2 day seminar 9am to 5pm
Then the last thing on sunday is a 55 question test. Pass is 70% I believe
emando2000
AG
Thank you sir!
DuckDown2013
AG
Hit the Jesus WOD today. I recommend it for those of you who have not done it. It is BRUTAL.

"The Jesus WOD is done as a means of aligning Christian beliefs physically, mentally, and spiritually. It is not intended to grandstand an athlete's ability it is not designed to "measure-up" to what Jesus encountered in His crucifixion it is not a typical CrossFit workout and it IS NOT REQUIRED.
The Jesus WOD is particularly brutal. Some participants have been able to finish it as prescribed; others have found that they had to scale-down the weight as the workout wore-on; all participants have found that it helps them better grasp the amount of suffering Jesus endured. PLEASE BE WARNED: this workout perhaps more than any other CrossFit workout taxes most athletes beyond their limits mentally and physically. SEVERAL have reported needing a day or two to heal-up after it is all said and done.

Here is the workout as prescribed
14 rounds for time of:
10 deadlifts (95/65)
10 squat cleans (95/65)
10 push-press (95/65)
50 ft of walking lunges with barbell on back + walk back to starting point
Athletes may only "de-load" the barbell from their control during rounds 3, 7, and 9. As these three rounds are completed, the athlete must place the barbell on the ground, pick-up a kettlebell (53/35), and complete 7 Turkish get-ups (for a total of 21 TGUs across the three rounds).
The workout represents the 14 Stations of the Cross and the three time Jesus fell to the ground.
[ol]
  • Jesus is condemned to death
  • Jesus carries his cross
  • Jesus falls the first time
  • Jesus meets his mother
  • Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry the cross
  • Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
  • Jesus falls the second time
  • Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
  • Jesus falls the third time
  • Jesus is stripped of his garments
  • Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
  • Jesus dies on the cross
  • Jesus is taken down from the cross
  • Jesus is laid in the tomb"
  • [/ol]

We did this as a partner WOD because doing it by yourself it literally the worst thing ever- even worse than 20lb weighted Murph.
    My buddy and I were 39:01 RX. My grip started to fail on me at round 9, so I technically did not complete the workout RX since I put the bar down. Props to any of you who can do the whole thing with a partner an still not put the bar down between the two of you except during turkish get ups.
    reproag
    AG
    DuckDown2013 said:

Hit the Jesus WOD today. I recommend it for those of you who have not done it. It is BRUTAL.

"The Jesus WOD is done as a means of aligning Christian beliefs physically, mentally, and spiritually. It is not intended to grandstand an athlete's ability it is not designed to "measure-up" to what Jesus encountered in His crucifixion it is not a typical CrossFit workout and it IS NOT REQUIRED.
    The Jesus WOD is particularly brutal. Some participants have been able to finish it as prescribed; others have found that they had to scale-down the weight as the workout wore-on; all participants have found that it helps them better grasp the amount of suffering Jesus endured. PLEASE BE WARNED: this workout perhaps more than any other CrossFit workout taxes most athletes beyond their limits mentally and physically. SEVERAL have reported needing a day or two to heal-up after it is all said and done.

Here is the workout as prescribed
    14 rounds for time of:
    10 deadlifts (95/65)
    10 squat cleans (95/65)
    10 push-press (95/65)
    50 ft of walking lunges with barbell on back + walk back to starting point
    Athletes may only "de-load" the barbell from their control during rounds 3, 7, and 9. As these three rounds are completed, the athlete must place the barbell on the ground, pick-up a kettlebell (53/35), and complete 7 Turkish get-ups (for a total of 21 TGUs across the three rounds).
    The workout represents the 14 Stations of the Cross and the three time Jesus fell to the ground.
    [ol]
  • Jesus is condemned to death
  • Jesus carries his cross
  • Jesus falls the first time
  • Jesus meets his mother
  • Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry the cross
  • Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
  • Jesus falls the second time
  • Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
  • Jesus falls the third time
  • Jesus is stripped of his garments
  • Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
  • Jesus dies on the cross
  • Jesus is taken down from the cross
  • Jesus is laid in the tomb"
  • [/ol]

We did this as a partner WOD because doing it by yourself it literally the worst thing ever- even worse than 20lb weighted Murph.
    My buddy and I were 39:01 RX. My grip started to fail on me at round 9, so I technically did not complete the workout RX since I put the bar down. Props to any of you who can do the whole thing with a partner an still not put the bar down between the two of you except during turkish get ups.

Going to have try this one today after work. Happy Easter everyone.
    DuckDown2013
    AG
    Thread Bump.

Saw this video on crossfit youtube page. Very cool story and it seems like the family has Aggie ties. Aggie license plate and caught a glimpse of A&M flag in their box. Definitely want to drop in here next time I get to SA.

Crossfit Optimistic
    txaggie05
    AG
    That's my box. Just moved over there about a month ago. Great people. Neither of them went to A&M, but they have 2 kids there right now and have really adopted A&M as their own.
    emando2000
    AG
    I started crossfit pretty much the week before the open and my coach was adamant about me signing up for the open even though I just started. At that time I was like "WTF is the open? I have no idea what he's talking about?" I'm glad he pushed it cuz I plan on retesting each of the open workouts when I have time.

Sunday I went in to sweat out my hangover and decided to do 17.1 just to see where I stand.
    February I did 210 reps
    Sunday I hit 16:37

It's pretty amazing how much crossfit has changed my life. Got my L1 back in July and now run 4-5 classes a week and may end up full time at our box. From proper dieting to just overall health... I owe a lot to my coaches! The community aspect reminds me of competitive sports back in the day! I can't say enough about the camaraderie, sweat and progress it yields! My only regret is that I wish I didn't wait till the age of 39 to start!
    klsmith89
    AG
    Any tips/quick guidelines on dieting?
    I just began crossfit a few weeks ago, and that's the one thing that I've been struggling to figure out so far. Especially if I do evening classes after work (what do I eat before, what do I eat after)?
    Crossfit has really re-sparked my fitness routine. I love it!
    emando2000
    AG
    A lot of people "that are focused on their diet" at our box are doing an intermittent fasting keto diet. It's not the easiest thing to do at first but the results are ridiculous. I eat about 1800 cal per day with only about 10 to 15% carbs. I know a lot of people in the Crossfit world love their carbs but right now I'm not missing it. There was an initial adjustment. But my body adopted and I feel fine.
    My main advice would be to shred the unnecessary weight. It will help with everything from pull-ups to handstand push-ups to metcons.
    Right now I pretty much eat the same thing each day for simplicity because I'm so busy. Chicken, avocados, protein shake, quest bars, bacon & eggs, flank or sirloin steak, blueberries, almonds, spinach & bulletproof coffee. That's pretty much it for 5 days a week. On Saturday & Sunday I'll go out to eat & stray off the diet but that's what I eat each week.
    Diet is key. Use MyFitnessPal to track your calories. It's tedious initially but becomes second nature after about 2 weeks.
    emando2000
    AG
    I workout at 7:30 pm during the week. I usually eat a quest bar about 45 min before to get some carbs in. It helps from feeling hungry but isn't too much where I feel full.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.