Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2017 CrossFit Open

28,160 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by emando2000
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I know, a lot of you don't like CF. That's fine and you don't have to read any further or click again.

For those that do... I figured I'd get this going since we're 2 weeks out.

This will be my first time to participate and I'm really just trying to get an idea of where I stand and what I can do. I know I most likely won't be able to do all workouts at Rx, but I'm going to try anyway.

Who all here is participating?

Do any of you feel like you have a shot to qualify?

Are you doing anything specific to get ready?

Google Sheet Link: 2017 CrossFit Open_TexAgs H&F - Just enter your username/info and score for each workout. I will add/update the ranking after each week.
RedlineAg08
I'm signed up. It'll be my 3rd

I have no chance at qualifying. My goal is to finish in the top 10%. Double-unders are the bane of my existence and if I can at least become consistent with them I think I can do it.

I'm leaning out. I put on about 10lbs since last year. Mostly good weight, but with it comes a little more chunk. Was hovering around 195lbs. Currently at 189 and would like to be a couple pounds lighter in 2 weeks.

Been doing Open prep since January 2nd. It's become my favorite time of the year, but by the 5th week I'm ready for it to be over.. Welcome to the addiction.
AgEng06
AG
Nice. Good luck.

DUs are terrible for me as well. If I can get them down, I have a decent chance of at least finishing the workouts. Right now I'm doing good to string 4-6 together at a time.
AggieChemist
AG
I refuse to pay Crossfit HQ $20 just to do the same workouts that I'll do at my box already. I am not going to a regional, and I'm not interested in doing so. I'm a semi-fat 40 year old man that goes to Crossfit to build a better me little by little.

I don't care how I stack up against 10,000 other people.

So I'll do the workouts, and I'll discuss them here, but I won't be registering or participating in a formal sense.
reddog90
AG
Good for you?
RedlineAg08
I know a lot of people that do that. The only reason I sign up is because I like to see my progression year over year against the competition.

Chemists' H&F post on crossfit 3 years ago and how it's helped him got me to give it a try and I haven't looked back since.
AggieChemist
AG
reddog90 said:

Good for you?
Your sarcasm didn't go unnoted.

If you are in a position to compete, and have the desire, it makes perfect sense to pay your $20 and give it a shot. If you have $20 in your pocket and are curious where you stand across the spectrum of athletes, again, knock yourself out.

But if I'm already paying $150 a month for crossfit, I'm not going to pony up an extra $20 because Dave Castro says I should. I can still see how I stack up against myself in wodify.

A couple of years ago the push to participate fully in the open was pretty aggressive and off-putting and left a bad taste in my mouth. I think crossfit is great and I appreciate the open and will watch the games, but charging everybody in crossfit $20 once a year is a pretty blatant cash grab.

Your opinion may vary and that's fine.

OutdoorAg
AG
Signed up and ready. I have zero chance of making regionals.
jbanda
AG
Signed up. This will be my 5th. No chance in hell l'll qualify.
AggieHunter
AG
Hmm...Custom TexAgs Leaderboard?
Geriatric Punk
AG
Fit chicks working out.
Oautlawag2005
AG
This will be my 4th year. It's dangerous watching it on tv b/c like texas hold'em you start thinking you can do that stuff for real. Then you realize those people are legit athletes. I don't venture to this board much since I've noticed the hate with crossfit even though research has shown serious health consequences with long distance running, triathlons, etc. but I digress. I just want to finish better each year. A lot of the open comes down to pacing strategy (better to do Wallballs 5 at a time, take a deep breath or 2 and go again, otherwise you end up losing a huge amount of time catching your breath). I do t do anything specific to get ready but follow the program at builtbybergeron.com. Pacing strategy should be only do 25-30% of your best set at a time so that you can maximize the time you are actually working versus hunched over and catching your breath. Also remember to not hold your breath.
AggieChemist
AG
We've been doing previous open wods a couple times per week.

Today was 13.4,

The clean and jerk/toes to bar ladder for 7 minutes.

I scaled the C&J to 95 lbs and got 60 reps, completing the round of 12 as time expired.

I can C&J 135 with a certain amount of ease, but it's something like 80%, not something I'm comfortable busting out for reps in a wod.
jbanda
AG
Yup. We just got done re testing that wod. I got 45 more reps than in 2013. My hips gave out before anything else.
AgEng06
AG
We hit 15.2 this morning. As someone that struggles w/ OHS, it sucked.

Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
From 0:00-3:00
2 rounds of:
10 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 3:00-6:00
2 rounds of:
12 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 6:00-9:00
2 rounds of:
14 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
14 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds
DuckDown2013
AG
I am a failure for posting another thread on the open, so ignore that!

Looking forward to improving on my performance from last year in my first open. I did not have HSPU's, Bar muscle ups, or ring muscle ups last year (I have all of those movements down now), so I am hoping for a big jump in the standings.

2016 Overall Rank: RX Men 54,897th
Regional rank (Mid-Atlantic): 3,911th
State Rank (Virginia): 902nd

I did 13.3 for the first time last friday (12 min amrap:150 wall balls, 90 Du's, 30 bar Muscle ups ) and ended up getting 13 bar muscle ups as time expired. Hoping for a repeat of this one!!
DuckDown2013
AG
AgEng06 said:

We hit 15.2 this morning. As someone that struggles w/ OHS, it sucked.

Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
From 0:00-3:00
2 rounds of:
10 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 3:00-6:00
2 rounds of:
12 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 6:00-9:00
2 rounds of:
14 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
14 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds
Would LOVE to see this again this year since it is a manageable OHS weight.
Corps_Ag12
AG
First year for me to sign up for the open, but I've been doing crossfit for almost 3 years. Actually serious about it starting this year.

I'm signed up for scaled, but my goal for next year is to be signed up RX. No way in hell I'll be competitive.

My coach went to regionals 2 or 3 years ago. It's insane how much those athletes put into their level of fitness. 4-6 hours daily working out. Plus the supplements to help with recovery when you're training that hard.
DuckDown2013
AG
Do any of you think we will really see the 50LB DB OVH lunge? I admit I am not the strongest, but did pretty well in 16.1 last year. Doing the OVH Lunge with 2 DB's is crazy tough compared to the 95lb. bar weight from last year. With strict judging, this could break a lot of people.

In my opinion, I think we will do a DB movement in the open, but I think Castro is just trying to trick everybody into thinking it will be the OVH lunge. I am guessing it will be DB Thrusters.
jbanda
AG
I believe it will be db snatch. I'm hoping anyways.
DuckDown2013
AG
that would be ideal. 50lb DB snatch is no problem- would probably be a lot of reps.
RedlineAg08
I don't know. I'm so scared of having to do 16.1 again. If they were to modify that workout to include the OH DB lunges for 20 mins, I'll die.
jbanda
AG
We just did 15.4 again yesterday (185 cleans and HSPU).

15.4 - 8 reps Rx
Yesterday - 38 reps Rx

Still crummy at HSPU but making progress.
YourFavAggie
AG
I have been off and on for three years. I plan on signing up for the open, but just to have a measure to track against in the future.

Open is always an exciting time of year though
DuckDown2013
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

I don't know. I'm so scared of having to do 16.1 again. If they were to modify that workout to include the OH DB lunges for 20 mins, I'll die.

No kidding. The 95lbs in a bar was tough, but I managed well. I'm not even sure I can get 25 feet of ovh walking lunges with 2 50lb db's...it's a game changer.
Oautlawag2005
AG
It won't be OH walking Lunges with DBs. Way to much of an increase in difficulty. Probably gonna thrusters. Squat Cleans and box step overs are possibilities. Snatch is out since he showed a pair of each weight.
DuckDown2013
AG
2(50lb) DB Thrusters still suck for what it's worth...
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
I'm in... Masters RX. Not looking forward to anything with 50lb DB's
ceatm07
Good luck to everyone this year!

I wish I was able to participate this year, but I'm just now coming back from a lower back injury in October after finally hitting regional lbs. lifts in C&j and snatch (never do I expect to make regionals, those folks are in the league of their own).

I hit the top 9% in the region last year (I also filtered the results to 31-35 yo to feel even better ) and was shooting for top 6%-7% this year. At this point I might as well just train for the 35+ masters in 2 years.

I remember many of you having fantastic results last year and others being extremely proud of how far they had come since 2015. Keep it up everyone, I'll be watching from the stands this year so to speak.
AggieChemist
AG
90% back squats followed by Fran this morning.

Ugh.
gambochaman
AG
registered for the third year running...looking forward to seeing more progress
RedlineAg08
14.4 this morning

60 cal row
50 T2B
40 Wall Balls
30 Power Cleans (135/95)
20 Muscle Ups

Originally it was a 14m AMRAP. We just did it to completion (1 round). Think I got 7 muscle ups at 14 mins, and it took me another 6 mins to do the remaining 13.
gambochaman
AG
we're doing the 55 rep one from last year

55 dl at 225
55 wall balls
55 cals on rower
55 hspu

13 min timecap
gambochaman
AG
on a related note, I'm taking the judges course, and the thruster/C2B rep counting is owning me
jbanda
AG
I passed that judges course by the grace of god.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.