Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tennis Elbow

1,494 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't play tennis, but I damaged the tendons/muscles in my upper forearm next to my elbow during a long afternoon of repetitive motion yardwork and it sure feels like a bad case of tennis elbow. Anyway, I've babied it for several months now and the pain isn't getting better. Any suggestions?
The Lost
Cut it off /gb
74OA
AG
It's an option I'm considering.....thanks.
aggiederelict
See a physical therapist. Where are you located?
74OA
AG
Not ready for that just yet.
aggiederelict
Several months and you aren't ready? What does ready look like for you? I would say take it easy if this was a few weeks but it might be time to do something about it.
74OA
AG
Well, frankly I haven't done much except try and stay off it. I was wondering if there was more I could do myself before paying for help. I thought perhaps the athletes here might have some suggestions....
Twelfthman
AG
I've had recurring issues with tennis elbow in the past and what I've done to combat it is wear a compression elbow sleeve. Lately I've been using a copper fit one you can get pretty much anywhere for $10.
74OA
AG
Thanks, I just bought one myself. Anything else?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Been there done that. Time and rest. Wearing the sleeve helps when doing stuff. Mine took about 4 - 5 months to heal.
bigtruckguy3500
The sleeve should work. There's also another option that is like a sleeve, but you wear it below the elbow, I forget what it's called. It's a more narrow band. It basically deloads the attachment of those extensor forearm muscles. I had flexor tendonitis (golfer's elbow), massage and rest is what worked for me. A lot of rest, unfortunately. Like 3-4 weeks of virtually no heavy gripping.
74OA
AG
Thanks!
aggiederelict
bigtruck is referencing a cho-pat brace. Compression sleeves and braces are more mental than anything. Just like those neoprene sleeves for the knee with the cut out for the kneecap. There isn't much evidence that supports their use. But it can still be a nice reminder to protect the area.

Tendons don't have a great blood supply. They can take a long time to heal. Much different than a muscle strain which takes very little time to heal. Tendons need to be loaded to remodel. Look at an eccentric loading program for tennis elbow.

Also, sometimes it is tennis elbow sometimes it is not in that area. Other possibilities as long as trauma wasn't present would a radial nerve entrapment of arthrosis/arthritis of the humeral radial joint.
ChiefHaus
Cho pat straps work. Rest (which basically means don't do anything that makes your pain go up), ice for 20 min at a time, talk to a doctor about taking an anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks as prescribed. Problem with tennis elbow is it is darn hard to rest.
74OA
AG
Thanks to both of you! Very helpful.........
bigtruckguy3500
aggiederelict, what's this thing? And does it work? The website with the picture just calls it a special rubber bar.

Thanks

aggiederelict
Therabar. Nice tool for eccentric loading.
johnmyu
The theraband worked well for me a couple years ago. Elbow tendinitis to the point that picking up the TV remote was excruciating - took a long time but the theraband helped along with the other things mentioned.
bigtruckguy3500
aggiederelict said:

Therabar. Nice tool for eccentric loading.

Thanks
bigtruckguy3500
johnmyu said:

The theraband worked well for me a couple years ago. Elbow tendinitis to the point that picking up the TV remote was excruciating - took a long time but the theraband helped along with the other things mentioned.

Therabar (pictured above) or theraband?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.