Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bike and Build: Pedaling across the country for affordable housing

844 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chico
chuckles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Fellow Ags,

My name is Chris, class of 12'. This summer I will be biking across the country in support of affordable housing through an NPO called Bike and Build. Pre-trip will require a lot of training and work to build up to the stamina required for cross-country touring.

If anyone has any tips to share for training or milestones they have met taking on something like this I would be so greatly appreciative. Similarly I am on the lookout for good gear as well.

Also, if you are interested in learning more or would like to donate to the cause you can read more here: Bike and Build Rider Profile

Thanks and gig em!
-Chris

AggieOO
I rode from Austin to Anchorage in 04 as part of Texas 4000 for cancer. More than happy to give you advice/info/etc.
chuckles
AG
that would be great! Looking to build up slowly per week. How did you start off?
AggieOO
I didn't even own a bike when I started. My experience is probably a little different because '04 was Texas 4000's first year, so the organization/training was lacking at the time.

I started my training on an exercise bike at the gym. Started with 30 mins, move to 45, then an hour. I was in the gym for a couple months before I got a bike and move to riding outside. I did borrow a bike a couple times to do some 20ish mile group rides before I had my bike. Once I had the bike, I rode everywhere I could, plus did training rides, gradually building my mileage. I really didn't have any idea what I was doing, as I'd never seriously ridden a bike before. I did one century ride before we left on the trip, which was a huge mental boost.

The good thing about cycling is that once you get your "legs," its pretty easy to stretch mileage. Its more about getting to the point that you are comfortable in the saddle.
chico
AG
I put some money out there for you - good luck!
I've ridden for years, but not at a super-level. I do suggest riding as much as you can, wherever you can. Join some group rides from local bike shops (usually early Sat/Sun mornings). Get used to riding with others and riding on roads as cars whiz past you. There are charity rides most Saturdays around the state, do some of those as well so you get a variety of conditions & terrain. Endurance training is better than speed training.
A couple years ago I rode a bike across a country as well....Rwanda. It's much smaller than USA! Raised money for charity also. Great experience and you'll certainly enjoy your adventure.
chuckles
AG
that helps! I think I def want to get to a point where I am comfortable. Also want to make sure to invest in a good seat.
chuckles
AG
Thanks Chico really appreciate it!
chico
AG
another suggestion is to get a proper bike fit. Tad Hughes Custom Fit is in Houston, but Dallas probably has someone as well. Tad gives a 2 hr analysis and adjusts seat, stem, handlebars etc. so that you have maximum comfort with decreased chance of injury. For example, he put a few spacers in my right shoe clips which greatly helped relieve pain in my calf on long rides. Worth the time/cost.
Rule Number 32
AG
Can you give a ballpark figure on about how much the custom fitting costs? I'm not real serious about cycling but ride a couple times a week and like to do charity rides.
Just wasn't sure if it was really worth it to someone who doesn't ride all the time.
chico
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

Can you give a ballpark figure on about how much the custom fitting costs? I'm not real serious about cycling but ride a couple times a week and like to do charity rides.
Just wasn't sure if it was really worth it to someone who doesn't ride all the time.
Like you, I ride couple times/week and do charity rides. More enjoyable after Tad's services a few years ago. Here's his website.
Tad Hughes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.