Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Protein for Distance Runners

981 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zip04
bkeith16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've tried searching this topic on google but I haven't been able to find any meaningful results.

I'm considering purchasing some protein powder to supplement my regular diet, but I was wondering if any of the experts on this board had any thoughts on the matter.

About me: 22 years old, 5'8, 166 lbs ( would like to get closer to ~155). Currently running ~20mi per week and plan to run my first full marathon within the next year.

Thanks in advance, folks.
AggieOO
i don't supplement with protein. never have for running. I'm sure some do.

when running ultras, i make sure i'm getting protein DURING the race, but that's not something to worry about in a marathon.
wcb
AG
Doing extra protein at the moment simply as a calorie source while trying to drop some weight and build a little muscle. In the past I've used Isagenix; it's more of a meal replacement with 24g protein but also has carbs, fiber, etc. Based on a recommendation from Hoosegow (more of a lifter than endurance guy) I've been trying out Optimum Nutrition. It's pretty much just protein and a ton cheaper. Flavor is good, it mixes well with straight water and does equally well for making shakes. So far so good.

Ask me after Big Sur (end of April) how well it worked out...
Frederick Palowaski
AG
I would think just about any protein powder taken immediately after a run would help.
P.U.T.U
AG
It depends on how much protein you are taking in with your normal diet and if there is any other way to get what you need. I very rarely took any protein drink supplements when I was doing triathlons, just stuck with Real food.
zip04
AG
I'm a big believer in protein supplements. I always drank chocolate milk post run, but switched to protein powder instead the last few years (initially for post strength training). I feel I recover much quicker and have retained better muscle mass as my mileage increased (still lost a lot of weight, but that was because I didn't eat 3500+ calories every day.

My wife and I use intek protein, which is awesome. Lately, we have also been buying the pre-made premier protein drinks for post runs because they are quick and easy and taste just like chocolate milk.
Big Cat `93
AG
I just get the cheap EAS whey powder at Kroger. One scoop in water after my weekday workouts and a scoop in my cereal after long Saturday runs.

I used Optimum Nutrition back when I was lifting more often. Definitely the best tasting whey powder I've used.
coop-aero-06
AG
I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't really see the need to supplement protein as a marathon runner.

Most everything I've read says that getting your weight down is helpful. For example, dropping your weight by 5% will yield a 5% improvement in performance (assuming everything else is equal and you are well-trained). And it's also unnecessary for a distance runner to carry much upper body muscle. So I agree with your goal of getting your weight down.

But I think you should be able to get the necessary protein from a good balanced diet. Most folks who use protein supplements are actively trying to gain weight through increased muscle mass. I would be concerned that you'll gain weight instead of lose weight while on protein.
zip04
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

I would be concerned that you'll gain weight instead of lose weight while on protein.
Someone with more knowledge than me can chime in on this, but I have read multiple studies showing a direct correlation with using a protein supplement and losing weight as well. In fact, when my wife started a bootcamp style workout, the trainer highly recommended a good protein supplement to everyone in the class. Their goal was to lose weight but tone the muscle, and it worked very well.

If you are eating healthy (and the correct number of calories) while doing a significant amount of cardio, it will be very difficult to gain any weight whether you take a protein supplement or not.

My body type is one where I lose weight VERY easy, but have a very difficult time adding or maintaining weight. Therefore, I add the protein supplement to gain extra calories and extra protein to try and maintain my current muscle mass. If not, I will look like a skeleton with skin. I currently sit at 6'0" 161 lbs and do not want to lose anymore weight.
bkeith16
AG
Thank you for all of the responses. Looks like I'm going to continue what I'm doing and not supplement w/protein.

coop-aero-06
AG
zip04 said:

coop-aero-06 said:

I would be concerned that you'll gain weight instead of lose weight while on protein.
Someone with more knowledge than me can chime in on this, but I have read multiple studies showing a direct correlation with using a protein supplement and losing weight as well. In fact, when my wife started a bootcamp style workout, the trainer highly recommended a good protein supplement to everyone in the class. Their goal was to lose weight but tone the muscle, and it worked very well.

If you are eating healthy (and the correct number of calories) while doing a significant amount of cardio, it will be very difficult to gain any weight whether you take a protein supplement or not.
Thanks for the info. I have never used protein supplements myself, so I'm certainly not the authority here.
zip04
AG
I would recommend you utilize the My Fitness Pal app and track your food for a month or so. See exactly how much you are taking in and in what %s you are hitting your macros. If you are doing well as is, leave it alone. If you are having a hard time reaching the appropriate levels, look at changing your diet and/or supplementing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.