Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

iWatch v. Garmin v. Fitbit

5,981 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ec2004
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One thing I like about my Garmin 920XT is I only charge it once every 2 weeks or so. I wear it everyday. It also receives push notifications from my phone. However it won't compete with an Apple Watch in the notification category (my wife has one).
MooreTrucker
AG
AggieOO said:

MooreTrucker said:

How do you charge "on the go" during a run?

A 14 HOUR RUN?!?!?!? I can't even imagine running that long!!
I use something similar to this:

plug the charging cable into it, drop the battery into my hydration vest, run the cable down my arm, put the charging clip on the watch. I can get almost 3 full charges out of a single, fully-charged battery pack. Never needed it for more than 1, but i tested it to see how much charge I could get.
Genius!!!
Madmarttigan
AG
The question is, which device boasts the most accurate heart rate monitor? My bet is that they all have issues.

I have the charge 2 and it really isnt any better than the original FB charge HR.
07fta07
AG
tv1113 said:

The question is, which device boasts the most accurate heart rate monitor? My bet is that they all have issues.

I have the charge 2 and it really isnt any better than the original FB charge HR.

If you're concerned about HR monitoring, find one that accepts a chest strap and go that route.
zip04
AG
Another plus for garmin is the different apps you can download. Here is a prime example of an outstanding app that I use when I run. I can't recommend it enough if you have a compatible garmin watch.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/pacing-races-garmin.html
Pahdz
Which Garmin is the one you can use for golf as well?
Endo Ag
AG
Fenix 3 does. Maybe vivo active too?
jaggiemaggie
AG
been very happy with my Garmin vivoactive
EllisCoAg
AG
Garmin Vivosmart HR is the boss
Madmarttigan
AG
I already own a watch with a chest strap... the point of these watches is to get one accurate enough so that you don't have to wear the annoying chest strap. I know they pale in comparison to the chest strap but maybe one brand of smart watch is better than others. All of the watches use the same tech so I'm pretty sure they all have the same problems. Maybe I'm wrong and garmin does better on this but fitbit has to have very particular positioning and barely tracks weight lifting or HIIT type exercises.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I've been jogging while carrying my phone in my pocket with runkeeper just to track time and distances. I've been looking at fitness trackers / watches and was about to start a new thread just to ask for recommendations.

Requirements: Bluetooth to Android, HR Monitor

Wants: GPS

Would also be nice: watch, ability to track swimming, battery that will last at least 16 hours, < $200

Don't really care about: sleep tracking, music.

So far I've read good things about Fitbit Blaze, Pebble 2+HR and Samsung Gear Fit 2 in addition to the recommendations above (Fenix 3, 735XT, 920XT, Vivosmart HR

51 years old, 5' 11", 185 lbs, want to drop to about 170.
zip04
AG
I'd recommend picking up a 920XT. Does all of the above very well and can be found for about $180 on amazon last I checked. Garmin connect is an awesome tool as well. I love seeing my workouts on the Garmin calendar with all of my data. It also automatically tracks the mileage on your running shoes, etc. which is nice.

Edit: just keep the wifi setting turned off.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I went with a Withings Steel HR.

It doesn't have GPS so I still run with my phone, but the heart rate monitor seems to work well.

It is also waterproof to 50m and will track swimming.

Lightweight and looks like a classic analog watch but has a small screen which will toggle through date/time, heartrate, steps, calories burned, etc...

It also has what also seems to me to be a decent sleep tracker.

For me, the battery has been lasting about 15 days between charges.

I've been happy with it.

Phat32
AG
Have a Forerunner 235 and can't recommend the Garmin family enough. Really decide which sports you are going to be active in, because buying a Fenix just for running isn't probably the best spend.

DC Rainmaker is where your fitness smart watch purchase decisions should start and end. Make sure you use his affiliate link if you buy one of those off of Amazon so he gets a kickback.

Someone else already said it but - if you want to count steps, go Apple. If you are serious about any sort of fitness, get a Garmin or the like.
Dill-Ag13
AG
How do people feel about the Garmin Forerunner 15/25/35 for a simple GPS watch with HRM? Any others I could consider. Needs to be waterproof, would buy something used for less than $100 if I could.
Wife is an Aggie
Any other recent opinions on the Garmin vivoactive HR?

I would love a watch that can do both gps for running & gps for golf and something that is also a reasonable price. At only $250 this seems like a great value.. All the other stuff it can do is just gravy.
Phat32
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

How do people feel about the Garmin Forerunner 15/25/35 for a simple GPS watch with HRM? Any others I could consider. Needs to be waterproof, would buy something used for less than $100 if I could.

This is what we bought the rib. She wanted exactly what you stated and she loves it.
Candiru
AG
I received a Vivoactive HR for Christmas. I previously used a Forerunner 220 with a chest strap HRM. I like it. The activity monitoring / step counter is new for me. The running watch aspect is great. It is customizable. You can download and use different watch faces as well as non standard data field screens for the running, biking, swimming, etc functions. I've only played golf with it once, so I have to learn more about how to use that, but it seemed to be giving fairly accurate yardages.
Ragoo
AG
If I buy Endo's Fenix 3 I will mail you my forerunner 10. Doesnt have HR but it is free...
Dill-Ag13
AG
I appreciate the offer but I really need HR, just getting back into running
ec2004
AG
If anyone is interested, I would be willing to part with my Garmin 610 for $100. It's a great watch (GPS, HRM strap, pacer, etc). You can look up all the features online. I've only used it for running (i.e. not every day wear) so it looks as good as new. It's been a great watch for me but I'm about to upgrade.

Send me an email if interested - ecislaghi at Gmail dot com
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.