Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

iWatch v. Garmin v. Fitbit

5,979 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ec2004
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frequent lurker of this board--good opinions and info here. I currently have a vivoactive Garmin. I like it but would like a tracker that "does more" (GPS tracking, heart rate, etc.). Am attracted to the iWatch because I'm an Apple lemming, but am leery of it not being up to snuff as compared to fitbit and more advanced garmin products.

Any first hand reviews of apple via others? Opinions in general?
AggieOO
Garmin will win these comparisons. Fit bit I lacking way too many features. Only thing I like about mine is that it connects via Bluetooth tof my phone, but garmin does that on newer models. Battery life on my surge is horrible, the optical HR sensor is very inaccurate, and the running statistics during exercise are super limited.

My old ass garmin 405 outperforms the fitbit. I can't speak to Apple since I don't buy any apple products, but from what I've heard, it's behind the curve...kind of like all apple products.
swc93
AG
Not a watch wearer so I ruled iWatch out right off the bat.

I debated between Fitbit Flex 2 and Garmin Vivosmart HR/HR+

I don't like running, so GPS wasn't necessary so I ruled out the HR+. (Which I kind of regret; I read somewhere it can actually help with lap counting when swimming)

Swimming and indoor rowing and biking are what I like to do at the gym so really, besides the obvious of being waterproof, I really just needed something to measure my cardio. So for me the Vivosmart HR was a no brainer.

Slim enough, it made it easy to start wearing something on my wrist; the heart rate info plus the steps/ sleep/ calorie info has been awesome. I have had some issue navigating the screens but that is mostly because I don't take my old man reading glasses with me to the gym so I have trouble reading the smaller texted screens, once I have them memorized this won't be an issue.
zip04
AG
I owned the Fitbit Surge - sold it for an Apple Watch
Sold the Apple Watch for a Garmin 920XT

For me, I felt like I was upgrading watches both times. I love Garmin products. My wife has done the same, but yo a 735XT and also loves the decision to go Garmin.
Desert Power
AG
I have the Garmin Fenix 3 HR and cannot recommend it enough. I have had the Apple Watch and Fitbit Charge HR and I have to say from a fitness perspective, the Fenix 3 HR is so much better at fitness tracking compared to the Apple or Fitbit watches.

In regards to the HR, the Fitbit and Apple Watch would lose my HR reading with even the slightest sweat. I have yet to lose HR reading on my wrist while running.
DeBoss
AG
Can any of those store music on them also? I hate having to have my phone with me when I'm working out or running. So a big key to me is one that can store music and bluetooth to wireless headphones.
Desert Power
AG
DeBoss said:

Can any of those store music on them also? I hate having to have my phone with me when I'm working out or running. So a big key to me is one that can store music and bluetooth to wireless headphones.
The Fenix 3 doesn't store music.
wcb
AG
Don't think any of the Garmin will store music.

Only thing I've heard about the Apple watch was from a coworker last week looking at my Garmin. He said his Apple Watch barely gets through the day on a charge.

I got a 735xt for Christmas and love it. First sport watch I've worn for daily use (had a 910xt before, not exactly designed for everyday wear).

I have yet to meet someone with a Fenix 3 that doesn't love it. So I'd put that one up there as well.
BreNayPop
AG
I love my fitbit surge, had it for about a year now. Lasts a full week on a charge and charges quickly. Does my hr and gps my walks/jogs/bikes ok (rarely screws up). Does bluetooth to my phone so i see my messages on it during work, which is nice but not necessary.

07fta07
AG
Love my Garmin Forerunner 230. The Garmin app is the best that I've seen. GPS is accurate and you can add a chest strap HR monitor if you want. The wrist ones aren't very accurate from what I've seen so I didn't step up to one with wrist HR monitoring.
I probably charge it once every 7-10 days. The battery is great.
htxag09
AG
I have the garmin forerunner 235 and love it. With running, so using the gps, 5 days a week it'll still last a week on a charge. Well it did, I've had mine a year and a half and the battery is starting to slip a little. I think it's running gps or something in the background so have been meaning to do a reset, just haven't yet.

My wife has the Apple Watch and has to charge it every night. I will say she likes it, though. I didn't even look at it as the first generation didn't have a gps, but they do now. From what I've heard, all fitness tracking aspects are better with garmin. Though the apps and other aspects are obviously better with the Apple Watch.

I'll probably be upgrading my 235 to a 735 or fenix 5 this year.
AgEng06
AG
Another vote for Garmin (any of their models). I have a Fenix 3, and plan on upgrading to the Fenix 5 sometime this year.
suprafly03
AG
Apple watch 2.0 stores music.

And mine lasts a full 2 days
Endo Ag
AG
TomTom also can do music.

I have a Fenix 3 from garmin (w/o HR). It's been a great watch, I did just order the new one with HR. Fenix 5. I'm excited for it, but holy crap these things are getting expensive. I anticipate this next one lasting many years though, as there really isn't much I need a watch to do that it doesn't. HR is really the only reason I'm upgrading. Vivoactive HR is certainly the budget sweet spot.

Apple watch 1 was a fitness and HR bust. Haven't heard much from the 2nd gen.

No experience with recent Fitbits.
htxag09
AG
Endo Ag said:

Apple watch 1 was a fitness and HR bust. Haven't heard much from the 2nd gen.

This. Honestly, if the 1st generation had everything the 2nd gen has I probably would have gotten it. Just was completely short sighted and moronic to me to have a watch that advertised and competed in the fitness space and you had to have your phone for it to have gps. So I went with garmin and they completely won me over.
coop-aero-06
AG
I've been running with my iphone with the Strava app running and a Polar HR monitor chest strap for the last several years.

If I were to switch to some sort of GPS watch, and also wanted to keep the same basic setup (i.e. ability to connect with my HR strap and Strava), what's the best bet? Garmin Forerunner 230 or 235? Something else?

Are any of the HR monitor watches that read from your wrist reliable, or is the chest strap still the way to go?
wcb
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

Are any of the HR monitor watches that read from your wrist reliable, or is the chest strap still the way to go?
My three weeks of experience says they're ~90% reliable. They don't ever give crazy readings (high / low), but occasionally it will be slow to respond when doing intervals.

If you're looking for dead on reliability a strap is the way to go. If you're looking for convenience / comfort the wrist is great.
wcb
AG
And I'm assuming everyone here is familiar with DC Rainmaker? I never make a purchase without starting there.
7yrplan
AG
Look at DC rainmakers reviews. Right now I'd go Garmin hands down. Either the 735 or grab the new Fenix 5 when you can.
AggieOO
wcb said:

coop-aero-06 said:

My three weeks of experience says they're ~90% reliable. They don't ever give crazy readings (high / low), but occasionally it will be slow to respond when doing intervals.

If you're looking for dead on reliability a strap is the way to go. If you're looking for convenience / comfort the wrist is great.

Maybe it's bc I have an older surge, but the optical HR is rarely accurate.
StickTogetherAgs
Apple Watch series 2
GIGEMeh
My Fenix 3 HR wrist monitor isn't very accurate during exercise. I imagine it's ok otherwise.

During my normal runs where I get to 150 quickly, then up to 170 eventually, the built in HR had me at 130-140 and eventually got up to 160.
MooreTrucker
AG
BreNayPop said:

I love my fitbit surge, had it for about a year now. Lasts a full week on a charge and charges quickly. Does my hr and gps my walks/jogs/bikes ok (rarely screws up). Does bluetooth to my phone so i see my messages on it during work, which is nice but not necessary.

I love my Surge, too, but the strap is starting to separate from the body, and that can't easily be fixed (other than E6000 glue evidently). And since it's over a year old and no longer under warranty, it won't be replaced but I can get a new one for 25% off. And it appears to be a thing, because their "community" board is full of folks with the same issue.

I'll probably go with the glue because I can't afford to replace it, but if I did I would go with something other than Fitbit. Problem is that I need something with the GPS and can record cycling miles as well as running miles and steps.
AgEng06
AG
MooreTrucker said:

BreNayPop said:

I love my Surge, too, but the strap is starting to separate from the body, and that can't easily be fixed (other than E6000 glue evidently). And since it's over a year old and no longer under warranty, it won't be replaced but I can get a new one for 25% off. And it appears to be a thing, because their "community" board is full of folks with the same issue.

I'll probably go with the glue because I can't afford to replace it, but if I did I would go with something other than Fitbit. Problem is that I need something with the GPS and can record cycling miles as well as running miles and steps.
Garmin, dude. Make the switch.
MooreTrucker
AG
AgEng06 said:

MooreTrucker said:

BreNayPop said:

Garmin, dude. Make the switch.
I had a Vivosmart but it didn't do cycling.
AgEng06
AG
There are plenty other Garmin options that do cycling. You just might have to step up to an actual watch versus a "fitness band".
MooreTrucker
AG
AgEng06 said:

There are plenty other Garmin options that do cycling. You just might have to step up to an actual watch versus a "fitness band".
Agreed. I wear my Surge every day as a watch. I don't think I can go back to just a "fitness band".
frorge
AG
While extremely expensive, I believe the new Garmin Fenix 5 will have a large enough hd to store music. *i think I read that..
Endo Ag
AG
Garmin has been clear that there is no music capability on the Fenix 5. It is technically possible, at least on the 5X, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Garmin has never done a music player.
suprafly03
AG
Yeah, that's probably Apple's game.

GPS watch that'll have enough storage to run music to a set of Bluetooth headphones...leave your phone at home.

That really is cool to think about the technology. It's not particularly mind blowing unless you think about that a decade ago most people didn't even own a phone that could store music. Now we no longer need the phone, just a freaking watch.
easttexasaggie04
AG
This is going to sound like a fitness snob post, but I'm not trying to be. It depends on how serious you are about your watch and data. If you just want to count steps then an Apple Watch or FitBit is fine. If you want to run/bike/swim and track mileage, pace, calories, etc you will have to get a watch like a Garmin, Suunto, etc. I've used Garmin watches for over 5 years (currently wear a Garmin 920XT) and I can't say enough about their quality. Yea, they are expensive but they are simply better.
MooreTrucker
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

This is going to sound like a fitness snob post, but I'm not trying to be. It depends on how serious you are about your watch and data. If you just want to count steps then an Apple Watch or FitBit is fine. If you want to run/bike/swim and track mileage, pace, calories, etc you will have to get a watch like a Garmin. I've used Garmin watches for over 5 years (currently wear a Garmin 920XT) and I can't say enough about their quality. Yea, they are not expensive but they are simply better.
You don't HAVE to get a Garmin, although they might be better. The Surge does a good job of tracking cycling miles, too.
AggieOO
MooreTrucker said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

This is going to sound like a fitness snob post, but I'm not trying to be. It depends on how serious you are about your watch and data. If you just want to count steps then an Apple Watch or FitBit is fine. If you want to run/bike/swim and track mileage, pace, calories, etc you will have to get a watch like a Garmin. I've used Garmin watches for over 5 years (currently wear a Garmin 920XT) and I can't say enough about their quality. Yea, they are not expensive but they are simply better.
You don't HAVE to get a Garmin, although they might be better. The Surge does a good job of tracking cycling miles, too.
I have a surge. It pretty much sits on the counter. It sucks as a running/cycling watch. Yes, it will track the total miles, but the data you can get from the watch during the run sucks. My biggest beef with it is that I can only see average pace of the entire run, it won't give me real-time average pace of the mile I'm currently running. It gives you some crappy measure of your current pace at that exact second (even though its usually 10 seconds behind). Additionally, the battery life sucks. Its probably not an issue for most people, but I can only get about 3.5-4 hours out of the watch. Meanwhile, I can get 7 hours out of an 8 year old garmin watch, and I can charge "on the go," which means I can get data for ultra marathons. Recently got an almost 14 hour run on the watch.

I used my old ass Garmin 405CX for running and i have a garmin edge 25 for all my different riding.

As easttexas mention, if you are just looking for basic info during a run/ride, fitbit is fine. Its all what you want out of the watch. I'm not a "data nerd" by any means, but there are certain features I need/want during a run/race that the Surge just doesn't have.
MooreTrucker
AG
How do you charge "on the go" during a run?

A 14 HOUR RUN?!?!?!? I can't even imagine running that long!!
AggieOO
MooreTrucker said:

How do you charge "on the go" during a run?

A 14 HOUR RUN?!?!?!? I can't even imagine running that long!!
I use something similar to this:

plug the charging cable into it, drop the battery into my hydration vest, run the cable down my arm, put the charging clip on the watch. I can get almost 3 full charges out of a single, fully-charged battery pack. Never needed it for more than 1, but i tested it to see how much charge I could get.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.