Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Training for a 50 mile ultra?

581 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zip04
zip04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO and/or other ultra runners on here, would you advise against running a 50 mile ultra 1 month after a 140.6 or do you think my endurance level from the 140.6 is enough to carry over for the longer run? My thought is that my endurance level would be fine, but not sure about my muscles and bones.

Edit: My goal time would be 10:30 (my marathon in the 140.6 was 4:58).
The Pilot
AG
A few things to consider:

Training for an ironman isn't like training for a 50 miler. I don't know if your ironman running base will be enough to support your attempt at 50 miles.

A month is likely not enough time to recover from an ironman. It's definitely not enough time to recover and train for a 50 miler.
AggieOO
Endurance base will be there. Pretty much everything else would be a no, including recovery.

Could finish? Probably. Would you have fun or feel good about it? Unlikely.
AggieOO
Also, no idea what 50, but time goes out the window on ultras...it completely depends on the course. I've run 50s sub 9 and I've run them close to 13 hours.
zip04
AG
Thanks for the replies. It's the Iron Horse ultra in FL. I've decided to run the Gate River Run (15k) in March, Southernmost Marathon in Key West in Oct, and do the 50 mile Iron Horse race next year. I want to enjoy the race.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.