Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Quitting Caffeine

11,204 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pepper Brooks
GobBluthe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been over a month now and the biggest changes are 1) Sleep feels significantly different. I feel better rested even when I sleep fewer hours, 2) I'm a lot more focused/relaxed.

I'm drinking decaf now (Peet's decaf is identical to it's regular blend) but the only thing I miss is that initial "boost" first thing in the morning while I read the paper.

Definitely won't go back to my old habits, but I'm contemplating beginning to mix in a few cups a week or perhaps a half cup per day (as opposed to a few cups plus a day). In any event, this has been a GREAT change.
aggiespartan
AG
I was drinking a coke a day and rarely drinking coffee. I haven't had either for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed 0 differences.
Matsui
AG
Don't go back. Drink decaf teas as well.
reddog90
AG
I started drinking a PWO shake in the morning that includes a cup of old fashioned oats and haven't needed coffee in months. I've had one soft drink in 6 weeks and I feel great.
Captain Pablo
AG
aggiespartan said:

I was drinking a coke a day and rarely drinking coffee. I haven't had either for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed 0 differences.

That's because you weren't consuming near enough caffeine to notice a difference
P.U.T.U
AG
I drive to much and sleep too little to stop. Often on the weekends I will have very little of any caffeine since I'm moving around so much
Pepper Brooks
AG
Decaf tea has made quitting bareable for me. If only for the psychological benefit of feeling like I'm keeping my mormong routine at work.
SecoKid
AG
Been drinking a few big cups of coffee a day and not getting any boost from it so decided to give up caffeine for Lent. Switched to decaf a few days before and had some headaches. Cut all caffeine on Wednesday and slept really well last night. Looking forward to seeing continued benefits.
htxag09
AG
Not a huge coffee drinker, maybe a cup or two a month. But I probably drink 4+ glasses of tea a day. Gave up on sodas when I was about 16 and honestly didn't miss them so haven't looked back.

Gave up tea for lent, we'll see how this goes.
Counterpoint
AG
What are some really good caffeine-free teas? I need some kind of flavor in my water, but I'm trying to give cut way down on my sugar intake.
TXTransplant
Count Counterpoint said:

What are some really good caffeine-free teas? I need some kind of flavor in my water, but I'm trying to give cut way down on my sugar intake.

Rooibos is a type of tea that is naturally caffeine free but it's darker and mimics something like an Earl Gray. I really like Numi rooibos chai, which you can get at HEB, but most brands have some type of rooibos tea. It's also easy to make your own chai tea with a plain rooibos, if you just steep it with cinnamon, clove, and cardamom. I also really like Stash vanilla cinnamon herbal tea. It also reminds me of a black tea, but without the caffeine. I have to buy it online, though, because I haven't seen that particular flavor in any stores.
SnowboardAg
AG
I actually gave coffee up last week Wednesday. Was a tough decision but so far so good.

Reason I gave up: Coffee has 3 bad things for me - caffeine, sugar, and dairy (after I doctored it all up). I mainly wanted to get off of all milk products.

Side effects after giving up: Headaches the first 2-3 days, and sometimes even light headiness / dizziness.

So far I'm home free on almost 1 week. I would really like to see how I feel after 1 month.

I am drinking some green tea (1-2 cups a day), but that is more for the positives I read on green tea. No soft drinks.
crowman2010
AG
I gave up coffee last July. Once the withdrawal headaches subsided I started sleeping so much better, and I feel great waking up in the mornings. I honestly feel the best I ever have in my life.
culdeus
AG
I don't drink a ton but I'm worried that one of the few things that has control over dementia is caffeine.

I just dont drink any after lunch and I'm fine.
Tonyperkis
AG
I'm on Day 3. I feel really tired all the time and in a fog. I'm drinking decaf coffee so still getting some caffeine. I really love coffee so I haven't decided whether I will go full blown caffeine free (i.e. rooibos tea), but the priority is feeling good and energetic.

I've recently realized I feel tired all the time and I never wake up feeling refreshed. I'm hoping removing caffeine from my diet fixes the problem.

Anyone still drink decaf but feel all the benefits that people mention from quitting caffeine? Just trying to set expectations for myself n whether I need to quit decaf too.
KidDoc
AG
Caffeine, aside from it being physically addicting, is a pretty amazing performance enhancing drug. If you don't have side effects already mentioned in this thread (insomnia, heart flutters, jitters, anxiety) and drink a moderate amount it seems to be safe and effective. Personally I drink 2-3 8 oz servings of coffee on most normal days and I have no intention of stopping any time soon because I don't have any physical side effects at this time. Also, with a thinking intensive job, I think it helps me perform at a consistently high level day in and day out.

Of course if I started to get symptoms I would certainly quit. However I have no anxiety beyond normal, pulse is in the steady 45-55 range, and sleep great (except when my son is stressing me out dang teens).

Props to those who cut it without symptoms as it is the most widely used drug in the world for centuries now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
monarch
S
A few weeks ago, I was in my office and as we do on most Friday's we have coffee and donuts. Most times I bring the donuts, even though I don't eat them and all the time, I don't drink coffee; prior to this specific morning, I cant remember the last time I had a cup. In any event, I got a little daring and fixed a cup. Honest truth, within 6-8 mins I was buzzing around the office like a bee. I was getting quizzical looks, people were looking at me like WTF? One person glaringly told me to go lock myself in my office until 4:00 (we leave at 3:00 on Friday). Now I know why I don't drink coffee. Not doing that again!

AA
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
Someone mentioned soda's earlier. I might, might drink one Pepsi a week (Coke screws my stomach up). On the other hand, because we play Sat night this week, I will pack two cans of Pepsi in a small cooler jammed with ice and on the way home I will more than likely consume both. Gives me something to do on the way home.
Peace for Ukraine!
Phat32
AG
One cup per day plus the caffeine from energy gels on occasion.

Biggest energy changer was changing diet. That has way more of an effect than you think. If you need 4-5 cups, you are probably eating garbage.
Tonyperkis
AG
I'm on Day 6. My sleeping is already substantially improved (feel more tired at night - refreshed in the morning) and I feel like the fog I had in the first few days without caffeine is gone.

I would recommend a caffeine cleanse for anyone, even if you don't think it's negatively affecting you, just to see how your body responds. I would have said it had no negative effects on me but clearly that was not the case.
Matsui
AG
nice work! you are well on your way and past the initial rough phase.
Tonyperkis
AG
Thanks Matsui!
Gabster43213
I used to drink about 15 glasses of iced tea a day. Quit on a dime about 3 months ago with absolutely no side effects. I have since gone back to about 3-4 a day with none after 4pm. Now if I could no the same thing about alcohol.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I've been off coffee for 8 months now and I feel great. I am as focused(maybe more so) in the morning as I was when I was drinking the stuff. I've introduced a glass of unsweet tea back into my diet around lunch time but that's really it.

I second the comment that those who are on it should try and go some time without it just to see how your body does after it's out of your system.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.