Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

459,776 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TraditionsPD said:

I just purchased my bike but it won't be here until the end of July. Does anyone have recommendations for a size 15 shoe?
I would look at Pearl Izumi models. If you have an REI nearby they probably have a pretty wide selection and good pricing relative to what most bike shops will carry.
TraditionsPD
AG
REI was sold out of everything in my size. I did find a pair of Louis Garneau online
txags92
AG
TraditionsPD said:

REI was sold out of everything in my size. I did find a pair of Louis Garneau online
Garneau is my go to brand. I have been riding indoors and outdoors with them for about 15 years. Very durable shoes..
TraditionsPD
AG
Thanks I got the platinum 2. I might try a few spin classes at lifetime until my bike gets here
txaggie05
AG
I figure it's good to have the output numbers up to make sure you're pulling up your average output. I turn everything else off. No heart rate, no leaderboard, time is negotiable.
txags92
AG
I like to have the numbers up when I test to make sure I am not slacking off. I set a goal when I start the test that I am going to stay above. At the end of each 5 mins I reevaluate and decide if I can go harder for the next 5.
Nitro Power
AG
I never have my heart rate visible. For whatever reason it is a mental block.

Also I have always had plans for my FTP test, and find out I always divert.
tbirdspur2010
AG
How often do you test? I'm still new to this but I've only tested once (and that was really just to set my initial PZs
Ragoo
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

How often do you test? I'm still new to this but I've only tested once (and that was really just to set my initial PZs
just FYI, my triathlon training program tests once a month. I would think testing more is not allowing your body to properly build. I don't peloton, wife does, but I only test out about + 5-10 watts each month. Usually just 5.
txags92
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

On the peloton, I think I have only done it 2 or 3 times. But on the trainer before I had a peloton I used 20 min ftp tests to set training goals and I designed a 2x8min ftp test spin class that I taught at the gym. I wouldn't test any more frequently than once a month and unless you are doing really intense build efforts towards a specific goal, testing every 2-3 months is plenty. The only exception I would make to that is if you are brand new and doing alot of power based work, you are going to see changes to your ftp more quickly than people that have been riding a long time who already have a steady aerobic base. So monthly testing is probably reasonable for a few months to keep up with your gains when you first start.
dodger02
AG
I got my bike in December 2019. I took an initial test to set my PZ in January and didn't know what I was doing. It was set really low.

Took a second about 6 weeks later and improved a bit. But after about 2 months of weak PZ classes, figured I'd take it again and go balls out. I did, and improved my score by 56 pts.

Now, my zones seem set accurately, as my PZ classes are much more challenging.
StringerBell
AG
Just got done with the test. Ftp went up 15 points

Pls excuse me while I go and die in a quiet hole now
TraditionsPD
AG
Switched my order to a refurbished one and got 400 off
Aggie09Derek
AG
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29206382/peloton-all-star-ride-watch-rory-mciroy-booger-mcfarland-bubba-watson-alysson-felix-compete
StringerBell
AG
im really excited about that. booger is a beast.
dave99ag
AG
They should find a pro cyclist to absolutely humble all of them.
StringerBell
AG
so it's 16 people tryign to reach a collective output of 3000 for a 20 minute ride.

meaning everyone has to get 187 ish

that doesnt seem too hard
Aggie09Derek
AG
that will be very very easy for that group.

Most of those people in that group can do double that amount easily (on the guys side).
StringerBell
AG
that's just to get the 1mil meals from peloton which i assume they were going to do anyways.

the article says competition between two divisions.

wonder how all this is going to be broken up
Nitro Power
AG
Can we ride along?
tbirdspur2010
AG
Thanks for the info/tips, y'all!
gvine07
AG
Doesn't look like it, Alex posted we can do the ride after.
txags92
AG
Ok, trying to get ready for the June PZP challenge...hadn't realized I had been off the bike so long while doing yard work and getting house chores done while working 50-60 hour weeks. First ride in 28 days, so I decided to do that 45 min Rock Ride from Kendall that blew up TBird. Y'all weren't kidding around...set my 45 min PR by 19 kJ at 504. Had Texan_in_Indy nipping at my heels all ride long to keep me working hard and he got me by 2-3 kJ in the last 3 mins.
Nitro Power
AG
I was going to take that one the other day, but ever since the last challenge ended I haven't been feeling it. So I decided to do Wilpers EDM Ride. I also set a PR at 493. I remember thinking after it was done, "that Kendall ride would have been a terrible terrible idea". But in any event, I am getting about ready to fire it back up after the short break (glad it wasn't too long). The challenges are a really great way (for me at least) to be accountable and stay on the bike. Hoping also to get some road time in the coming weeks as well.
StringerBell
AG
knocked out the last of the power zone program today in the new zones and i definitely feel like they're more reflective of my ability. excited to start the PZP challenge on monday.

not sure what rides im gonna do for the next few days. thinking about some long climbs or something.
Nitro Power
AG
What team and how many rides/week?
StringerBell
AG
3-69 (lol)

3 rides a week although I wish I had done more because I'm gonna be riding 6-7 times a week easily.
singer10
AG
I did the 3 ride a week team on the last challenge and still rode 6 times at least. 3 core ride, accelerator ride and then two extra credit rides. Plenty of time in the saddle.
txags92
AG
3-81...first PZP challenge. Not sure how it will go, But looking forward to the motivation to ride more consistently.
AgFB
AG
I dropped down to the 3+ ride one and plan on riding at least 6 times a week.

I have done the 5+ for about 5-6 challenges and it was getting too much. I felt like a lazy ass if I didn't do all 9 each week.
mrsbeer05
AG
I am loving the tags! Did a PZE ride with Wilpers this morning because 3 other #texasaggies were riding
StringerBell
AG
I wish there was a run the jewels themed ride
Nitro Power
AG
Looks like some of the live in studio classes are back. That's nice.
JoeOlson
AG
Out of curiosity, what is the real benefit of the live studio? I'm 40 something rides in and have only done on-demand. Shoutouts don't really carry a ton of weight for me
tysker
AG
The shoutout problem is only getting worse with all these new riders. Too many milestones!

For me taking the live classes work best when they're part of my schedule and regime. In the past Robin always had a 5AM tabata ride on Thursday, Matt or Christine would have at least a 60 min ride on Sat, Jenn has her 60 min pre-football rides on Sunday morning. When I know they're coming, I would work certain rides into my weekly workout schedule. I've never taken a live strength or yoga class but I'm sure it would work similarly and then you can stack on a ride or run.
First Page Last Page
Page 37 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.