Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

459,792 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txags92
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I gave each other a Peloton bike for Christmas. With us having 2 kids now leaving the house to go out on rides is a thing of the past for me (for a couple of years). They are pricey but its a pretty cool concept IMHO. It just got delivered today but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. I have ridden a floor model at NorthPark in Dallas and was very impressed.

Do you any of you guys have a Peleton also? If so, add me "DOUGinTEXAS"

Peloton Cycle

If you buy a bike feel free to use my referral code:
8K8EA2

If you use that we each get $100 worth of merchandise

If you'd like to follow TexAgs posters on the bike I'll post their name on here followed by their name on the bike....

easttexasaggie04: DOUGinTEXAS
Scriffer: benhereforyears
ILikeTacos: ILikeTacos
tailgatetimer10: tailgatetimer
CFTXAG10: TheTineAg
TxAgs92: TxAgs92
TxAgs92's wife:TxWaterwench
'03ag: MeltdownAg
aggiemeg06: megbmedina
Nitro Power: NitroPowered
K Bo: kbohtx
Guitarsoup: SlowTom
TRD-Ferguson: AggieJames
YellAg2004: Spin4BlueBell
txam92: txam92
mrsbeer05: DrBeer
BQRyno: BQRyno
TheBiggerEvent: trentarm6
aznaggiegirl07: Jeweles_07
Joan Wilder
AG
Interested to know your experience; I'm considering one of these once I recover from surgery. I quit my gym for orange theory, but I really miss spinning. The high end spinning studios are just too expensive for 45 min classes, too.
plowe32
AG
Clarke what do you think about orange theory?
Joan Wilder
AG
I like the group training environment - the music and coaches are great and it's a very good one hour workout. I have never been someone who loved running but they do a good job breaking up the intervals and making it interesting.
plowe32
AG
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like exactly what I need. I'm going to try it out for a few months.
plowe32
AG
Oh and easttexas, I'm going to buy a peloton at some point now. Looks awesome. Need to get the wife on board first. Please keep us posted on how you like it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I can't say enough good things about this bike. This morning was my 4th ride in four days. The instructors are top notch and the build quality on the bike is very good IMO. I've been doing the live classes of my favorite instructors. On weekdays the earliest live class is at 5 CST and on weekends I believe the earliest 6:30 CST. However they have on demand classes that you can take whenever you want. There are endurance classes, max capacity classes, high intensity classes, then they have stuff like "hip hop spin" and so forth if you are into that. I just prefer the live classes because it's cool to hear them comment on how early it is or what day it is, etc. It makes you feel as thought you are into the studio. If you have any questions about the bike just let me know.

They have 0% interest for a year going on right now.

Pros:
- bike build quality
- user interface is super easy
- instructors are awesome
- syncs with strava automatically
- tablet that mounts to bike is awesome
- multiple users on one bike is a breeze
- leader boards during rides are a huge motivation
- Real time data shown on screen (distance, calories, heart rate (if wearing a monitor), watts, cadence)

Cons:
- I got all the accessories and 3 year extended warranty and I believed it came to $2800 delivered after tax (they have 0% interest for a year)
- $39/month for the subscription to the classes isn't included in the initial price
- There are better deals on bikes out there, obviously. But they don't have the classes available that this one does
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm thinking about doing a video review and putting it up on YouTube because I didn't see very many good ones on there. Just ignore my deep east texas accent.
Joan Wilder
AG
Thanks for the review east Texas - that's really helpful.
easttexasaggie04
AG
If you use my referral code we both get $100 worth of Peloton merchandise: 8K8EA2
slowmach
Put my order in yesterday, Im excited! I had a friend in town buy one and they love it as well.

My main goal is to get into shape and lose weight. I enjoy riding mountain bikes but have been too out of shape to touch a bike. Kinda depressing thinking how much I have invested in bikes and don't use them, I hope this will change that.
End Of Message
94chem
Quote:

$39/month for the subscription to the classes isn't included in the initial price
More than a Gold's Gym membership? Kind of defeats the purpose. Glad OP has gotten 4 for 4 on spins, but the kids can become the reason you have to get out of the house to workout.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Everybody is in a different situation. I have a triathlon bike sitting in my garage that I never get to ride anymore because I can't go ride it at 5:00am before the family wakes up. However I can get on this bike and get in an hour spin class and not have to worry about getting hit by a car before the sun comes up. I'm also a member of a local gym, but they don't offer spin.
suprafly03
AG
Still enjoying it?

Looks like fun, I'm just not convinced I'd stick with it...

I'm in East Texas too. I don't know if you live in Tyler or not, but my slide into being an overweight, out of shape blob began when they closed loop 49 to bike traffic. that was so awesome while it lasted.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm still really liking it. I've been doing the 5 or 6am live classes and mixing in a run some mornings after. I'm really impressed with the instructors and the quality of the bike. It's so quiet that my wife can't hear me riding it while she's sleeping in the bed in the same room.
Seven Costanza
AG
There's something very creepy about riding a stationary bike in a dark room next to an unconscious person.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Haha I agree. But that's the best place for it on our house.
thirty-two
AG
Keeping on eye on this thread... very interested...
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm currently about 15 rides in. Still really liking the workout this bike gives me. There are different types of workouts depending on what you want to do that day (high intensity training, endurance, max calacity, music themed,etc). You'll also find you have instructors that will motivate you to work harder than others. All of my PR's are with the same instructor.

If you have any specific questions about the bike and software just let me know. So far I have zero complaints. As a cyclist myself, this is piece of a equipment was a great match for me. However my wife hates riding bikes and loves it as well
thirty-two
AG
How much space does the bike take up? Do you have the bike over carpet, wood, tile? Curious how sweaty the floor underneath gets. I'm guessing you can put it on top of a mat of some sort?

Is the monthly membership per person? Per household?

CFTXAG10
AG
I would consider it if this guy was leading class....

End Of Message
AG
thirty-two said:

How much space does the bike take up? Do you have the bike over carpet, wood, tile? Curious how sweaty the floor underneath gets. I'm guessing you can put it on top of a mat of some sort?

Is the monthly membership per person? Per household?

I train on a cycleops fluid trainer when i cant get on the road....i sweat ALL over the place, so its in my garage.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Peloton has a mat you can purchase that is 36" x 72". However as you can see by my pictures below, the bike isn't near that big (my 4 year old loves to pose for pictures). We have ours on our wood floor and it performs great. I do use a gym towel to help with sweat and I even wear a dorky headband to keep it from running down my face. We have a bay window in our bedroom and the bike fits nicely there and isn't in the way of anything. It was pretty much just an empty spot before.

As far as the monthly subscription, the $39/month is per household. I believe you can have as many users as you want. However there might be a limit. I know my wife and I both have usernames so our data is saved differently. It's super easy to switch in between our accounts.

This photo shows a live ride with the leader board on the right. As you work harder you move up the leader board in real time. If you are the competitive type it is a great motivation. There are usually between 200 - 500 riders in a class. It shows their user name and profile picture.

If you decide to pull the trigger on one, use this link and we both get 2 months free.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Seven Costanza said:

There's something very creepy about riding a stationary bike in a dark room next to an unconscious person.

was starting to picture my buddy easttexasaggie as jason bateman going through his morning routine, then...

Quote:

I do use a gym towel to help with sweat and I even wear a dorky headband

Madmarttigan
AG
This whole thing seems crazy expensive to me. 2000 dollars for a bike plus a subscription?
DeLaHonta
AG
tv1113 said:

This whole thing seems crazy expensive to me. 2000 dollars for a bike plus a subscription?
It's expensive for a stationary bike, but it's intended for people who normally go to a spin class. If you estimate an average spin class to be $25-30 each session, then the break even point of this bike (not counting monthly fees) is only 65-80 classes.

If you're not an avid spin class fan, but just like to bike, then the main perk is being able to do it indoors at any time of day and still have a competitive environment to push yourself, which is the main key over a trainer or rollers. I have a few friends and family members who normally ride outdoors, but with babies and young kids, they're not able to leave the house. This allows them to sill get a bike workout in, but not have CPS called for ditching your young kids at home.
easttexasaggie04
AG
That's where I am right now. I love riding outside but with a 2 month old and 4 year old this is pretty much my only option.
txags92
AG
DeLaHonta said:

tv1113 said:

It's expensive for a stationary bike, but it's intended for people who normally go to a spin class. If you estimate an average spin class to be $25-30 each session, then the break even point of this bike (not counting monthly fees) is only 65-80 classes.

If you're not an avid spin class fan, but just like to bike, then the main perk is being able to do it indoors at any time of day and still have a competitive environment to push yourself, which is the main key over a trainer or rollers. I have a few friends and family members who normally ride outdoors, but with babies and young kids, they're not able to leave the house. This allows them to sill get a bike workout in, but not have CPS called for ditching your young kids at home.
I can't understand the whole idea of paying $25-30 per class for a spin class. I go to Memorial Athletic Club in Houston, and our couples membership was about $60/month and it includes unlimited spinning and other group exercise classes. We have something like 20 spin classes available each week from as early as 5am to as late as 6:30pm. My wife and I have been members there since 2004, and started spinning there around 2006. Nearly all the spin classes are taught by people who ride outdoors, so there is none of the dancing around and lifting weights nonsense, just good variety of cycling focused workouts. We actually got certified 2 years ago and have been teaching Thursday nights and Sundays since then so our gym membership is free now. With the quality of the instructors there and the number of classes you get for free with your membership, I just can't fathom going somewhere else and paying 25-30 per class.
easttexasaggie04
AG
The nearest spin class for me is about a 45 minute drive (and in another state). I will say I enjoy the arm workouts toward the end of the ride sometimes. Also, lots of folks enjoy the dancing and music. It's about having fun too. Peloton has instructors that focus on both styles of teaching. But it sounds like Peloton isn't a fit for you, that's cool.
Post removed:
by user
txags92
AG
Wasn't trying to bag on the Peleton at all. If I didn't have easy access to a gym with good classes, I would be very interested. I have a trainer at home that I ride sometimes too. I was more trying to figure out how the studios convince folks to pay $25-30 per class. One of the things I like about the program at our gym is that they let us come up with our own profiles and playlists for our classes. So you really can get a little bit of anything depending on the instructors. I have heard of other gyms that force their instructors to all learn and teach specific profiles from a specific playlist. That would get very boring for me whether I was teaching or taking the class.
Hodor
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

If you use this link to purchase your Peloton we both get 2 months free use of their spinning classes ($80 value).

Buy a bike - 2 months free
Pointed my wife to this, and she decided to pull the trigger last week. Delivered on Friday, and now I'm 3 rides in. You should see the credit on your account by now.

So far I have really enjoyed it. I used to ride a road bike, but having seen too many CT scans with the history of "Auto vs. Bicycle", combined with every other person on the road distracted by their phone, I haven't ridden it in a while. I could never motivate myself to use the trainer. I thought about doing spin classes when I had a membership at Golds, but never could make my schedule work with theirs'. I like that I can do live rides when the timing works for me, or do recorded ones when it doesn't, and still be able to have a unique ride each time.

I initially was turned off by the monthly membership cost. With my wife and 14 yo daughter using it, too (and my son saying that he wants to try it out as well), I'm not as bothered.
Joan Wilder
AG
If you belong to a gym, spin classes are typically included which is a very good deal IF the instructors, music, class times, race to reserve a bike, and bikes are good for you.
This would work out the same cost as a gym membership.

It's places like SoulCycle and Ryde that charge $25/class. I have taken those classes but that's insane for a 45 min workout.

Thanks for the updates - I think I'm going to buy one of these once we buy a new house.
slowmach
I'm 5 rides in and love the bike, worth every penny to me. I have gone up in output every ride and is exciting to see the quick improvements. I recommend to anyone looking!
Last Page
Page 1 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.