Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,178 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
AgFB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the middle of my fifth power zone challenge. Happy with the results but man those FTP tests are going to kill me.
http://imgur.com/a/nINj2mk
Forget it. Can't post a pic anymore apparently.

I'm doing the pelofondo April 25. First really long ride. Anyone have any in-ride nutrition tips?
txags92
AG
AgFB said:

In the middle of my fifth power zone challenge. Happy with the results but man those FTP tests are going to kill me.
http://imgur.com/a/nINj2mk
Forget it. Can't post a pic anymore apparently.

I'm doing the pelofondo April 25. First really long ride. Anyone have any in-ride nutrition tips?
[img][/img]
AggieOO
All live classes are canceled for the rest of April due to an employee at the NYC studio contracting covid-19.
AgFB
AG
Thanks for the assist.

I think I've only done two live rides in the year and a half that I've had it. Surprised the live classes lasted that long in NYC.
bthotugigem05
AG
I like the encore concept though, where it's a replay but it has a live leaderboard for those leaderboarders out there.

Almost a week with my bike at home and couldn't love it any more. I'm getting some intermittent clicking noise which I think means maintenance visit when things calm down virus-wise (but isn't damaging the rest of the bike).
txags92
AG
AgFB said:

Thanks for the assist.

I think I've only done two live rides in the year and a half that I've had it. Surprised the live classes lasted that long in NYC.
Well, since mid-March or so, they have only been "live" in the sense that the instructor was riding and teaching in real-time from the studio. The studio has not had any other riders in it, just the instructor and whoever runs their cameras/lighting, etc. But yeah, I am honestly surprised they kept doing them given how bad it was getting in NYC.
BB675
AG
We've had our Peloton for roughly 8-10 months now. I have really enjoyed it as a means for cardio work in addition to weight lifting. I am curious what everyone's PR is. I feel like I am not progressing much but maybe that is because I am only riding 2-3x a week. I just surpassed 300kj for my PR this morning with 301kj.
dodger02
AG
What length of a ride or are you asking about FTP?
DeLaHonta
AG
Don't compare yourselves to others, only to yourself. The bikes are all calibrated differently. I recalibrated mine about a year ago and my output dropped 20% overnight.

When I want to compete with people on the leaderboard, I wait until about 5-10 minutes into the ride and then compete against the people near me on the leaderboard. It's impossible to know if their bike is calibrated the same as mine or not, but at least it's someone with similar output to what my bike is measuring me at.
AggieOO
I've actually never done a live ride. Prefer to hop on an ride when I want.l vs waiting for a class.
txags92
AG
BB675 said:

We've had our Peloton for roughly 8-10 months now. I have really enjoyed it as a means for cardio work in addition to weight lifting. I am curious what everyone's PR is. I feel like I am not progressing much but maybe that is because I am only riding 2-3x a week. I just surpassed 300kj for my PR this morning with 301kj.
Depends on how long the ride is. I just looked, and my PRs are 618kj for 60min, 486kj for 45min and 317kj for 30min. But there are a whole bunch of factors that go into what you can achieve.

I am 50, heavier than I should be, but have years of teaching spinning classes and riding outdoors under my belt. But I also have MS and take a med that lowers my hematocrit and have a family history of anemia that limits the aerobic capacity I can realistically hope to achieve. I have actually set a few PRs on my 2nd ride of the day. Coming into the ride already fully warm after a 20-30 min ride means you do more early in the ride while everybody else is warming up. How hard you go during "recovery" will also affect how your total output for the class ends up.

I wouldn't necessarily focus on PRs as a measure of progress, unless you are going back to the same class or classes each time you go for a new PR. If you are not recovering properly during a class, you may see a higher total output, but you may get less out of the class. You are better off taking the Power zone FTP test every month or two and using that as a measure of whether your aerobic capacity is improving.
bthotugigem05
AG
My general goal is to get a score 10x the length of the class (as long as its not a power zone class). So 300 for a 30 minute class, 450 for 45 minutes, etc. my PRs are a little higher (362 and 505, respectively) but since my volume is skyrocketing during quarantine I'm just keeping it close to those numbers so I don't burn out.
Aggie09Derek
AG
That's kind of where I'm at, the 10x goal for a class

But every single person is gonna be a bit different in their fitness and for their body. I'm bigger/fatter so I can do more than some skinny girl who is in MUCH better shape and would smoke me in a ride outside on a bike.
BB675
AG
The 301 PR is for a 30 min class.
StringerBell
AG
i dont mean to hijack this thread but I'm really considering a peleton, but am struggling with getting rid of orange theory (i do 2 classes a week, 3 at the most). otf is right down the street from work and is super convenient, but i dont go there at all on weekends i really enjoy the process of going to a gym and just being told what to do, but on the flip side I'm getting old and have bad feet so the thought of lower impact is really appealing to me and being able to go on weekends sounds really solid.

anyone transition from OTF to peleton? again sorry to butt in here.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Not personally but tons and tons on the Facebook group have made the switch and love it because of how similar it is. Leaderboard and sense of competition.

If/when you buy hit me up and I'll send you my code for the $100 off.
The Pilot
AG
If you aren't in a hurry to buy and once the stay at home order lifts, go try one out at the stores.
gvine07
AG
I did Camp Gladiator, which I think is similar to OTF (a lot of people leave one for the other).

I miss the full body workouts. Every workout had arms, core, back, and legs. I've dislocated both shoulders and CG was the best thing for them. Peloton has Boot Camp classes with the Tread(mill) and Cardio classes that are similar workouts, but not the same as an in-person trainer and buddies (I'm social). MUCH more convenient though.

I have 2 little kids and the Peloton is the better option, but there's stuff I miss.
YellAg2004
AG
gvine07 said:

I did Camp Gladiator, which I think is similar to OTF (a lot of people leave one for the other).

I miss the full body workouts. Every workout had arms, core, back, and legs. I've dislocated both shoulders and CG was the best thing for them. Peloton has Boot Camp classes with the Tread(mill) and Cardio classes that are similar workouts, but not the same as an in-person trainer and buddies (I'm social). MUCH more convenient though.

I have 2 little kids and the Peloton is the better option, but there's stuff I miss.
I would agree with this. I've done CG, OTF, and currently (pre-stay-at-home order) F45. Peloton is great and I'm really glad that we have ours (especially now), but it is different than a group class with people you see on a daily basis and become friends with.

If the social aspect isn't that big of a deal to you, Peloton, especially with all the classes available in the app, is a great alternative.
StringerBell
AG
Really appreciate the feedback

The social aspect is no big deal to me...just the discipline associated with having a block of time between 8-5 where I can just go get work done. Main thing I'm worried about is working out at home but then I'll also get to work out at home on the weekends.
Spinnaker96
AG
I'm an OTF guy, and still have my membership in McKinney while all of this stuff is going on. I will definitely go back, but Peloton is simply phenomenal. I dig the cycling, but I also enjoy everything else that comes with it (outdoor runs, stretching, meditation).

I don't burn nearly as many calories in a peloton ride (600kcal) as I would in an equally long OTF workout (900+ kcal) but you can't beat the convenience.

Peloton strength workouts are slow paced versus what I experienced at OTF.

I guess this is all to say that both have their merits, but that I think you'd enjoy what Peloton brings to the table.
Nitro Power
AG
In regards to PR/output. I personally like setting PR but I'm only competing against myself. I don't particularly concern myself with the bike being calibrated either. As long as it's consistent ride to ride I'm good with that. It's kinda of like a Fitbit. I don't believe the calories i burn each day are accurate, but the computation method is the same so I definitely know if I burned more one day compared to another. Hopefully I was able to convey the message I was trying to get across.
bthotugigem05
AG
I just found out there are yacht rock rides on demand and today is now the best day ever
dsharp90
AG
Bike is here! Wife is on it now, I plan on doing my first ride later tonight after the kids go to bed. Any suggestions on where to start for a chubby 30 yr old dude 3.5 months off patellofemoral ligament reconstruction/lateral release surgery? I've never done a spin class but have done what seems like years of stationary bike in PT...
mrsbeer05
AG
dsharp90 said:

Bike is here! Wife is on it now, I plan on doing my first ride later tonight after the kids go to bed. Any suggestions on where to start for a chubby 30 yr old dude 3.5 months off patellofemoral ligament reconstruction/lateral release surgery? I've never done a spin class but have done what seems like years of stationary bike in PT...

Start with either a low impact or a Power zone edurance ride
Aggie09Derek
AG
Start with low impact or a beginner 20 min ride. Can work your way to harder and longer things.

Power zone classes are pretty ideal once you get the hang of it.
tysker
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I just found out there are yacht rock rides on demand and today is now the best day ever
Good stuff. I recall seeing Jenn Sherman having a bunch of Yacht Rock rides over the years. She's an underrated and understated instructor imo.

Kendall put up a new Metal ride recently so I guess she's going to fill that musical gap with the other Jennifer leaving.
bthotugigem05
AG
I did that metal ride yesterday, it's wonderful
txags92
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Start with low impact or a beginner 20 min ride. Can work your way to harder and longer things.

Power zone classes are pretty ideal once you get the hang of it.
There are short power zone beginner rides also. I would do one of those or a low impact ride.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm pretty sure they actually have a beginner program, I'd go through that.
dodger02
AG
Go to the programs tab and work a few days in the beginner programs. See how you feel and then branch out into the regular 20 min programs. After a couple of weeks, take an FTP test to set your power zones and then you're on your way.
dsharp90
AG
I went ahead and got the first ride in with Sam Yo's 20min Low Impact. I really liked it! Had to hold back on the speed portion because I was having a little pain but much better than I was expecting. Only issue is the seat is a wee bit uncomfortable in a certain area... But I'm hooked.

Username is dsharp90 if you want to add
bthotugigem05
AG
Your butt and assorted parts will feel weird for about 10 days and then it'll just feel normal
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Your butt and assorted parts will feel weird for about 10 days and then it'll just feel normal
I'm right at 10 days this afternoon... hoping that's the case lol
mrsbeer05
AG
Dalton Hughes said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I'm right at 10 days this afternoon... hoping that's the case lol

Or just get padded shorts.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.