Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,134 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just did an FTP test again over the weekend. Up 23 watts from last April. Feels like it is working. Now if I can just keep going with my diet while locked in the house every day with all this food and alcohol... Going to be doing the April Activity Challenge and trying to ride or workout every day. Will test again in early May. I am interested to see how much I can accomplish in a month if I really hit it hard.
bthotugigem05
AG
My next goal is to break 400 pelotons or outputs or whatever they're called on a 30 minute ride
The Pilot
AG
Do any of y'all follow Bob Sturm from the ticket on Peloton? He kills it on the bike but I've got some doubts about his numbers, he acknowledges they might be off.

Nitro Power
AG
What was your new FTP? I took mine last Sunday and it went up only 6 watts to 295. I thought it would have gone up more, but better than going backwards.
dodger02
dodger02
AG
Kudos for putting a (real?) pic of yourself in your profile. I ain't putting my ugly mug out there for everyone to see.
bthotugigem05
AG
Haha thanks, it was taken by the best headshot photographer in the world so I use that sucker everywhere I can
Nitro Power
AG
Thanks to Zurcaled for putting the original list together. Since there have been a number of additions since the first list was published, I decided to take the original list and put it in a google spreadsheet so each of you can update / add to it. I changed my name on here from Whiskey Jacket, and my Peloton name is now NitroPowered (formerly SlideRule)...I know I know.. with the name changes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ml9X1qr3LkQK2Z5j-404Kt0OuRKeVIWO/view?usp=sharing

txags92
AG
My new FTP is 209w. Was 187. Output during the test was 220. I just turned 50 2 weeks ago and up until a couple of months ago, I was on injected interferon beta for my MS that tends to knock my hematocrit down to at or below the bottom of the "normal" range. I am taking a break from it until this corona stuff calms down since it lowers my immune system slightly. So that is a pretty good number for me. I would love to get to an FTP of 240-250 and a body weight under 220 by the end of the summer.
XpressAg09
AG
Out of curiosity, what is your "warmup" resistance and cadence? For example, I typically do the first minute at 90 cadence and 40 resistance which is just under 150w.

My bigger question is, at that combination is 140-150 output what y'all have to?

Asking for calibration's sake.
Nitro Power
AG
Since most everything I do is PZ, my first song is 42R / 95-105C which equates to a high zone 1 or low zone 2 (160-170)
txags92
AG
The bikes will all read the same output for the same resistance/cadence combination. The question is how consistent the resistance is from bike to bike, and there is quite a bit out there suggesting they are not terribly consistent. By that, I mean resistance 40 may feel harder on one bike than another, but cadence 90 plus resistance 40 will be the same output number on any bike. I believe there is a way to recalibrate if you are really worried about it, but my advice is to compete against yourself when it comes to output and just use the leaderboard for fun and high five the people with funny usernames.

Jethro95
AG
My warm-up numbers are around 60 watts at 95 cadence and 27 resistance. To get to 140 output I am around 85 cadence and 40 resistance. FTP is currently 120 up from 75 when I started this in October.
gvine07
AG
Exactly. I saw on Facebook some people went into the store to do their 100th ride and easily did their best because they could go so much higher on resistance than at home.
bthotugigem05
AG
Got the bike today, freaking love it and already knocked out a ride.
txags92
AG
gvine07 said:

Exactly. I saw on Facebook some people went into the store to do their 100th ride and easily did their best because they could go so much higher on resistance than at home.
That could be true, but it could also be the adrenaline of riding live with a group in public like that when they are used to riding alone at home. I know that before I started doing group century/metric century rides with a heart rate monitor, I would typically go out really fast and be amazed at how easy it was to keep up for the first 20-30 minutes. Then the adrenaline would wear off and I would be completely gassed for about the next hour until I recovered. When I got a heart rate monitor and started tracking my HR, I found that I was going out WAY too hard early in group rides, but wasn't feeling how hard it was because of the adrenaline rush. Then I would pay for it for the rest of the ride.

Then again, I assume there is marketing value for Peloton to have people raving about doing a PR during an in-studio live ride.
txags92
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Got the bike today, freaking love it and already knocked out a ride.
The best part about having it at home is the ability to roll out of bed, climb on and ride, stretch, then go straight to a shower...without having to deal with anything else along the way.
dodger02
AG
Especially when I'm stuck at home on quasi-quarantine.
dave99ag
AG
Looks like they've suspended live rides for the time being. I rarely get to do them, so no biggie. Plenty in the catalog to choose.
txags92
AG
Given what is going on in NYC right now and the size of their on demand catalog, that is totally understandable right now.
bthotugigem05
AG
Dunno why we have to name our bikes, but may I present to you an unnecessarily tilt-shifted shot of my new baby, Peloton McPelotonFace

txags92
AG
dave99ag said:

Looks like they've suspended live rides for the time being. I rarely get to do them, so no biggie. Plenty in the catalog to choose.

I assume you mean in person live rides? Because the app is still showing 4-5 live classes per day...mostly in the morning.
dave99ag
AG
Apparently they are going to stop the studio recordings. I think my wife saw it on the Facebook.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Makes sense. Still have to have a few people in there to operate it. Tons and tons of rides - no need to put anyone at risk in NYC right now.
Nitro Power
AG
txags92 said:

dave99ag said:

I assume you mean in person live rides? Because the app is still showing 4-5 live classes per day...mostly in the morning.

I looked at next weeks schedule and nothing there. I guess they are shutting that down too. The good thing is they have rides out the wazoo...
txags92
AG
They have only been showing live rides about 3-4 days out for about a week now. I cant find anything about cancelling them entirely. Suspect they will populate the schedule as next week gets closer. Even if they do cancel them, I totally understand why they would do it.
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
With gyms closed, I joined the club last week. Bike arrived today, and got my first ride in!
tysker
AG
I've already done two cardio dance classes with my daughter as part of our daily exercise routine.
Not sure which is worse: the class itself or realizing that I'm probably a better dancer than my daughter (I think she's trying too hard to get it right whereas I dont really care)
bthotugigem05
AG
Yes.
CFTXAG10
AG
Got a question for you Peloton folks, I have been on the fence for a while, but this quarantine life has me seriously considering jumping on board. Question is, if I buy the bike does the $39/month service get included for any length of time or is that something you start paying for monthly upfront?

I have two gym memberships that are frozen right now so might as well re-direct those funds into this. TIA.
XpressAg09
AG
The $39 per month is your new membership fee. It gets you the hundreds (maybe thousands) of classes in the library and live classes.

Not just biking, but running, boot camp, yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.
AggieOO
CFTXAG10 said:

Got a question for you Peloton folks, I have been on the fence for a while, but this quarantine life has me seriously considering jumping on board. Question is, if I buy the bike does the $39/month service get included for any length of time or is that something you start paying for monthly upfront?

I have two gym memberships that are frozen right now so might as well re-direct those funds into this. TIA.
the app is free for 90 days right now. however, if you buy a bike, not sure if they delay charging you for 3 months, but i'd sure as hell make that argument when I ordered.
dodger02
AG
Now seems like a good time to post my referral code: ZU88QE. That'll get you $100 off any bike and accessory (shoes, mat, weights, HR monitor, etc.) package.

Regarding the membership fee, the $39/mo starts at delivery. There's no contract and nothing pre-paid and you can cancel at any time. But once you do cancel, the bike loses most of its appeal. You can no longer access their library of classes.

I agree with OO - if I were buying today, I'd do my damnedest to get those first 90 days waived.
dave99ag
AG
I primarily use the bike, but one thing I've noticed is that the Android app sucks compared to the iOS version. There's no GPS tracking, so any outdoor run you do is only listed for time. Something to consider if you want to use the digital service.
RustyBoltz
AG
My SO's interest had persisted since last summer but I held off through the holidays (and that commercial "fiasco"). We happened across a store while visiting the Domain over spring break; a week later I placed the order; and on 3/18 she was happily surprised with the delivery.

She loves it. She has a road bike but doesn't love cycling for exercise. She's also tried beach body subscriptions and the like and couldn't stay engaged. She used to attend yoga classes but struggled with scheduling them around her work.
She has done a class or two everyday since it was delivered. She says they are more engaging, even the recordings, than any of her other workout programs and the variety of the Digital subscription lets her substitute a yoga class or floor exercise on a day her energy is low but still wants to complete a Peloton workout. And finally, the variety of classes lets her get in a 10min workout right away if there's a sudden beak in her schedule, or just plan for a longer 45min class later in the day.

She's happy, I'm happy.
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.