Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Dry January

8,382 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChiveOn
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everybody still good? Last weekend!

I hate you for this GeriatricPunk.
always gig em
AG
Still hanging in there since last reported. Not really missing it (sorta), but man do I feel great. I've also cut out carbs to a high degree and started exercising again a couple weeks back and feel so much better. I said I wouldn't drink until the super bowl and I'll keep my word (truthfully may not drink at all) but my drinking patterns will be forever changed regardless. I've realized I'm not getting any younger and now is literally the time for me to step back and realize some things.

Not gonna lie though, part of me wants to party Old School style so bad.
RedlineAg08
That's awesome.

We went on vacation with in laws half way thru the month and that ruined it. But we're resolved to only have a drink on Friday Date Night and I love the feeling of waking up full
of energy on the weekends.

But I too am fighting these urges to go Old School.. lol
Endo Ag
AG
Hoosegow
So who else has been to the liquor store in preparation for tomorrow? I already told my boss I'm going to be late Thursday.
MROD92
I made it, feel so good I've elected to continue into February
Bunk Moreland
I cracked here and there but have cut back a lot as I've been dieting. Going to continue keeping it to a minimum, or at least trying to.
Hoosegow
Roll call! Who made it?

Hoose?

HERE!!!
End Of Message
AG
Extended through February
Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm like Bunk. I started late and haven't given it up completely but only at 1 day a week max for the next month or so. This thread definitely helped me get it into gear. I had cut way back before the holidays but then gave that up when holiday season kicked it into gear. Next week resuming working out and diet after having sick kids and a respiratory and ear infection for the last two weeks. I Devin would love to see some others that are keeping it up to keep me motivated.
White Liberals=The Worst
Hoosegow said:

jake2011 said:

Life is a lot more fun and fulfilling when you don't need alcohol to have fun. Search for some hobbies.

Yah, no. It's cute that you think that, though.
Alcohol is a depressant. Much like with Xanax, people tend to use it as self medication for anxiety and depression type disorders. I am just as guilty of this as anyone, but it's pretty interesting how hard it is for people to get together in large groups without drinking. The thought of me going on a social outing with my dept with no alcohol (unless we were golfing or something) sounds pretty awful to me. Add booze to the mix and it sounds pretty solid.

Makes me wonder if the vast majority of humans struggle with anxiety or social anxiety disorders? And if so, is it really a DISorder?
lima bean
AG
Made it thru the entire month!

Going to see how far I can make it in Feb, but I am coming back to Texas this weekend. and something tells me there may be a margarita or two...
Seven Costanza
AG
Most people misunderstand the meaning of depressant. A depressant does not mean "something that makes you feel sad or depressed". It just means that it slows down activity in the central nervous system (decreased heart rate, decreased reaction time, etc. while under the effects of the drug) .
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoosegow said:

Everybody still good? Last weekend!

I hate you for this GeriatricPunk.

Ya, I am not a fan of myself either. I had a glass of Blanton's when I was offered a new job that signaled a return to Texas after 10 years in the desert and mountains. That was my lone exception. I'm not doing a dry-uary in February because we will be moving and I will need beer to get through days of lugging **** up and down the stairs.
White Liberals=The Worst
Seven Costanza said:

Most people misunderstand the meaning of depressant. A depressant does not mean "something that makes you feel sad or depressed". It just means that it slows down activity in the central nervous system (decreased heart rate, decreased reaction time, etc. while under the effects of the drug) .
True, I didn't mean to imply that, I just meant that people many times use it to self medicate their anxiety or depression similarly to how someone would with xanax or valium. It works for anxiety. That's why a happy hour with 30 coworkers and no alcohol sounds pretty awful to most people.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Hoosegow said:

I calculated it up. If I stop drinking I'll probably save $6,000 - $8,000 a year.

If I go 4 months, I'll have paid for my Westdide Reverse Hyper

I'm gonna need some detail on how this 6-8k per year is spent.
AggieOO
10andBOUNCE said:

Hoosegow said:

I calculated it up. If I stop drinking I'll probably save $6,000 - $8,000 a year.

Pretty simple. Use the low end. 6K a year. $500/mo. 4 weekends a month. So 125 a weekend. Go out Fri and sat, that 62.50 a night. Depending on where you go and what you drink, that's not hard. Have a beer or two during the week and that weekend number drops.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Hoosegow said:

not hard at all. i'm sober now but used to put that figure to shame. i started adding it all up one day to see how much it cost me over the years and quit because the figure was so appalling/depressing.
End Of Message
AG
Pissing away money
agman08
I'm on day 149 now. Speaking of pissing away money.
I used to go to the store EVERY morning and buy an 18 of Miller Lite and it was $22.15 and then I would get tall boys throughout the day, go to the bar, out to eat etc.
I figured on the safe side about $250 a week on booze.
It's disgusting how much I spent.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Great job! Keep it up.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Pissing away money
So literal it hurts (especially if you have the clap).
GIGEMeh
Have a wager with a coworker over who can go the longest without taking a drink. If we both make it to 1/1/18 it's a wash. While trash talking by telling him there's no way he will win this bet because I was mostly comitted to a dry 2017 anyway, he wanted to make a side bet that I couldn't finish the year dry if he loses the first bet.

Summary: I expect to be +$200. Not even including what I would have spent on alcohol (and coffee)!
ChiveOn
AG
I've 3.5 beers since Jan 1

honestly don't miss/crave it at all anymore

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.